• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Try TM Lewin's Detatchable Collar Shirts?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I saw them I immediately thought of SF but forgot the benefit of the detachable collar on one's shirt. I'd imagine it would make for easier laundering/replacing of the collar. But has anyone tried them?

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
I like detachable collars. I find the first thing to go on my shirts are the collar points, so IMO you'll get more bang for your buck with tunic shirts - plus you could probably order replacement collars if the one that comes with them wears out. There's also the benefit of changing collar syles, so you can subtly pretend you have a much larger wardrobe than you really do (since most people are unaware of them). I can also attest that the ladies notice, too.

I *do* have two TM Lewin tunic shirts, with no matching collars (bought on eBay), but I have around 50 detachable collars in various styles that I wear. I like them a lot - the fit is standard, and workmanship nothing to complain about. I wish they had a greater colour variety, though.

I would recommend you check out Stanley Ley, though. Great colour/pattern variety, and you get two matching collars with each shirt. I have a few of these, and my oldest ones are 5 years old and still going strong. They do have multi-buy sales, but they're in-store only, so if you're not in the UK you'll need a proxy.

Stanley Ley collars are cutaways, with removable collar stays in them. They're also reinforced somehow, do they are semi-stiff without needing any starch. Just a quick pass of the iron and you're done.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
When I saw them I immediately thought of SF but forgot the benefit of the detachable collar on one's shirt. I'd imagine it would make for easier laundering/replacing of the collar.

But has anyone tried them?

Regular fit. Bit of a dealbreaker unfortunately, otherwise i'd give them a go.

JakeLA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
When I saw them I immediately thought of SF but forgot the benefit of the detachable collar on one's shirt. I'd imagine it would make for easier laundering/replacing of the collar.

But has anyone tried them?

They don't sell the collars separately, so what's the point? I mean, other than fantasizing that you're in a Merchant Ivory movie?

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
Harvie and Hudson can make slim-fit ones, IIRC>

Seeing as you are now the newly appointed tunic shirt expert... what will these go for approximately? If you have had these made yourself of course.

I take it you order these on-line/abroad as well judging by your location.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Expert -
ffffuuuu.gif
, when do I start getting paid?!

But seriously, folks, H&H had an option on their site to have a shirt made to order. One of the collar options (after choosing fit, fabric, and cuff) was "tunic shirt". The price was around 70 Pounds IIRC. I'm on the site now and I can't find the MTO option anywhere. I've asked them - will let you know.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some very informative posts, thanks to all. I might just have to give it a go. They're doing half off or something right now.

Question, do the studs get in the way of anything? Not sure if I want cufflinks on my neck
uhoh.gif

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
No, the collar studs shouldn't be an issue. Your back stud will fit inside a buttonholed pocket on the back of your collar band, so it won't actually touch your skin. The only real risk in the back is snagging your tie on the stud, but if you take your time this won't be an issue. The flat base of the front stud will only touch your neck if the neckband and collar are too tight. When fitted properly, a detachable semi-stiff collar feels no different from an attached collar, and stiff collars are a little firm, but by no means uncomfortable. Mitchell at AAAC posted photos years ago on how to put a stiff collar on - here's the post. I would note that the shirt in question is a H&H tunic shirt. FWIW, my tunic shirts never bunch up like his did, so I suspect he might have put on a collar that's a bit snug. If I can ever get organised, I might post photos of some of my shirts. We'll see. If you end up wearing semi-stiff collars, you *can* fold them up to tie the tie, like a regular shirt collar

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
I have a few of them and are very happy with them. I am glad that they finally put them online, havign spent years badgering them to do so. They have quite a good selection of patterns availabile via their bricks-and-mortar shops, too.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Hi Anthony - good to hear from you again!

What sort of selection to they have in the B&M stores? Online offerings, while great, are limited to blue (3 patterns) and white.

Geoff

PS - H&H sent me a note to say that their "create your shirt" option should be available on their site by the end of next week.

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
PS - H&H sent me a note to say that their "create your shirt" option should be available on their site by the end of next week.

Cheers for the head's up, will keep an eye on it.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JakeLA
They don't sell the collars separately, so what's the point? I mean, other than fantasizing that you're in a Merchant Ivory movie?

If they dont sell the collars separately it would be pointless. Id like to get a light blue with the option of white or matching collar. If you cant buy multiple collars, its all for show.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads