• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone own an audi a4?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a used one. It's in really nice condition (looks as if it's new) but it does have a fair amount of kilometers on it. The price is really good though and it's a fully loaded 98. it's got 85k km on it right now. I'll probably put on 18-20k per year and I'd wanna keep for like 4 years before selling it.

They're supposed to have a good rep. but reviews deal with the first 2 or 3 years of use usually. I'm having trouble getting info on how often they need repairs etc. after 4 years/85k km.. I would assume that it wouldn't need them very often but then I really don't know too much about cars and I've never owned one.

I was originally looking at BMW 3 series, but the audi has a nicer interior than the BMW and I'd be getting a good price on this one.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NM, no way I'm buying a used audi after looking at edmunds. Some people had no problems, others had tons of major problems.

Heckle

Reaction score
I have a mate that owns an Audi A4 and he has bought a Lemon... Now with the BMW I think you will be better of as they are not Turbo and they will last you longer than what an Audi A4 will these days.

Heckle

Joe G

Reaction score
I have a mate that owns an Audi A4 and he has bought a Lemon... Now with the BMW I think you will be better of as they are not Turbo and they will last you longer than what an Audi A4 will these days.

Heckle
Then again, in college a lot (if not most) of my friends had 3-series that they bought new in 1997 or 1998, either 323's or 328's I think. One had a 5-series, 540 I think. All of them started looking ratty real fast. The two 3-series cabrio's were the worst, with parts falling off and the like.

The 3-series may be the second best-selling car in the entire world now (behind either the VW Golf/Jetta/Bora or the Toyota Corolla, don't remember which), but I've been universally unimpressed with their build or materials quality.

Peace,

JG

PS: When I move back to the US, which I will do shortly, the short-list of cars I will most likely choose between are the Audi A6, Infiniti G35, Infiniti M45, Saab 9-3, and Volvo S60.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
heh, that they or their parents bought new?

I'm surprised to hear that your friends had a lot of trouble with BMWs. Every review I've read has been a glowing one, even the long term (40k miles) tests.

Anyway, ya the audi interior is definitely nicer than the bmw 3 series, but there's too many potential problems with audis. The timing belt (no clue what this is but it's apparently important heh) goes a lot of the time at 80-90k miles and it can apparently cause the car major damage. Then there's the problems with the transmissions and water pump that seem to be a common thing. I read 4 or 5 reviews where the transmission needed replacing prematurel. Inside the car the climate control is apparently a pain ********** also.

You should add an m3 to that list ;p Or maybe a 5 series. A guy I know has 70k miles on his 540 and he hasn't had a single problem since he bought the car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads