• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here own a Volvo S40? Mini Cooper?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Charles
I'm looking to buy a new car within a year or so. Does anyone here own a Volvo S40? How is the reliability? I'm strongly considering this , along with a Mini cooper, which of course is a very different car. I really have no interest in BMWs, M-B, or Audi, but am looking for a compact sporty car, European.
I'm English so here's my take. I had a S40 T5 a few years ago. They're a great car, they do share their underpinnings with the Euro Focus as does the Mazda 3, The Euro Focus has class leading handling and a great chassis so don't let that put you off. The interior is one of the nicest I've seen in several years, better than anything the Japanese produce in it's class. The car is assembled in Belgium, Ghent IIRC Engines are a combination of Volvo's own (T5 & D5 developed with Porsche IIRC) Ford petrols and Peugeot/Citreon derived diesels. Transmissions are Getrag and are 6 speed on the T5 and D5 and 2 litre diesels. There is an automatic and a dual clutch shift similar to VW's as well. Comfort is class leading and the seats are amazing and wipe the floor with any other Euro manufacturer but this has always been a strong point with Volvo. If you get the top rated in-car stereo you'll be rewarded with excellent sound. 130W, Dolby Pro Logic direct USB and iPod connection. The car is very well specced. All in all I recommend them highly and I've run the gauntlet of European 'prestege' brands. The current S40 will not be directly replaced as the C30 will have a 5 door option and the V50 will be replaced by an estate based on the new S60. P.s I'm talking about UK specced models here, but I should imagine that US specced models have even more toys.

M. Charles

Reaction score
^Thanks for all of the very helpful comments.

While I have all of you knowledgeable car buffs around, and a few of you are English, can I ask what you think of the Mini cooper in terms of performance and reliability? I'm not crazy about the interior but I suppose that is not altogether a deal breaking isssue.

All in all, I'm leaning towards the S40 now, but I'm curious about how you think the Mini fares as well.

M. Charles

Reaction score
There is one more question I'd like to ask.

I know that turbocharged engines in general are more difficult to maintain, but should this necessarily be a deal breaker? How much less reliable are they? There is relatively little difference in price to get the turbocharged engine from Volvo, or even Mini for that matter.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Thanks for all of the very helpful comments.

While I have all of you knowledgeable car buffs around, and a few of you are English, can I ask what you think of the Mini cooper in terms of performance and reliability? I'm not crazy about the interior but I suppose that is not altogether a deal breaking isssue.

All in all, I'm leaning towards the S40 now, but I'm curious about how you think the Mini fares as well.

My friends wife had a Cooper S convertible, great car, Go-Kart like handling.

They're different cars really. The T5 has a huge amount of low down torque, 320Nm from about 1800 rpm. The Cooper S doesn't have that type of grunt but with it's taught handling and small size it really engages. Very enjoyable!

You have to take them out for a test drive and see which moves you.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is one more question I'd like to ask. I know that turbocharged engines in general are more difficult to maintain, but should this necessarily be a deal breaker? There is relatively little difference in price to get the turbocharged engine from Volvo, or even Mini for that matter.
No, Turbocharged petrol engines are now common place in Europe. The technology is mature, I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker, just stick to dealer servicing and stay within the service schedule you shouldn't have a problem. P.s. I did 60,000 miles in two years in my S40 T5. The engine never missed a heart beat and I'm not light on the loud pedal.

mikeman

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 S40 t5 in may, and I love it. I would urge you to get the t5 model over the 2.4i, though the car is no super car , it is still fun to drive. I have not had any problems with it yet.

Glados1984

Reaction score
There is one more question I'd like to ask.

I know that turbocharged engines in general are more difficult to maintain, but should this necessarily be a deal breaker? How much less reliable are they? There is relatively little difference in price to get the turbocharged engine from Volvo, or even Mini for that matter.

more can go wrong with a turbo, and generally the candle that burns brighter does not burn for as long. dont let that put you off though. i'd get a turbo over naturally asperated any day of the week!!

Yo-han

Reaction score
having owned a '66 cooper S and a 97 (bmw) cooper, both were extremely fun and cheap cars to drive and own. Neighter was able to start properly in the winter but i loved them regardless. Haveing test driven the new cooper it leaves me completely cold, like driveing a golf. The station wagon has some looks to it but the rest of the lot looks like ****. If you havent got any kids/own a second sensible car i would encourage getting an old cooper.

BankerBoi

Reaction score
Volvo C30 is a closer match to the MINI.
MINI has steady year-over-year improvement in durability.
Of the 2002 to 2006 body style, avoid 2002, but 2005-2006 are great.

The 2007-2010 MINI are a little bigger and softer, but still good.
The MINI drives like no other car on the US market. Agile.
The Volvo suites more mainstream tastes.

Me, I love the MINI and it's just great in winter.

jdcpa

Reaction score
Re: the turbo question.

I have a turbo VW. What everyone said so far with reliability is generally correct. The technology is mature and the engines are relatively well designed. Its not a deal breaker at all. They are great cars. However, in my experience the car has to be well maintained for it to be problem free. If not, the problems can be catastrophic. When I bough the car used (extremely cheap) the prior owner did not maintain it well and after about a year there was a major problem with the engine. The car was so cheap I sprung for the repair. After I took good care of it, ran only synthetic oil, changed it frequently with high quality filters. So far I've put 120,000 miles on it.

Thus, not a deal breaker but you'll have to take care of it for it to take care of you.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guy at my club has a Mini with a Cooper upgrade. He bought it used with very low miles for something like $22K. It looks brand new. I was blown away by the amount of low cost accessories you can buy, like tires and wheels, from LA on-line companies for $850 that really look fun and sporty. His is bright silver with black interior and it stands out among all the Porches, MB's, BMW's in the parking lot. I'm tempted to do the same thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads