• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here had surgery to repair a torn pec?

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious.

I 'tweaked' my pec over a month ago.
Its still sore though I haven't done a pec workout since.
I'll likely have my doc check me out later this week.
I suspect its a very mild sprain/tear but would like to hear from people who've been cut open.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think surgery/rehab should be too bad.

It's an absolute ***** when you tear it completely from the bone, though. Not me, just some lifters I've known.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
had a minoir bicep tear that was painful but did not require surgery. see an osteopath IMO.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Just curious.

I 'tweaked' my pec over a month ago.
Its still sore though I haven't done a pec workout since.
I'll likely have my doc check me out later this week.
I suspect its a very mild sprain/tear but would like to hear from people who've been cut open.

Unless it's a full tear let it heal. There isn't an issue with scar tissue and inflammation like with other sprains and strains in the shoulder, knee, and hip and it shouldn't require surgery.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured I'd have felt a lot more pain at some point if it was serious.
I just wake up everyday and it feels sore (though its better now than it was 4 weeks ago).

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My area of 'discomfort' seems to be at the top of the pectoralis minor. Close to the shoulder but deep inside rather than close to the surface. (no doctor)

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would suck.
Could I have done that while doing DB Incline Bench/Dips/Pec Dec?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the most likely cause. I don't like dips because they **** my shoulders up so bad (I have constant rotator cuff issues).

Rotator cuff tears are common and if you're smart they'll heal fine. It takes a long time to heal because of restricted blood flow and inflammation causing problems healing. Imagine having a scab on your heel and having to put shoes on and take them off all day.

Just do light exercise with it in the ranges of motion where it's injured. If it hurts a lot, lower the weight. Make sure you move your arm around enough to avoid stiffness and possible frozen shoulder.

It's a complex injury and if you don't know what you're doing you might have to see an orthopaedist (if it is a rotator cuff injury which is just my guess via the Internet). Then again, a lot of times orthopaedists don't know what they're doing.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
You would most likely know within a couple of hours after a torn pec that you needed surgery. If it's torn badly enough, the muscle will turn black and blue and just look all kinds of terrible.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I messed up my rotator cuff a while ago benching. It took me 3-4 months to get my pain-free ROM back. Google for rotator cuff exercises. They helped a lot during the healing phase.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
had a minoir bicep tear that was painful but did not require surgery. see an osteopath IMO.

A chiropractor? Don't they primarily deal with randomly tweaking your spine hoping for some sort of placebo effect? How will this repair pectorals?
rimshot.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no, a physiatrist. it's often who an orthopedist sends you to if surgery isn;t required. often referred to as sports doctors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads