• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone have recommendations for rain gear for the rainforest?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It's funny that you should say that...

I'm...on top of... huge private...s... rare spectacled bear...

You like 'em bookish and brawny? Man, it's like shooting bears in a bearrel...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
My jacket is this but minus the fleece. They don't appear to sell the non-fleece version online:
http://www.timberland.com/product/in...amily&colorId=

Thanks. I am going to see if i can find an unlined one. Funnily enough, I didn't know Timberland made outdoors products. I honestly thought that their main source of revenue was those boots that wannabe gangstas wear.
laugh.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to see if i can find an unlined one. Funnily enough, I didn't know Timberland made outdoors products. I honestly thought that their main source of revenue was those boots that wannabe gangstas wear.
laugh.gif

Timberland has some good **** over in Europe that we don't get, just like Red Wing. Also, the boots in their new earth friendly eco-bullshit line look decent enough. I might get a pair because of the discount.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
You like 'em bookish and brawny? Man, it's like shooting bears in a bearrel...

I just caught the spelling. You're so ****, RJ.
lol8[1].gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Timberland has some good **** over in Europe that we don't get, just like Red Wing. Also, the boots in their new earth friendly eco-bullshit line look decent enough. I might get a pair because of the discount.
That Timb jacket of mine is REALLY well-made with some great details. Zippers that are meant to keep out water/allow for better ventilation, a clear spot on the left arm so you can see the face of your watch without having to move your sleeve, assymetrical front zip so when the jacket's closed up you won't have a zipper in your mouth, fitted hood, etc. I grew up a outdoors-nut/Boy Scout so dealt with Kelty/North Face/Columbia/etc. all the time. North Face tends to be the overpriced gold standard for equipment but it does last over the years. The Timb jacket really impressed me.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's going to be the rainy season, be very hot (high 20s to mid 30s), and i will be in there for 4 days. thanks!

I worked in the bolivian amazon during the rainy season and used gaiters which were fine. However, I had both shoes (hiking sneakers) and flip flops (which is what all the locals wear) to change into during most of my hikes. If you wear gaiters keep in mind that the water may at times be too high, so it's good to have flip flops or something to change into. You can buy cheap stuff there that will fill some of your needs, although I liked my chaco sandals. However if you have weak ankles I wouldn't necessarily go the sandal route.

If your going to do any camping buy mosquito nets there, much better then what you'll find in the US and cheaper. Also you might want to buy some of your meds there as well, you can get something like cipro dirt cheap compared to what you'll pay for it in the US. Have a couple of those disposable ponchos with you just in case, never know when you might need it. Lonely Planets are good guidebooks to have, I used mine regularly. Make sure your guides are very good, alot of locals become "guides" but I know of at least one instances where a group got lost because they didn't know anything. I hope your gf has been camping/hiking before, nothing sours a trip more then having someone who's completely miserable with you. For clothing I'd suggest nylon pants and lightweight shirt material, you really just want stuff that will dry very quickly and use a poncho or rain jacket to keep you dry when it's actually raining. A small collapsable umbrella is sometimes nice too.

brimley

Reaction score
Lightweight merino wool, like a Smartwool longsleeve T. Best thing around for managing moisture and temperature at the same time. Lightweight poncho or rainjacket with pit zips. Cargo pants. Waterproof boots. Lightweight wool socks.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having spent part of a summer at a dig in Belize, I would say the number one thing to think about is quick-dryability (is that a word?) Obviously, you'll want a good jacket for when it's really pouring but basically in lighter rain and just walking around the jungle generally your ****'s gonna get wet. To me it makes more sense to just accept this and buy stuff that will dry rapidly rather than trying to keep completely protected from the wet all the time. As far as boots go, again, I would take my cue from the U.S. military jungle boots and go for ventilation rather than impossible-to-attain waterproofness.

I'd probably pick up a few pair of quick-dry convertible hiking pants. You'll probably want pants in the brush (at least I do; I've seen some people who do know what they're doing wear shorts but my hairy ass legs attract too much jungle ****) but at the same time it's nice to be able to zip them into shorts when you're taking a break or in a cleared area.

Capilene underwear and shirts are amazing, but expensive (like, almost Zimmerli-marsupialed expensive, but at least you get demonstrable functional superiority for your money with the Capilene.)

If you don't see yourself using much of this again, various simulacra of Patagonia/ArcTeryx/Mountain Hardware et al can be had from places like STP and REI that should work well enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads