• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else get screwed by Brooks Brothers?

Elgin

Reaction score
Anyone else experience anything similar?

Just before Christmas, Brooks Brothers was offering an extra discount off of anything on the website. They had longwing shell cordovans, which they were featuring as part of their Black Fleece line, already at half off. I called a few days later and got the manager to honor the extra discount; they told me the shoes were backordered, but I said, no problem, I can wait.

After they moved the backorder date a couple of times - still no problem, as far as I was concerned - I checked in a couple of days ago to find that Brooks Brothers had simply canceled my order! They hadn't made any attempt to let me know the shoes weren't available any longer. My gut tells me they just didn't want to honor the price that I'd placed the order at ($300.00, from an original $800.00). When I asked if they'd honor that price when the shoes come back in, the answer was 'nope'.

Since no one at Brooks seemed inclined to help, I thought I'd at least gripe here and hope someone notices. I really can't believe this sort of shoddy treatment from what's supposed to be a reputable store!

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe in a different way. I sent some stuff back with one of their labels three weeks ago and haven't gotten my refund yet (or any notification for that matter). I'm sure it's just a post-Christmas backlog, but I'm fixin' to have to drop $1000 into my credit card to avoid the finance charges, and I can only imagine how long the credit card company will tie my money up when BB'ers finally refunds it.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Maybe in a different way. I sent some stuff back with one of their labels three weeks ago and haven't gotten my refund yet (or any notification for that matter). I'm sure it's just a post-Christmas backlog, but I'm fixin' to have to drop $1000 into my credit card to avoid the finance charges, and I can only imagine how long the credit card company will tie my money up when BB'ers finally refunds it.

call your credit card company directly, normally they go to great lengths to make sure vendors do things properly, they may even lean on brooks brothers for you.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk

don't leave home without your AMEX Platinum card. Problem solved.

hipcathobbes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Elgin
Anyone else experience anything similar? Just before Christmas, Brooks Brothers was offering an extra discount off of anything on the website. They had longwing shell cordovans, which they were featuring as part of their Black Fleece line, already at half off. I called a few days later and got the manager to honor the extra discount; they told me the shoes were backordered, but I said, no problem, I can wait. After they moved the backorder date a couple of times - still no problem, as far as I was concerned - I checked in a couple of days ago to find that Brooks Brothers had simply canceled my order! They hadn't made any attempt to let me know the shoes weren't available any longer. My gut tells me they just didn't want to honor the price that I'd placed the order at ($300.00, from an original $800.00). When I asked if they'd honor that price when the shoes come back in, the answer was 'nope'. Since no one at Brooks seemed inclined to help, I thought I'd at least gripe here and hope someone notices. I really can't believe this sort of shoddy treatment from what's supposed to be a reputable store!
Something similar happened to me this summer. Sometimes their online sales dep't is shady. Email customer service and tell them that if they don't honor your order you will never order from them again, and will tell all your friends to never order from their online store either. That should get someone's attention.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine says backordered to 2/21. I was expecting them at 1/15
frown.gif
. I hope they show up eventually!

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I bought a BB corodovan wingtip shoe during the online Christmas sale in 2007. A couple of weeks later I received an email that they were out of stock in my size. I followed up with customer service and they told me that they will honor the sale price and will ship the shoe to me as soon as they can get it. And they did come through a few weeks later. So my experience with Brooks Brothers has been pretty good.

Elgin

Reaction score
Do me a favorite, would you, sir? Can you log in and see if they are still backordered, or has your shoe order been cancelled, too?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Strange. Brooks Brothers, both bricks and mortar and online, have always gone out of their way to please me. How did you find shell longwings at $300? I know they were on sale around Christmas time, but that must have been some serious discount stacking!!

Elgin

Reaction score
yeah - it was an *awesome* deal. They had shell longwings reduced from $800 to $400; then they had a discount of an extra 15%; when I called to ask for that discount, they ended up giving me a 25% discount. I couldn't believe it; with tax and shipping, the shoes came in, well should have come in that is, at just under $350.00.

It's disappointing that they aren't trying to do anything for me - and even stranger that they simply cancelled the order. When I asked the rep, he said he had no good explanation for what happened, but he would simply apologize. So much for service.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had online orders cancelled twice by Brooks when the backorder dates kept getting pushed back.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just checked my order (which I placed last december) and it was pushed to 2/21/09. This is the third or fourth time they are pushing it back,let's see what happens.I won't be surprised if they cancel it.

Elgin

Reaction score
Did they do anything to make it up to you? Or ever honor the price later on?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads