1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

anybody ever heard of "Scott & Company LIMITED" (Boston)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by makewayhomer, Sep 11, 2010.

1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

came upon this vintage overcoat. reads "Scott & Company LIMITED Boston". anyone know anything about this? who this company is, who made?

[​IMG]

must be old [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I posted this in the "Labels, heels and nail patterns" but nobody knew...

2. Artking3

Artking3 Senior member

There is a Scott & Co in Los Angeles which sells high end clothing. I think they are related branch. Sounds like a Wilkes Bashford or similar high-end retailers.

3. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Scott Hill owned the operations in Los Angeles and that store has been closed for some time if i'm not mistaken. He nows runs a MTM/bespoke atelier. Very smart and knowledgable person.

4. makewayhomer

5. horseman40

horseman40 Member

I know well Scott & Co. My family and I were clients for decades. They have nothing to do with any other company. As with everything of quality and dignity in the USA ..sadly ..they are gone.
    Would you be willing to sell that coat to me ..and anything else which you have from that store?
    Feel free to email me at kalild@msn.com
    Thanks

1 person likes this.
  6. horseman40

horseman40 Member

There is a Scott & Co in Los Angeles which sells high end clothing. I think they are related branch. Sounds like a Wilkes Bashford or similar high-end retailers.

Scott & Co. in Boston had nothing to do with any other store or company. I was their client for years.

7. caravan70

caravan70 New Member

came upon this vintage overcoat. reads "Scott & Company LIMITED Boston". anyone know anything about this? who this company is, who made?...

Your label is identical to the one on a blazer I have which is dated February 6, 1963 on a tag within an inside pocket - your overcoat may well fall within that general time period. But Scott & Company was at the 340 Washington address at least as early as 1918, according to a Boston city directory of that year, so it has the potential to be quite a bit older. Congratulations on a great find - I'm sure you'll enjoy that overcoat for many years! [​IMG]

8. David G Newton

David G Newton New Member

Just came across this thread on the internet. I worked part time and summers for Scott and Co from the end of my junior year in high school in 1952 until I graduated from college in 1957. The store was owned by a Swedish immigrant tailor Eric Danielson and run by his son Eric Dalielson Jr (Harvard MBA). It manufactured most of its own suits and had semi-custom and full custom departments with various accessory and a young men's department. It was patronized by executives of banks, woolen companies, and other high end enterprises in downtown Boston and was the leading men's store of the time. However, it had a high overhead with about ten full time suit salesmen and salaried sales personnel in other departments. It was struggling financially and the strong trend away from more formal clothing helped do it in. I believe it went bankrupt in the 1960's and ED Jr. took over a department store in Springfield MA. The building was five stories high with a basement sales floor, but now only the first floor remains as a drug store.

2 people like this.
  9. horseman40

horseman40 Member

Hi Mr. Newton:

I just saw your post and am interested that you worked at Scott's. Most od the men in my family were clients. I used to know a salesman there whose name was Farren..John I think. Did you know him? Is he still alive? Do you know how I could find him? I'd like to chat with you if you would give me your email so we could talk privately.

Thank you

David

10. horseman40

horseman40 Member

. Scott's opened in 1905. They were the finest, most prestigious men's store in Boston and on a higher level than any other men's store on the East Coast.

11. lewisba

lewisba New Member

I came upon this post doing a Google search on Scott & Company. I'm doing genealogy research and believe my grandfather worked or at least had partial ownership in Scott & Company during the 1930s. Their address was:

Scott & Company Limited
    Clothes Shop for Men
    340 Washington Street
    Boston Mass

If anyone else has info related to this company I would appreciate it.

12. horseman40

horseman40 Member

Yes, tha's the store. My family and I were clients there. It was the best in Boston then ..and better than any store that exists now.

13. horseman40

horseman40 Member

[ATTACHMENT=10514]IMG_0661.jpg (2,699k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][​IMG]

14. horseman40

horseman40 Member

15. rpmcestmoi

rpmcestmoi New Member

I salivated in front if Scott&co window after shopping at the home of Uncle Eph. This wannabe from the projects wanted to be a Yankee, I fear, but instead grew a strong disdain for the Prides Crossing folks over time. but the terrific English wool jacket pinned to the wall in that rounded display window is still in my head! H. Square had two similar now gone mens shops with only Press carrying the flag. i remember the young Timothy Leary in the bookshop looking more Harvard than Pusey and thinking I Would like that wardrobe but I settled for Khakis, a button down from The Basement and a maroon knit tie.
    leveling took place subsequently as cheaper goods became available and without a trained eye it became harder to detect the real from the faux in a crowd. A good thing, that,
    You now can count the H. traditional uniform on one hand in the yard.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  16. EricDanielson

EricDanielson New Member

Well, well! I'm Eric W (Bill) Danielson, grandson of Emil OJ Danielson who co-founded Scott's, and the son of Eric (obviously). At age 75, I'm getting around to doing genealogy research on my family, and googled Scott & Company Ltd, Boston for fun -- and was delighted to find this site!

I remember you, David Newton; Dad spoke of what a fine young guy you were, and was proud that you went on to Harvard. In fact you showed me and some buddies around Harvard, in the fall of 1957, I imagine it was. and I recall seeing you at Scott's. (I worked there in the summer of 1956, along with a friend of mine named Philip Bertocci.) I have so many memories from that summer, and from years before and (briefly) afterwards.

The clothes were beautiful, and distinctive. Dad claimed that my grandfather "invented" the two-button suit coat. I remember dad watching the TV news one night and noticing that Speaker of the House Joseph Martin was wearing a Scott's suit. Two of the Brinks robbers were regular customers (shoes, mostly). They knew quality!

You're right about the late history, David. Dad and gramps saw the handwriting on the wall and sold the store to the Berman family in 1959 or so. The store folded couple of years later. My grandfather died in 1960, and Dad went to Springfield where he worked at Haynes and Co, a Hart Schaffner and Marx store, until 1967 when he retired. Dad died in 1973.

i can remember many of the people who worked at Scott's, from Lloyd who managed the archaic elevator and Miss Cannon who sold neckties, to the flock of salesmen,( Misters O'Neill, Sullivan, .the fellow who was a professional baseball catcher . .) fitters (Mr. Carlson . . .) , and so on. They were always very kind to me, -- naturally ! -- being the boss's son and grandson!

I have a roll of Scott & Company labels, kept for old times' sake. Nice the the one posted in this forum! But mostly it’s been so heartwarming to read the kind recollections you all have about Scott’s. Thank you all so very much!

1 person likes this.
  17. horseman40

horseman40 Member

Mr. Danielson: I for one am thrilled to read your post. My family, Dad, cousins etc. were regular clients at Scott's for years and I still have some practically new items from there, hats and a beautiful Morning suit, hand-made, I think. The date inside the pocket on the tag is 1943. I search constantly on google for vintage items from the store, but they are scarce. My Dad's salesman, who had been also a buddy in the war, was a Mr. Farren..from Arlington, maybe? Would you happen to know him? I have searched for his name on google but no luck. I'd love to chat with him if he's still with us. Please do write again and give us more anecdotes, if possible. I was just a kid at the time, but vaguely remember going in the store with my Dad. My email is kalild@msn.com. I'd love to hear from you!

David

18. makewayhomer

well now I sure am glad I started this thread! crazy!

I do still have the cashmere overcoat that prompted me to start this thread. it has a rip that needs tending to but short of that it's still beautiful. I'll post some pics soon

19. horseman40

horseman40 Member

I hope to hear back from you Mr. Danielson!

20. horseman40

horseman40 Member

Hello again , Mr. Danielson. I'm hoping to hear fro
    m you.

Thank you,

David