• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

alexg

Reaction score
Is Lonach bottled stuff any good? A store near me has a Bunnahabhain 40 year for like $150, and a Glendronach 42 for 99. Worth buying?

joelscott7

Reaction score
They are bottled by Duncan Taylor (who is a very reputable bottler). I would personally buy at least one at those prices, and I have liked Bunnahabhain when I have tried it.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is Lonach bottled stuff any good? A store near me has a Bunnahabhain 40 year for like $150, and a Glendronach 42 for 99. Worth buying?

Those are almost unbelievably low prices. Those bottles usually go for 1k+ according to wine-searcher. The Bunna 18 runs ~$150.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anybody got a thought about Oban DE vs Oban 18? They're right about the same price. I was a little underwhelmed by Oban 14, nothing wrong with it but it didn't pop for me. Everyone seems to love the older expressions though.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody got a thought about Oban DE vs Oban 18? They're right about the same price. I was a little underwhelmed by Oban 14, nothing wrong with it but it didn't pop for me. Everyone seems to love the older expressions though.

I like Oban 14, but much prefer Oban 18. I would definitely pick up a bottle, especially if the price differential is pretty minor for you. I haven't tried the DE so can only give a positive opinion on the 18 year.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was an usher on Saturday when some friends got married and they gifted me a bottle of Lagavulin 16. Haven't tried it yet -- been on Sudafed for the last few days -- but I'm looking forward to it; the only Scotch I've had with any noticeable smoke was Oban 14 (which I enjoyed) and some campfire-tasting shitkicker whose name I don't recall back in 2011 (which I didn't). I'm used to Cardhu/Macallan/Glenmorangie/Highland Park.

Here's hoping I kick this sinus thing soon so I can have a proper drink when I get home from the office.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Just bought my first bottle of Talisker 10. I'm a noob, started with Glenlivet, then to Highland Park, (which I really liked) and now the Talisker.

Loving the taste of the Talisker - tastes like leather and smoke, with a long finish.

Suggestions for my next bottle?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Oban. If you can get the 18, skip right to that and ignore the 14. I like the 14 too but the 18 blows it out of the water for not too much more.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score

^ Oban. If you can get the 18, skip right to that and ignore the 14. I like the 14 too but the 18 blows it out of the water for not too much more.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can probably find the 18 somewhere here in the Seattle area.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like Oban 14, but much prefer Oban 18. I would definitely pick up a bottle, especially if the price differential is pretty minor for you. I haven't tried the DE so can only give a positive opinion on the 18 year.

The whole county sold out of 18 in the three days I delayed going out for it :censored:

DE it is! I don't know how it stacks up to the 18, but it blows the 14 out of the water.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just bought my first bottle of Talisker 10. I'm a noob, started with Glenlivet, then to Highland Park, (which I really liked) and now the Talisker.

Loving the taste of the Talisker - tastes like leather and smoke, with a long finish.

Suggestions for my next bottle?

If you like the Talisker then you will love the Lagavulin 16 Year Old which is my favourite, but not to everyones taste.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a lot of overlapping in people who enjoy both, even though Lagavulin is a sherried Islay and Talisker is an Island whisky. Talisker DE is probably a better comparison, as it is also finished in sherry casks.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I want to work in to the Islay brands next, Lagavulin is on the list for sure.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads