1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

*tugs collar*

Yeah, sorry. I meant "Dark Cove" (although the Talisker Dark Storm also sounds pretty interesting).

2. CaesarSTL

CaesarSTL Senior member

No worries, I haven't had the cask strength committee release (heard good things though); as for the normal bottling... I remember that it was pretty good (can't remember whether it was the nose or taste that was great while the other was a slight let down), but the quality to price ratio is just so much better on the Oogie so I haven't bought a bottle yet. You def pay for the "annual release, limited edition, bla bla bla..."

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Yeah- Oogy isn't cheap either, but it's cask strenght.... but they put in those stupid smaller bottles...

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

BBC just did a great 3 part series on scotch...

2 people like this.
  5. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

This looks awesome, thanks!

6. cchen

cchen Senior member

Thanks, watching this now while sipping a 1990/2015 glen garioch single cask!

1 person likes this.
  7. troika

troika Senior member

Hey gang, I figured this might be a good place to ask - I'll be in Edinburgh in December, where are some good places to go? I'm a fan or the whiskey and scotch but don't know too much about it, would love to try some and hear about the history

8. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I started in with this, and only got a few minutes and fell asleep (long day). Lots of fruit in it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I was there a few years ago, though before I was even interested much in Scotch. I went up to the castle and did a little exit through the giftshop tour with one of those seated rides and walk through talks about the history of Scotch and prohibition etc ("The Scotch Whisky Experience" here's some info - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attracti...tch_Whisky_Experience-Edinburgh_Scotland.html). Then on a daytrip around the area I did a tour of Famous Grouse's distillery, which was ok I guess. Fairly generic.

I googled around for ya and here's what I found:
    http://www.goscotlandtours.com/tour-list/whisky-tours-scotland.html - small list of some other tours
    http://www.urbantravelblog.com/experience/whisky-tasting-edinburgh/ - description of the aforementioned tour at the castle but also includes a list of local whisky bars. Maybe try some flights at one?

1 person likes this.
  10. troika

troika Senior member

This is great thank you!

1 person likes this.
  11. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Found two bottles of the Laphroaig Carideas 2016. It's my first Laphroaig experience and I'm pretty impressed. I love Islays, though. Next time I'm out somewhere that has the 10 yr or the Quarter Cask, I'll give them a shot. Can anyone tell me which one would be better?

12. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Hotel I'm staying at has an amazing whisky selection and will do half pours at half price. Had Ardbeg's Airigh Nam Beist, Glenfarclas 25, and a Springbank 17 CS (sherry cask, I think). All were great, but the Springbank was overpowering.

1 person likes this.
  13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I know this is all probably 'duh' territory but i remember someone saying you should let the scotch breath for as many minutes as the age on the bottle. Which is a long long time... I know I always jump right on my dram and it's gone before I know it but I find if I leave it sitting for 10-15 minutes, it really opens up and tastes better. A splash of water goes a long way too. When you hit those 18+ year old ones I think they're a bit dense and need time to open.

14. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Agreed on the waiting and water, if necessary. Took my time with the first two, probably should've added some water to the Springbank, but wasn't thinking all that clearly by that point. May go back tonight.

15. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Yeah, I usually add H20 to anything over 50%

16. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I might be a philistine but I add water to almost every bourbon over 90 proof to "proof it down" to 90 proof. Makes it easier to drink/less burn for me and makes it easier to taste without the alcohol note overpowering everything else.

The few exceptions to this are really high end stuff that I'm going to be drinking slowly anyways. Probably with a water to drink between sips.

17. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

One of the big upsides to higher proof whisk(e)y is being able to add water to get to your preferred taste. I don't think that's being a philistine.

1 person likes this.
  18. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I taste a dram neat, but usually move to add even a couple of drops of water to open things up. Cask strength versions are my favorites, cause it takes time to get the perfect balance of water dilution and height of flavors.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  19. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Yeah, I don't think adding water makes you a Philistine. Not drinking makes you a philistine.

3 people like this.
  20. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

The popularity of Japanese whiskey has weakened its cost vs. benefit.

This japanese bar was pouting Yamasaki 12 for $25. New whiskey drinkers were ordering it left and right for the name.

I just smirked kept drinking my Nikka Coffee Grain for $12. <