• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I must be ruined by Ardbeg and Laphroig because I do not recognize Lagavulin as being very smokey.

Had yamazaki 12 with a monte #2 the other day, was very pleasant. I actually tend to like highlands, Japanese and other sweeter whiskies with cigars.

Been into balvenie recently, loving the spicey notes.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Agree with the above re: Lagavulin. I love the stuff but the smokiness is not nearly as in your face as a Laphroaig or Ardbeg. It's a different scotch with a different flavor profile. Good level of smokiness for people who are just getting into the smokier scotches, though.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well I bought the Laga 16 because people whose taste are similar to mine recommended it over things like Ardberg and Laphroiag but keep in mind that I am more into sweet than smoky and they knew this. I may try a Laphroiag but not really sure yet that I like this heavily peated scotches, I find myself pulled towards scotches finished in bourbon/port/sherry woods.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might like Ardbeg Uigedail. It's sherried, but still has a pretty heavy peat profile.

The other big variable with peated scotches is the iodine/medicinal element. It can be pretty offputting for some people. Ardbeg Corryvrecken is really heavy on that. Talisker is a good example that's less severe.

Laphraoig doesn't have the medicinal element, more straight peat.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laphroaig Cairdeas is also an interesting choice. Very sherried flavor and completely different profile from Laphroaig 10 year.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ed, They are right on the money to suggest that, I would add Talisker 10 to that as well as a good stepping stone whisky before Islays. I'll even put Highland Park 12 in that camp as well, being even milder than Talisker.

Laphroaig and Ardbeg are for the bravest of souls and those that truly love smoke/peat.

I'd recommend something a bit more in your taste range;

Longmorn 16, Aberloud A'bunadh, Yamazaki 12 and Glenmorangie 18.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You might like Ardbeg Uigedail. It's sherried, but still has a pretty heavy peat profile.

The other big variable with peated scotches is the iodine/medicinal element. It can be pretty offputting for some people. Ardbeg Corryvrecken is really heavy on that. Talisker is a good example that's less severe.

Laphraoig doesn't have the medicinal element, more straight peat.

Really? Quarter cask tastes a lot like iodine to me. I thought laphroaig was known for iodine medicine peatiness.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also not a peat fiend, and my sweat spot is Lag 16 as well. I have tried Laphroaig, and while an interesting experience that all malt fans should experience at least once, it is not for me...

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really? Quarter cask tastes a lot like iodine to me. I thought laphroaig was known for iodine medicine peatiness.

I get mostly smoke from Laphroiag, at least the cask strength with the amount of water I usually add. Corryvrecken and Talisker have that salty, iodine, seaweed thing going for them. Maybe it's the salt that's missing in the Laphraoig.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you look at the reviews on Laphroaig 10 on MOM, they're split between 4/5 stars and 0/1 stars for that reason that it really is a taste specific to those that enjoy smoke/peat. This is the right whisky for me on occasion, but it's definitely not a regular go-to.

I tend to go-to the sherried Islays prior to the plain casks, Bunnahabhain being one of my favorites of that group.

joelscott7

Reaction score
Have you tried the Bunnahabhain 12? I have tried the 18 and thought it was fantastic and have heard the 12 is also good but very different.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got the 12, 18, 25 and the toiteach. The last one is meh, but the 12, 18 and 25 are all really good.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried the Lap 18 tonight. I know many here denigrate it, but I found it pretty interesting, with lots of everything.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up a bottle on Glendronach 15 revival, it was definitely good, a very well done sherried scotch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads