• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8628A7A8-7542-4EEC-A7E3-0D1EF32E4A5B.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice! I recently purchase this one again as its a decent dram and readily available. I like how even though they are NAS, Glenrothes still puts the flavor profile on the bottle.
View attachment 1788877

Think I need to search this out at Spec's or Total Wine here in Houston, this looks like a good one, and I've enjoyed their releases whenever I've had them in the past.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is like a 1mm gradient on the top of the scotch in the glass. Don’t know how you could enjoy that.

@Watchman1 -- I've heard they really watered the stuff down w/ the rebrand. IYHO, how does it compare to the original formula? I've heard not so good things, and I can't imagine they could have improved upon it, especially if the bottling is any indication.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Watchman1 -- I've heard they really watered the stuff down w/ the rebrand. IYHO, how does it compare to the original formula? I've heard not so good things, and I can't imagine they could have improved upon it, especially if the bottling is any indication.

It is a fantastic spirit filled with wonder. Gentle smoke and sherry mingled with a subtle saline nose. Taste is mellow yet complex and does not let you down. It tastes like it noses. Wafts of faint smoke on the front side with stewed red fruits. A real stunner.

It is worth noting I procured this bottle for $69 USD. Which, I find to be a worthwhile investment. However, any more quid and you find yourself into the realm of other whiskies which prove to be slightly better quality. I have seen this bottle going for $100 USD which I find to be slightly overpriced.

My biggest complaint is not the cost, but rather the lower abv. I would like to sample this dram at 46% abv or above. I really think the higher abv would put this spirit into a whole different stratosphere. Methinks a higher abv would yield a whiskey of the year in this Benromach 15 year.

Cheers!

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the Benromach 10 yr. old. Best smoker for the $. While I'm normally a fan of smoothness and subtlety, this bottle has won me over. The perfect whisky after a steak dinner.

@Watchman1 — As evidenced above, longtime Benromachmo here, as well as a fan of your posting. I was asking if you had occasion to try the OLD Benromach 15 yr old (pictured below) and how it compares to the NEW Benromach, pictured above.
1653439098921.jpeg

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Watchman1 — As evidenced above, longtime Benromachmo here, as well as a fan of your posting. I was asking if you had occasion to try the OLD Benromach 15 yr old (pictured below) and how it compares to the NEW Benromach, pictured above. View attachment 1795686

Ah yes, my apologies Sir. I do believe I sampled the previous edition as well.

IIRC, the previous release had less sherry influence and more smoky brine.

My advice is for you to wait for the newer release to be sold at discount, then procure a bottle to try.

And yes, I do believe the older rendition was slightly better overall. But YMMV

Cheers!

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys do with bottles that you're not huge fans of, but you don't want to throw away?

Never really got into this one - sometimes I get some beautiful flower and vanilla notes, but the alcohol tends to overwhelm. Maybe just an off barrel?

9520B0C9-2B0E-40C9-96C8-ECC2FAD1A574.jpeg

This one isn’t bad, just so many better things out there at the same price point for sherry.

AB2AF8F2-A2B9-4F22-87A2-F970F2FDB243.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads