• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Waistcoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
You'd get more details if you mentioned what varieties of Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig you were considering.

Sorry I was referring to the standard 10/12yo variety. Since it's my first Islay I don't want to start with anything too extravagant. Thanks for the reply btw ama. Curious also how Caol Ila matches up with the others I mentioned

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Waistcoat
Curious also how Caol Ila matches up with the others I mentioned

Charcoal, peaty a little citrus. I wouldn't start with it.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Dumbed down as much as possible.

Ardbeg - peaty and citrusy
Lagavulin - peaty, some sweet sherry, a little floral, a little salty (most complex of the three IMO)
Laphroig - medicinal, peaty
Laphroig QC - sweet, peaty, woody
Talisker DE - pepper, sweet and a little salty

Damn son, you need to put those taste buds to work in an industrial application..
laugh.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Damn son, you need to put those taste buds to work in an industrial application..
laugh.gif

Or maybe I just drink too much.
redface.gif

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
Deanston 12 Year Old, two fingers with one ice cube

Affordable and Delicious

bullrams

Reaction score
Imagine a simple grid with Delicate to Smoky moving up the vertical axis, and Light to Rich across the horizontal axis. All single malts can be plotted on the resultant four quadrants. For example, Glenlivet and Glenfiddich fall in the bottom left quadrant (light and delicate). Talisker and Caol Ila are in the top left quadrant (light and smoky). Glenmorangie and Macallan are in the bottom right quadrant (light and rich). But it's in the top right quadrant"”smoky and rich"”that you'll find the most interesting of single malts, like Lagavulin, Cragganmore and the brooding, haunting Bowmore.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
get into a Bowmore that is 18 years deep and it's got that feeling that is similar to putting a really great pair of shoes on, something you know nobody is really up on but you. It's relatively easy to get ahold of, but still very beautiful and has something that many don't have, it's like the Crockett and Jones handgrade of scotch, if Bowmore 12 is the C+J regular line. I drank nearly a whole bottle of Tobermory 12 over the summer, that is like the Loake low brand of Scotch.
redface.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
had that Jura 30y recently; it was immense. Had an overload of sherry nose, way more aroma than was even swimming in my mouth, which was a lot. I don't even know if I'd want to drink something like that regularly if I could afford to do so even, it'd be overkill on but all of the most special occasions where I'd also need to have tons of patience.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drew, I don't know if Charly mentioned it, but I'll be in town from Sun to Wed in case you guys have time to get a drink (actually, I don't even know if I'll have time yet).

Newstyle

Reaction score
What are some good recommendations of scotch for a beginner to try without spending too much money? Where would one start?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the Balvenie Double Wood 12..about $40-50ish. I think some people here will recommend you Cragganmore 12. I'm going through a bottle right now, and I like it so far. As for something under $40 bucks and readily available, I don't think you can go wrong with the Glenlivet 12. Just stay away from Islay for the mean time. I remember my first Islay experience. I was like &quot;Dude did I just taste fish?&quot;

My first single malt was the Highland park 12. It's really great all around and not that expensive either. Also don't be afraid to buy some samples. You can always buy some 50ml bottle.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Drew, I don't know if Charly mentioned it, but I'll be in town from Sun to Wed in case you guys have time to get a drink (actually, I don't even know if I'll have time yet).

well, if you do find some time, drop me a note on the book of faces. My body clock is pretty twisted lately, so a scotch lunch at midnight is all within normal for me right now, and I got a couple bars I'd like to show you.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually had Lag 16 last night. It's got to be my favorite scotch to date.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads