• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any experience from bigger guys ordering from the online MTM companies?

$7Pen

Reaction score
Getting into a second career, about to graduate with a new degree this December and need to get a decent quality suit for upcoming job fairs and interviews this fall... but I'm pretty a big guy (about a 52R(US) OTR). Any bigger guys have any experience ordering from the online MTM companies like Black Lapel, Oliver Wicks, etc? From what I understand, these company mainly work off of patterns and from their options menus, the dropdown usually stops around size 46 or so.
So for those who have ordered larger suits, did online MTM work out for you? Any issues ordering? Did any of them turn you down? Any help or advice welcome. Looking to go this route because in these sizes it seems the only options OTR I'm finding are either super cheap or pretty expensive suits. And even with the cheap route, after extensive tailoring, I'm still looking at the MTM prices. Any advice welcome, thanks

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTM is merely adjusting standard blocks vaguely to you measurements. The pill is softened by colour linings, alleged choice of pockets and contrast thread to sew buttons on and also the odd button hole.

I say "vaguely" because the paths are littered with the stories of on line MTM which have gone horribly wrong - it matters not what your physique is, wrong is wrong. Search Indochino for typical examples but problems are prevalent with many such vendors.

Is there a local tailor who can offer you bespoke garments? These have been known to go wrong because the salesman has had five minutes instruction in measuring customers and an hour being told how to earn commission. Those are the exceptions but you will not have the experience to measure yourself despite any videos on offer, and such important things as figuration will not be determined.

Online vendors, as well as bricks and mortar shops will certainly add a price premium for your size, so you will not get any relief there.

I am not trying to put you off but you do need to tread warily for your first commission.

$7Pen

Reaction score
I'm in the Phoenix area, and there are some great tailors, but for a suit my size I'm looking at about $1500 on the low end there to have a single suit made, which until I get employed isn't feasable.

$7Pen

Reaction score
I've been lurking around here for a few months as well as checking out youtube. I've seen a lot of warnings about Indochino and some others, and tend to see decent reviews about Suit Supply, Black Lapel and Oliver Wicks. From all the "rate my suit" threads, I'm definitely expecting to have to work with the company a few times in getting a good fit. I'm also open to any other advice on what can be done in the $600 ish price range.

papado

Reaction score
I've been lurking around here for a few months as well as checking out youtube. I've seen a lot of warnings about Indochino and some others, and tend to see decent reviews about Suit Supply, Black Lapel and Oliver Wicks. From all the "rate my suit" threads, I'm definitely expecting to have to work with the company a few times in getting a good fit. I'm also open to any other advice on what can be done in the $600 ish price range.

Suitsupply OTR would be in your price range but it appears to stop at around size US50 (thought 52 is an option online but appears to have no stock to select?). Their MTM starts at like 1k which you stated appears to be not in the budget at the moment.

My best suggestion for something in the $600 space would be to buy an OTR suit from Brooks Brothers (as they do go into the 50+ sizes OTR) during their big sales at 40% off which gets you to around 600 so you can have a workable suit until you have sufficient cash flow to go the MTM route.

I'm a 'bigger' size (US 46/48) and have trouble finding suits so I can understand your struggle somewhat, but I would highly suggest starting with something off the rack before your go MTM so you actually know what is out there and what you like. A crappy online MTM as a first decent suit will not give you a good baseline of what looks good on you and what may work for your body type, which I think can sour the experience of wanting to feel great in your tailored clothing.

starro

Reaction score
Agree with the above. But if you do go the MTM route, make sure to pick a company with a generous return policy. Ideally they'd offer to keep re-making until you're satisfied with fit, or they give you an alterations allowance.

$7Pen

Reaction score
Oh wow, that's quite the sales discount. Thanks I'm still fairly new to actually buying quality clothing and have to train myself to start thinking that way. Typically only used to 10% ish discounts by stores lol.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried these guys in Scottsdale?

http://www.exclusivelybigandtall.com

Re: MTM Don't do online MTM.
Do in store MTM. At least you may have someone competent
measuring you- no guarantee, but greater probability. Also,
$1500 won't get you much for good MTM.

Last edited:

$7Pen

Reaction score
I haven't tried there comrade, thanks! So far I've pretty much just been to Dillards, Macy's, Nordstroms, Sears, Brothers Tailors, DXL and Mens Warehouse. I'll be sure to check them out.

iviustang50h

Reaction score
Another vote for Brooks Brothers here. I took a gentlemen there about a month ago who wheres a 50, and they were able to fit him pretty well. They also offer their own MTM program.

sarteaga

Reaction score
As a 46/48 myself. I understand. Give SuitSupply a shot and order a 52 online. I've found their suits are by far the best option for me OTR.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try Brooks Brothers. I am a big guy, usually wear a 50L, with some muscle. The Milano fit is modern and fits well. SuitSupply suits are cut extremely tight. I cannot find a single suit there that fits my thighs, and the armholes make me feel like Tommy Boy.

MTM is tricky, and I use a traveling tailor for most of my suits now. It has taken about 5 suits from them before I got the fit close enough for everyday work purposes, but there are still minor issues I get cleaned up by a local tailor. I have not used or tried an online MTM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics