• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Convertible Car Owners?

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Here's a quick shot of mine.

1981 380SL with a little over 150,000 miles.

IMGP3123.jpg

Awesome! I will always have a fondness for these. My first car was an '83 380SL.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
S2000 here. There are nicer convertibles, but no better sports cars for the money. This car is something else on a track. But if you are looking for more of a GT, pick something more comfortable. Mine is top down whenever it is above 5 degrees C.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Birks and Grey Socks
S2000 here. There are nicer convertibles, but no better sports cars for the money. This car is something else on a track. But if you are looking for more of a GT, pick something more comfortable. Mine is top down whenever it is above 5 degrees C.
Those really are nice. When my midlife crisis hits (any day now), I'd strongly consider one of them. +1 on the top down part!

CSCoHammers7

Reaction score
My daily driver is a GMC Yukon XL, problem is I live in Hoboken NJ (across the river from Manhattan) and the parking there may be worse than NYC itself... seriously, it's a nightmare in a normal car, let alone the monster I drive. So I've been considering getting a small coupe for parking purposes and figured I might as well make it a fun convertible for the summer and my bi-weekly Boston drives. Not looking for anything pricey since it's just an on the side thing. I've considered a Mini Cooper convertible. Right now it's my front-runner since it's so small and perfect to park. Do any of you convertible lovers have any recommendations for a small convertible, let's say in the 12k range? Used, of course. Thanks!

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Miata, S2000

Also Z3, Toyota MR2, TT, Boxster, Solstice, SLK...though my preference would be for the first two, for various reasons.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CSCoHammers7
My daily driver is a GMC Yukon XL, problem is I live in Hoboken NJ (across the river from Manhattan) and the parking there may be worse than NYC itself... seriously, it's a nightmare in a normal car, let alone the monster I drive. So I've been considering getting a small coupe for parking purposes and figured I might as well make it a fun convertible for the summer and my bi-weekly Boston drives. Not looking for anything pricey since it's just an on the side thing. I've considered a Mini Cooper convertible. Right now it's my front-runner since it's so small and perfect to park. Do any of you convertible lovers have any recommendations for a small convertible, let's say in the 12k range? Used, of course. Thanks!

1999 Porsche Boxter - $11500 (edgewater)

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CSCoHammers7

Originally Posted by dcg
^Miata, S2000

Also Z3, Toyota MR2, TT, Boxster, Solstice, SLK...though my preference would be for the first two, for various reasons.

Yep. See above.

The answer is always Miata.

CSCoHammers7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
^Miata, S2000

Originally Posted by Digmenow
1999 Porsche Boxter - $11500 (edgewater)

Originally Posted by skalogre
Yep. See above.

The answer is always Miata.

Looks like I have a lot of searching to do haha but you guys have definitely broadened my horizons. Thanks again, SF fam!

MarcInDentonTx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Completely forgot there were non-luxury cars with hard top convertibles now. I still like the Lexus SC430.

I drive an SC. Might be the best, most reliable and comfortable convertible I've had so far.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcInDentonTx
I drive an SC. Might be the best, most reliable and comfortable convertible I've had so far.
The SC has been around a long time, but has aged nicely. They still look good to me.

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
Sc is a great choice,fantastic car that won't give you a headache.
I recently rented a brand new e250 convertible on a trip.i enjoyed it more than anything else on that trip.for my next car i was planning a cayenne,but this merc has really put doubts in my head.i never thought i would use a convertible more than 5 days a year,and that the thrill would die out eventually.after the e250 though i am a changed man.

chet31

Reaction score
BMW 330 vert here. They are impractical, but wife owns an SUV. I thought she would "borrow" the vert more, but as others have indicated, she doesn't like what it does to her hair. I would recommend one w/ a rear seat. Not enough space really for passengers, maybe for short trips, but it is useful for cargo. The BMW also has a decent sized trunk.

Verts are noisy, especially on freeways. The tire noise on some cars and semis is unbelievable. However, if you roll up your windows, it knocks down a lot of the noise. Most other times, noise is not an issue.

For me, the days I can drive top down more than offset the days w/ the top up driving an impractical car.

Decahedron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Birks and Grey Socks

love the s2000 and im not at all trying to start a fight. with that preface, would you say the s2000 is a better sports car for the money than the miata? i agree that its the better sports car, but i think the miata might represent a better value. examples under 1000 are far from rare. i spend 3800 (i was getting impatient after looking for a year) on mine which came with 15x8 panasports, a hard dog roll bar and has needed nothing but oil and gas. Ive done plugs, wires, and fuel filter as basic preventative maintenace.

Things the miata and s2000 share:

~Very Good reliablity
~Great shifter
~nice(r for the s2000) sounding motor
~RWD
~50/50 weight distribution
~Great aftermarket.

The S2000 has over the miata
~power top
~almost double the horsepower (insert lame torque jokes here)
~better sounding motor
~much stiffer chassis
~nicer (though more cramped in my experience) cockpit.
~much better headlights.
~standard LSD?

The miata has over the s2000
~much lower buy in price...as much as 2/3s less
~cheap as dirt replacement parts
~easy to work on (im honestly not sure and wouldnt be surprised if the s2000 was just as easy to work on, though)

So the questions are basically if the advantages of the s2000 outweigh the cheap price of the miata. I think for about 12k you can have a very nice running s2000 thats near stock, or a similar performance modded miata. its really just two ways to the same fun goal!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Decahedron
love the s2000 and im not at all trying to start a fight. with that preface, would you say the s2000 is a better sports car for the money than the miata? i agree that its the better sports car, but i think the miata might represent a better value. examples under 1000 are far from rare. i spend 3800 (i was getting impatient after looking for a year) on mine which came with 15x8 panasports, a hard dog roll bar and has needed nothing but oil and gas. Ive done plugs, wires, and fuel filter as basic preventative maintenace.

Things the miata and s2000 share:

~Very Good reliablity
~Great shifter
~nice(r for the s2000) sounding motor
~RWD
~50/50 weight distribution
~Great aftermarket.

The S2000 has over the miata
~power top
~almost double the horsepower (insert lame torque jokes here)
~better sounding motor
~much stiffer chassis
~nicer (though more cramped in my experience) cockpit.
~much better headlights.
~standard LSD?

The miata has over the s2000
~much lower buy in price...as much as 2/3s less
~cheap as dirt replacement parts
~easy to work on (im honestly not sure and wouldnt be surprised if the s2000 was just as easy to work on, though)

So the questions are basically if the advantages of the s2000 outweigh the cheap price of the miata. I think for about 12k you can have a very nice running s2000 thats near stock, or a similar performance modded miata. its really just two ways to the same fun goal!

Don't forget that the Miata has the advantage of less expensive consumables such as tyres, brake pads, brake discs et.c. And it is a lot less likely to be stolen than a Honda S2000. Plus the S2000's staggered tyre sizes make it impossible to rotate front to back.
Bonus: Spec Miata/MX-5 Cup!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads