• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice shoes @PCK1 and @demian !

I got a quote for shipping from Antonio, 130 eur seems obscenely expensive though for transport to the US.
Sadly that is about on par with what I paid for shipping from Italy to NYC (about 10 euros more or so I think, but it was two years ago). If you go on to DHL's website you'll see that is pretty much the exact price for shipping a box.

One pays more shipping from Europe to the US than the other way around. Something I figured out in the UK when Royal Mail wanted almost triple what USPS wanted to ship a box back to the USA. I ended up ordering my second and third pair when in London to cut down on the shipping costs.

The Euro is pretty cheap now relative to the dollar on a side note, so you're saving some money there.

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really cool shoe. Don't love the colors.

Same thought. I am considering this model, but different colors. Trying to nail down the last.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying to nail down the last.  

Which is a perfect segue to my question. What's everybody's favourite non-Aurum last? I've been going through his tumbler and for his regular line there are times when he doesn't identify the last.

sd2002

Reaction score
I can say that I really like the Habu last I used for my wholecut. The Mayfair last look pretty sweet too

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anybody know what last this is? I am looking for a birdseye view.
Looks like 19040:
He has quite a lot of lasts for his standard range, many who was developed when he worked for Kiton. Check the first page of the thread, many of the pics there are having the last nr. in the picture, like this one above.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are most likely going to Italy in the spring and I've convinced the girlfriend to make the pilgrimage with me to visit Antonio!

Anyone know which leather this museum brown pair is made from?

http://instagram.com/p/wlgTIZRA_b/

I'm also interested in this one:
http://instagram.com/p/ww-nXuRA0M/

Cheers, gents. Happy holidays to you and yours.

cgo

Reaction score
I believe they are not museum leather but rather hand colored leather. The first image is a test shoe (and therefore it can't be museum leather)

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you need Museum calf when you can have Antonio antique the shoes for you?

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe they are not museum leather but rather hand colored leather. The first image is a test shoe (and therefore it can't be museum leather)

Why would you need Museum calf when you can have Antonio antique the shoes for you?

Ah, thanks for the correction!

Really excited to visit his shop. I will contact him.

Cheers,

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These arrived today in time for Christmas...my first two Aurum pairs. Subsequent orders are already being placed for another two pair.
I will write a very long write up sometime in the New Year...as I traveled to Airola, Italy to meet Antonio and visit his factory where I got to see my two completed pairs. Too busy now so you will have to live with a few pics and a brief story. I will post many more pics of the shoes then too.

Two Eyelet Derby with Teju Lizard Facing and Teju Lizard Tassle Laces - Made on the Habu Last to Aurum standards

I like the two eyelet derby...but the below blue loafer is really the marvel of the two pairs.

Antonio has named this model the Petronius. When I first reached out to Antonio I had seen a green Carpincho three eyelet derby on his tumblr that he made as an Aurum sample shoe and I immediately knew I wanted something made in Carpincho. Antonio wanted to design a Roman-style buckle loafer and so we decided to make the first ever Aurum model of it in the blue Carpincho suede. The shoe is made on one of Antonio's Aurum Chiseled lasts with the ergonomic designs and the apron is hand-stitched.

To design the model, Antonio first made a sample pair to test the pattern and make sure it was what he wanted. Then, he adjusted the last to fit my feet, and made my test shoe as this loafer to test the fit and further the design. Finally, once fit and design were perfected he produced my completed pair.

For those of you that don't know what Carpincho is...it is the suede of a capybara (the largest rodent). It is an extremely unbelievably delicate and soft suede that is rare to acquire. Many people say shoes shouldn't be made from Carpincho and they have no idea what they are talking about. Antonio has reinforced the Carpincho from the interior with additional leather to strengthen it and add to its durability. It needs to be brushed very delicately on a regular basis. It's not for a novice or someone who intends to wear the shoes every day.

To see more you can visit Antonio's tumblr where he posted his own pics of the two pairs

Model Petronius Carpincho Loafer - http://meccariello-calzoleria.tumblr.com/post/104085545550/aurum-model-petronius-a-new-aurum-model-a

Two-Eyelet Derby - http://meccariello-calzoleria.tumbl...urum-two-eyelet-derby-a-two-eyelet-derby-made

Missed these before, absolutely stunning both of them, congrats!

To answer the question that is his "chiseled" Aurum last, which is the actual name of the last.

I have a pair in that last and I like it very much. It takers a narrow welt or thick welt very well, so I'd suggest you specify which one you want when you go for it.

Do you talk about Europreps question? Cause I don't think that it looks like the Aurum chiseled last, the last in Europreps pic is more elongated, the Aurum chiseled is shorter with a more curved outer ball area and steeper instep. Also the pic seems to be from before the "Aurum era".

Last edited:

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you talk about Europreps question? Cause I don't think that it looks like the Aurum chiseled last, the last in Europreps pic is more elongated, the Aurum chiseled is shorter with a more curved outer ball area and steeper instep. Also the pic seems to be from before the "Aurum era".
Yes that is what I referring to.

In the picture Antonio labels them model Quintus and on his tumblr he has Quintus as "Chiselled".

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes that is what I referring to.

In the picture Antonio labels them model Quintus and on his tumblr he has Quintus as "Chiselled".

Ok, but the shoe below is from 2012 or before (posted on the first page of this thread), so before he had developed his Aurum lasts, so can't be that, and definitely don't look like Aurum chiseled to me. The model he calls Quintus for his Aurum collection looks like this which is a different model, and the model Quintus can be made up on any last.
Still thinks it looks like the 19040 last, but easiest way is of course for Europrep to ask Antonio directly.

Quote:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads