• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I agree with what @BomTrady said. It feels like déjà vu, but we seem to have this discussion over and over again, each and every time, when a new comer asks "Is AM shoes better than brand XYZ?". Let's face it: this thread is effectively an AM fans club, and to ask this kind of question and expect an unbiased answer here is at least unwise, and can potentially be seriously detrimental to health (financially, that is).

We live in a world where information is much more available than before - say, even 20 or 10 years ago. We are responsible for actively trying to find an answer ourselves and not just take opinionated arguments as fact. There is unintentional information and there is deliberate misinformation. You, as the proud owner of your next beautiful pair of (handmade) shoes should be wholly responsible for your decision.

i see your point...and no one can reasonably deny that for the price, AM produces highly exceptional footware. However, we shouldn’t assume that everyone is a price conscious purchaser. If you are not, AM’s competitive pricing is meaningless and you are simply buying the shoe because you like it.
I think this is Golden. Trying to become a price conscious purchaser can sometimes lead to actual difficulty in enjoying menswear. There are a few friends of mine, who, by virtue of their training (they work in the financial sector), try to reduce purchases to checklists. They try to quantitative ascertain how much a 180-degree hand-welting is worth. They try to calculate how much they should pay the maker to get a better cut of the leather 20 cm closer to the spine of the calf. They try to compare the exact width, in millimetres, of a fiddle-back waist to see which maker delivers the best waist for the buck.

Do you enjoy your AM shoes because his stitching is 3.5 spi denser than Vass? Do you enjoy you AM shoes because his triple-box tannage leather resists 1.5 millions more flexions compared to Crockett & Jones handgrade leather? Do you enjoy your AM shoes because Mr Meccariello spent 2 hours polishing your Aurum pair before delivery, whereas Gaziano & Girling paid young Justin FitzPatrick to do it for 1.5 hours only? Perhaps we do - or we don't - but the bottom-line is we like shoes not only because they are a quantitatively meaningful portfolio yielding N% of compound interest per year. We like shoes because owning them and wearing them makes us happy.

If one is truly looking for the best "value", he should leave the discussion here and start WeChatting the latest bloom of Chinese, Vietnamese and Indonesian shoemakers - who have literally all the time in the world to do everything by hand (sometimes also due to a lack of machinery) and pay full attention to your pair. As long as you can ship them a piece of leather (who cannot buy Ilcea or Annonay hide from AA Crack or Rocky Mountain Leather Supply these days?) and instruct them to take the best cut from it, the alleged "Makers in China/ Vietnam/ Indonesia cannot get good leather... they have crap leather an make you crap" can immediately be disregarded. The value-conscious buyer would become the happiest man in his (own) world - and immune from potential adjustment disorder when he discovered that there is a new and unworn pair of Gaziano & Girling St James II on eBay, priced at EUR 15.9 lower than his Aeris Principes II - with lasted shoe trees and free express shipping included.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
Actually that is a good point. Once I get home, I will post some pictures for inspiration. To wet the palate, you will be looking at a pair of medium brown loafers in a llama leather with medium brown colored alligator tassels.

demian

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes, post: 10073595, membro: 278522"]
Come accennato, ecco le foto dei mocassini Bocache & Salvucci.
View attachment 1337318View attachment 1337319View attachment 1337320View attachment 1337321View attachment 1337317
[/CITAZIONE]
Dear Thank you for posting ,nice color.

Sorry for asking ,are these made in Blake -Mac key stiching?
I remember that this maker usually offer mac-key stiching, instead of welted or good year stiching.
How much you paid for these? :blush: 🙏

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Cordovan wholecut chelsea - similar to seamless oxford - is just a beautiful non-utile item for people who don’t need shoes.

Meaning: art 🤪

On a more serious note, wholecut chelsea is regularly offered only by a handful of makers (e.g. RM Williams, Gaziano & Girling, JM Weston, Paolo Scafora and Justin FitzPatrick) and a lot of big names actually stick to the non-wholecut design (e.g. Edward Green, John Lobb, Berluti, Saint Crispin’s) in their regular offerings. If one wants a sleek wholecut chelsea with interesting colour, the options are tragically limited.

The easy way to convince AM to do it would be a successful GMTO - although this tends to require an awful lot of coordination to become successful.
Update from Antonio:
- lasting of shiny pickup truck/ cordovan wholecut chelsea done

7D430C26-597B-43D0-9899-F1B4A2EE6218.jpeg0CB7D3DF-2BC8-4E74-AD1C-C2CC2155BF6C.jpeg3240B840-5FAF-4667-8CAC-A12176A6B050.jpeg

Everything had to be wet, so it will take a few days he can proceed to the next step...

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes, post: 10073595, membro: 278522"]
Come accennato, ecco le foto dei mocassini Bocache & Salvucci.
View attachment 1337318View attachment 1337319View attachment 1337320View attachment 1337321View attachment 1337317
[/CITAZIONE]

Dear Thank you for posting ,nice color.

Sorry for asking ,are these made in Blake -Mac key stiching?
I remember that this maker usually offer mac-key stiching, instead of welted or good year stiching.
How much you paid for these? :blush: 🙏
For loafers they typically always offer, pretty insistent on it actually haha, a Blake stitch. Their insistence stems in that they claim a more flexible & comfortable shoe, which makes sense because you would want those qualities in a loafer.

In this case I am sacrificing a bit of comfort, so these are handwelted.

Price was $2200.

how do you like them that’s definitely a lot more “Italian” tassel for lack of better world than the AM suede ones (which seem a lot closer to Alden/CJ kind of design).
Haha they offer a more conventional tassel stance, but I actually wanted to push the boundaries on these. Since I went the alligator route, I figured that this stance may raise up the pizzazz quotient. My last few pairs of loafers have been more "Italian" .
The Enzo Bonafe loafers in green may take the title though from these in that regard haha.

Their oxfords and derbies tend to be more toned down. Boring I would even say compared to the likes of Bestetti, early Meccariello, Bontoni, Scafora, etc et. Most comfortable shoes I own though. Break in is like next day (wear). Hopefully I don't suffer too much with breaking these suckers in, and going against Gian Lucas' suggestion.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update from Antonio:
- lasting of shiny pickup truck/ cordovan wholecut chelsea done

View attachment 1337368View attachment 1337369View attachment 1337370

Everything had to be wet, so it will take a few days he can proceed to the next step...
man I’m waiting for you to b*tch and moan about maintain that shining truck, joking aside, I’m sure it will come amazing, curious how uniform can AM maintain color on Cordovan (it’s whole cut so got to be very uniform?)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never seen Bestetti in the wild, I liked what I saw in Paolo Scarfora though looks like Skoat is not carrying them anymore (at least no stock).

Incidentally some of the more expensive new made in italy (~$1k) Paul Stuart shoes looks kind like Paolo Scarfora but can’t be sure.

I don’t have experience with Stefano Bemer post his passing (no bespoke from him, just happen to pass by his shop in Florence when I was walking around with then girlfriend now wife).

I always like Bontoni’s finishing but not sure how they stood over time. AM’s finishing stays on very well for the 3 years I own them.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 87 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 158 31.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 144 28.9%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 58 11.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 26 5.2%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.2%