1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Another car decision conundrum

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by CouttsClient, Oct 28, 2010.

1. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Ok, after more than a year of going without a car, taking cabs, using car service, etc...I've decided to buy a car. The problem is that I don't necessarily "need" one for anything in particular so deciding on a style/type is difficult.

Here are a couple that catch my eye. What cars are turning your head these days? The Brooklands is the price ceiling for the purchase so no Bugatti recommendations. [​IMG]

Brooklands:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

California:
    [​IMG]

G55:
    [​IMG]

Or...go the super executive route and get a town car: (doing so makes a good case for hiring a driver...which as far as I'm concerned is a dream come true [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

2. username79

username79 Senior member

I could never own that hideous Bentley knowing I could have had one of these for similar money:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CouttsClient

The Aston is out...I find the interiors lacking in quality...

The 599 is a beast and I should consider it. Just not sure it's the best idea for a "daily driver", which is why the Cali is on the list as it's a fairly comfortable daily but can kick ass should you ask it to do so.

4. bkk

bkk Senior member

(insert review based on never driving any car of this stature, but base it completely on forum comments)

5. username79

username79 Senior member

The Aston is out...I find the interiors lacking in quality...

The 599 is a beast and I should consider it. Just not sure it's the best idea for a "daily driver", which is why the Cali is on the list as it's a fairly comfortable daily but can kick ass should you ask it to do so.

Nice trolling. The 599 is more of a GT than the California. I would rather daily a 599 than a California or 458.

6. CouttsClient

Nice trolling. The 599 is more of a GT than the California. I would rather daily a 599 than a California or 458.
    I've driven both. Just giving my opinion. Sure you might like driving the 599 on the daily but think the 599 is in an entirely different class of car aimed at an entirely different kind of driver. I can't see buying one simply for picking up a few items at Whole Foods and dropping by to visit a friend but the Cali is more suited for the "mundane" stuff but has enough "edge" AND big plus for me is that I can drop the top on a nice day. What other cars float your boat?

7. Scooba

Scooba Senior member

Maserati Quattroporte

8. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I'd get a Subaru.

9. CouttsClient

Maserati Quattroporte

Thanks. That slipped my mind...

I'd get a Subaru.

Interesting. Why?

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

don't buy any of those cars to put junk miles on.

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

don't buy any of those cars to put junk miles on.

If you can't afford to put the mileage on it, then you are just buying a car to pose in.

I'd fricking stick snow tires on an FXX and drive around it in winter if I bought one. What's the point of just having it sit in a garage?

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Oh yeah, I'd just get the driver.

But not in a Lincoln Town Car, just buy something like a Lexus LS460L... At that point all you want is massaging seats and enough room that you can work in it as needed.

13. impolyt_one

If you can't afford to put the mileage on it, then you are just buying a car to pose in.

I'd fricking stick snow tires on an FXX and drive around it in winter if I bought one. What's the point of just having it sit in a garage?

Well, I just think it'd be a shame to see some of the last great cars that we will see before the electric takeover rack up a quick 90,000 city miles and get beat up unnecessarily. If you're buying a $300,000 car, you can probably get them to throw a Prius into the deal so that you can go to Whole Foods and shit. Junk miles don't mean not driving it, it means not driving it to the supermarket.

ps OP, if you don't know what you want, get a black 997 turbo and call it a day.

14. CouttsClient

Oh yeah, I'd just get the driver.

But not in a Lincoln Town Car, just buy something like a Lexus LS460L... At that point all you want is massaging seats and enough room that you can work in it as needed.

That Lexus is really nice. A hotel I was in used it as their hotel car and I remember it being a really comfortable ride...thanks for the reminder

15. CouttsClient

Well, I just think it'd be a shame to see some of the last great cars that we will see before the electric takeover rack up a quick 90,000 city miles and get beat up unnecessarily. If you're buying a $300,000 car, you can probably get them to throw a Prius into the deal so that you can go to Whole Foods and shit. Junk miles don't mean not driving it, it means not driving it to the supermarket.

ps OP, if you don't know what you want, get a black 997 turbo and call it a day.

What sort of miles don't you consider "junk" miles?

16. Jarandas

Jarandas Senior member

Buy the Brooklands, you´ll have a sports car (530bhp, 774lb ft, 0-100km/h in 5.3 seconds, top speed of 184mph) that is comfortable, luxurious and a style that never gets outdated.

Ferraris are great, but after 10 years or so, every Eastern European thug and his dog have one.

Mercedes G Class, nice, but not even in the shadow of the Bentley, it is just a production car.

The Lincoln... isn´t that a taxi?

17. Mr.Pinchy

Mr.Pinchy Senior member

Original poaster is full of shit

18. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

That Lexus is really nice. A hotel I was in used it as their hotel car and I remember it being a really comfortable ride...thanks for the reminder

I think they are a bit of deal for the money too. Get the Mark Levinson audio option. I have the ML and it sounds great.

19. CouttsClient

I think they are a bit of deal for the money too. Get the Mark Levinson audio option. I have the ML and it sounds great.
    Saw one tonight on the way home. How long have you had yours? Any issues?

20. impolyt_one

What sort of miles don't you consider "junk" miles?

Well, you said yourself that you'd feel odd driving a 599 to Whole Foods - that's because those would be junk miles. There's driving, and then there's running around and commuting, sports cars should be driven. If you can afford a $300,000 car, what is stopping you from getting something nice and something else more sensible?

Saw one tonight on the way home. How long have you had yours? Any issues?

issue with a Lexus? none, unless you planned on using the brakes. [​IMG]