• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Incredible Sale at Saks!

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
I am so tired. Can barely type this. I just came back from the saks on 5th ave in NYC. I was there for 8 hours. I mainly got a million shirts: 4 Canali's at $56 pre-tax, 1 canali at $36 pretax, 1 zegna at $66 pretax, 3 armani's at $66 pretax, 1 borelli at $60 pretax, 1 gucci at $80 pretax and 1 Paul smith at $60 pretax (all rough estimates). I will be returning some no doubt. I also got a pair of seven jeans for $58 and a diesel shirt for $16. The worst of these shirts would qualify as the nicest in my closet. Pretty good score for a complete noob. Also a good time to open a Saks card.
Hah...thats all Pretax. How much did the tax on all this add up to?

Material Boy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Hah...thats all Pretax.

How much did the tax on all this add up to?

A reasonable 4.375%. Much better than 9% in Chicago, 8.5% in SF and 8.25% in LA.

For the longest time, NY city tax was at ~8.3%. They lowered it to be more competitive with NJ? Just a guess.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Material Boy
A reasonable 4.375%. Much better than 9% in Chicago, 8.5% in SF and 8.25% in LA.

For the longest time, NY city tax was at ~8.3%. They lowered it to be more competitive with NJ? Just a guess.

Yeah thats what I thought.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
To be honest I didn't even check the tax (and don't know off hand what it is because I just moved here). I just posted the numbers I came up with in my head as I was shopping. My mental accounting should be pretty good as I'm an accountant

andyw

Reaction score
...........got lucky today at the 5th Avenue flagship, picked up a couple RL Blue Label Corneliani suits in the rare 38S at 1/3rd retail. (The post) Christmas (sale) came early this year!

brokencycle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Material Boy

I thought Chicago just moved to like 11.5%

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brokencycle
I thought Chicago just moved to like 11.5%

Depends on what part of Chicago. There are state, city and county taxes. I think in Cook County outside the city of Chicago it's still 10%.
frown.gif

JR88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
I hope nothing, since there's no tax on clothing items under $110 in NYC.

I think this is per item.

Chicago sales tax is 10.25% so we can pay our millions of city employees.

SKS is trading around $3.65. Market cap around 500M. That's about what Tiger Woods makes in a few years. He should buy Saks and turn all of the stores into huge indoor golf centers. Except the NYC flagship.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR88

Chicago sales tax is 10.25% so we can pay our millions of city employees.

For those of us living outside of Illinois, it's an incentive to have merchandise shipped, especially from stores that provide free shipping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads