• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Idea for Style Forum...

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought it would be really cool if you could have some sort of a spreadsheet with all the different shoes in it showing style, construction, colors available, quality ratings, a small picture, and price. I bet you could do the same for suits. i recommend someone else undertake this geeky task.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Artisan Fan, your idea has legs.

Do you want to create some of the categories and then people can start filling it in? For example:

Shoes: <$200, $200-$400, $400-$600 ...
Shirts: <$50, $50-$100, ... etc. etc.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Artisan Fan, your idea has legs. Do you want to create some of the categories and then people can start filling it in? For example: Shoes: <$200, $200-$400, $400-$600 ... Shirts: <$50, $50-$100, ... etc. etc.
Wouldn't it make more sense to create a list and then let people do the search after (ie brown shoe less than $400)?

Raz

Reaction score
teacha.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the idea as long as a wide variety of brands and styles are impartially described for each price point. As in, Alden's are of superior quality but have more traditional styling than Studio-line Ferragamo. I personally can't go to a store and see all of my options from $300-$500, and even after spending a lot of time here I'm sure there's stuff out there I don't think of. It would be beneficial in that sense, and there's probably an expert on nearly every brand on here somewhere. Inlcuding information on where regular deals are (i.e. Grapevine hill for RLPL, Plal for C&amp;J, eBay for AE, STP for Sutor, etc.) would be great as well. There's so much information that a complete newbie has to acclimate himself to, and this would provide them with a reference point to jump off from and ask their own questions.

I kind of agree with Fuuma that it's dangerously close to a guide on how to be dressed by the internet but that's basically what beginners are coming here for anyway---because they can't dress themselves. They need a starting point before they develop their own tastes, and to be educated on quality at the same time.

And even if we don't end up with a list, I think at the bare minimum a wiki article on interview dress would be entirely beneficial to answering that age old question, with several different styles that fall within the realm of appropriate attire. As long as it's neutrally written I think it would be a valuable resource.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Artisan Fan, your idea has legs.

Do you want to create some of the categories and then people can start filling it in? For example:

Shoes: <$200, $200-$400, $400-$600 ...
Shirts: <$50, $50-$100, ... etc. etc.

Give me a day or two to think about what is best.

j, do have any ideas?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Dividing things by price level might be somewhat useful, but if I went by that I'd be wearing Merona I got after markdown.

Would it have cool pictures of cut apart Oxxford and Kiton?
bounce2.gif

It would obviously have very graphic pictures of heinous acts of sartorial inquisition.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I kind of agree with Fuuma that it's dangerously close to a guide on how to be dressed by the internet but that's basically what beginners are coming here for anyway---because they can't dress themselves. They need a starting point before they develop their own tastes, and to be educated on quality at the same time.
The wiki could eventually evolve into a wikibook on men's clothes that is more of a living document than something like Dressing the Man. But for now I'd say we should concentrate on documenting the FAQs and reference-type information.
Originally Posted by Brian278
And even if we don't end up with a list, I think at the bare minimum a wiki article on interview dress would be entirely beneficial to answering that age old question, with several different styles that fall within the realm of appropriate attire. As long as it's neutrally written I think it would be a valuable resource.
There's a starting point for that: http://wiki.styleforum.net/index.php/Interview_attire
Originally Posted by whacked
Quoted, for this Wiki post deserves more attention. The ranking, while indeed useful as a starting point, has some serious flaws: Corneliani, Canali and Isaia Napoli way down toward the bottom. Really?
I made the list as personal notes from reading the archives. Unfortunately I didn't record references because I didn't think anyone else would ever see it and I was only using it as a rough guide. Anyway, be bold and correct it, perhaps with rational on the talk page?

AcuraNSX

Reaction score
Love this idea. As someone starting out and eager to learn more, I am excited about were this will go. I like the price point ideas with company names so we know what falls into our ranges.

P.S. I even did a search on "RTW" today....to no avail. Would somebody be so kind as to point out the meaning to me? It seems to mean somethink like off the rack???
confused.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes - ready to wear

AcuraNSX

Reaction score
Thanks gdl203! Been agonizing over that one all week.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads