• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Idea for Style Forum...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Let's modify the proposal a bit.

Have a poll to pick a "blue ribbon panel" of experts to make initial selections for the list. Folks like Matt, Manton, Despos, Rider, etc. would be the sort of knowledge level we might want.

Then allow member suggestions maybe by vote to come in.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the truth
Good idea Mr. Despos.

The only problem I see is that some members don't believe things even when they are laid bare before them, so you could even have a great deal of bitching and moaning over whether certain people actually believe whether their favorite brands meet these qualifications.

Nevertheless, I feel it is a good idea and will bear fruit.

At the very least great lulz.. and maybe some butthurtz like last time!
lol8[1].gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan

Have a poll to pick a "blue ribbon panel" of experts to make initial selections for the list. Folks like Matt, Manton, Despos, Rider, etc. would be the sort of knowledge level we might want.

If I am the Matt in question, I assure you that I have near zero knowledge outside of the few things that I like, buy and wear.

Originally Posted by T4phage
At the very least great lulz.. and maybe some butthurtz like last time!
lol8[1].gif

One can only hope.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I also plead ignorance as to the merits/make of most RTW brands.

TheDroog

Reaction score

This might be a little too restrictive. What I like about SF is the liveliness of debate, and you'd need an open forum to keep things active.

If I had to choose between open (lively, mixed with good/bad advice) and invitation only (potentially staid, exclusively good advice), I'd go with open. The thread would have a better chance of thriving, methinks.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Woohoo let's streamline the taste of posters even more!!!

An explanation about various contruction levels, factories used , etc is, of course, always appreciated but beyond that you're just making a "how to be dressed by the internet" sticky thread.

A less regimented flow of information and ad hoc answers to questions tend to wield more dynamic results IMHO. Otherwise you can just read books you know...

BTW what's a great book about suit construction and fabric? I don't want something about the rules just a great reference concerning how it's made. Bonus point if it is pleasing to the eye.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I think a list of what you get for the money to be more useful. Perhaps categories in $500.00 increments. A list of brands stating full fused, half canvass, full canvass, hand finish, machine made, premium cloth, cheap cloth, plastic buttons, trim fit, fuller cut, silhouette, natural shoulder, no pad, big pads, etc. Sorry, I don't know many tailoring terms. Maybe what body type works for which brand as well. This would eliminate many posts regarding the make of brands or garments and a good reference. This criteria is also objective and can be verified.
This thread attempting to rank suits shows some of the difficulty of such an undertaking: http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=337376 But what the hell, I'll throw something up on the Wiki and see what happens: http://wiki.styleforum.net/index.php/Suit_quality

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EG name is missing from the wish list of the "blue ribbon panel".

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
EG name is missing from the wish list of the "blue ribbon panel".

Maybe we could do something other than a blue ribbon panel.

There are some benefits from doing this in spite of some minor challenges.

*We could highlight some collective knowledge in one convenient place.
*We could determine when going bespoke becomes a better value in terms of price...say Despos <=some Kiton/Brioni/etc.
*We could point out exceptional bargains for new and established members.
*We could introduce new brands which may be quality but not have a lot of "mindshare" or street advertising/marketing.

I'm just trying to add some value here.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Dividing things by price level might be somewhat useful, but if I went by that I'd be wearing Merona I got after markdown.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
BTW what's a great book about suit construction and fabric? I don't want something about the rules just a great reference concerning how it's made. Bonus point if it is pleasing to the eye.

Would it have cool pictures of cut apart Oxxford and Kiton?
bounce2.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
This thread attempting to rank suits shows some of the difficulty of such an undertaking: http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=337376

But what the hell, I'll throw something up on the Wiki and see what happens: http://wiki.styleforum.net/index.php/Suit_quality

Quoted, for this Wiki post deserves more attention. The ranking, while indeed useful as a starting point, has some serious flaws: Corneliani, Canali and Isaia Napoli way down toward the bottom. Really?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Folks like Matt, Manton...

Can't we get cooler kids than that? In particular, Manton is well known to wear clothes that are really, really old...older than some posters.

How about a two-person person tribunal consisting of (1) emorel and (2) OxxfordSLINY? Tribune #2 can then apologize for the loud pants worn by Tribune #1, but apologize facetiously.

Actually, doesn't one of those Japanese menswear magazines (Men's EX?) do something like this annually, or did something like this last year, at least for suits? I remember emorel posting scans of it.

- B

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Quoted, for this Wiki post deserves more attention. The ranking, while indeed useful as a starting point, has some serious flaws: Corneliani, Canali and Isaia Napoli way down toward the bottom. Really?

Maybe we're trying to accomplish too many goals with one idea. Does someone looking for an interview suit really need to worry about nuances like hand-sewn buttonholes v. machine stitched? Many newcomers just want simple, understandable advice -- what type of shoes to buy for their interview, not a treatise on shoe construction. There's a risk of information overload.

Rather than a strict rating, maybe we should look at helpful Wiki articles: "Good suits for those on a budget," "Kiton v. Oxxford: What separates the best RTW suits," etc. Maybe we could even categorize them as "The basics" and "For the obsessives," or somesuch.

the truth

Reaction score
Maybe we could do something other than a blue ribbon panel.

There are some benefits from doing this in spite of some minor challenges.

*We could highlight some collective knowledge in one convenient place.
*We could determine when going bespoke becomes a better value in terms of price...say Despos <=some Kiton/Brioni/etc.
*We could point out exceptional bargains for new and established members.
*We could introduce new brands which may be quality but not have a lot of "mindshare" or street advertising/marketing.

I'm just trying to add some value here.

Hop to it Artisan Fan, and give it the first shot. Surely, that would add more value than simply telling other people what to do. From there others could correct the mistakes on the wiki.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads