• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Allen-Edmonds thread for Monday, 23 August 2010

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I would like to know how many pairs of Allen-Edmonds ("AE"s, for those in the know) I should purchase before buying a single pair of nicer, less ugly shoes: twenty, thirty?
haha.
to me, buyin 20-30 ae is like going to some Home depot and buying to collect those generic toad or gnome statue things you put in your front lawn (for some). you have one, fine. you have 20-30 of them? uh..

QuestForReason

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Look: this thread was not an open invitation for cynicism.

Each week, there are many questions about Allen-Edmonds:

• How to tree them?
  • Why do they not fit my foot?
  • Why are used ones that I buy on the Internet not in like-new condition?
  • AE: brown or black? And once I choose, which color shoe polish?
  • Why is AE customer service angelic...and why is it evil?
  • What is with AE and Canada?
  • Alden: ripoff?

And so on. These are fundamental StyleForvm questions, which is why they are asked every week...even every day.

So far today, none of these questions had been raised. The objective of this thread, then, is provide a receptive home with a very high fence to allow to allow the AE enthusiasts put up their 360 degree welted feet and recite from the Canons of Allen-Edmonds Inquiries.

So, stop messing things up. Thanks.

- B

Amen
worship.gif

Valid question: has anyone had trouble with customs when ordering seconds into Canada? AE's should be duty free given their Made In USA declaration.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Alden makes the superior shoe.

Yes, yes, yes...this is the same old tired refrain of the AE naysayer.

So, let me retort: perhaps Alden makes a superior shoe, but Alden does so at a superior price.

I commend you for engaging in thoughtful debate. I am not such a fool that I feel that we will resolve all Allen-Edmonds questions in this thread. It is, after all, only The Allen-Edmonds thread for Monday, 23 August 2010.

But...and this is the optimistic in me...I hope that we can re-visit all AE questions again, again, and yet again.

- B

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
haha.
to me, buyin 20-30 ae is like going to some Home depot and buying to collect those generic toad or gnome statue things you put in your front lawn (for some). you have one, fine. you have 20-30 of them? uh..

AE has a few styles that seem OK to me, though none of them are superior to the corresponding version produced by Alden. Also the fact that the AE store in San Fransisco seems to be staffed by out of work college kids isn't an overwhelming endorsement of the brand.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
AE has a few styles that seem OK to me, though none of them are superior to the corresponding version produced by Alden.

Let me see...I'm looking inside my AE Retort box. I'm reaching inside now...here it is at the bottom...hold on a second...

allenedmondsparkavenue.jpg

Yeah, that's right: with one photograph, the good guys from Port Washington have ripped you a new one.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ Those shoes look like they need to start eating Activia in the morning.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ Those shoes look like they need to start eating Activia in the morning.

You're a smart guy, so let me ask you: can I peg the soles of my Allen-Edmonds for extra strength and Austro-Hungarian street cred?

I realize that this question has been asked many times before, but I don't think that you have weighed in on it yet.

Thank you.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're a smart guy, so let me ask you: can I peg the soles of my Allen-Edmonds for extra strength and Austro-Hungarian street cred?

The premise of your question is false so an answer is both both impossible and moot.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me see...I'm looking inside my AE Retort box. I'm reaching inside now...here it is at the bottom...hold on a second...

allenedmondsparkavenue.jpg

Yeah, that's right: with one photograph, the good guys from Port Washington have ripped you a new one.

- B

That shoe has a rather short toe cap that I believe makes it not "superior to the corresponding version produced by Alden."

I didn't say they are all ugly, just the few that aren't fail to be superior in appearance to the Alden version. Thankfully my corn hole is safe from the AE augmented manhood of Port Washington.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Thankfully my corn hole is safe from the AE augmented manhood of Port Washington.

JLibourel is a good shot, and knows his weaponry.

No more need be said.

- B

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I would like a sizing matrix relating to the pair of Allen Edmonds seconds to be worn and the pair of Allen Edmonds seconds to be used as trees.

Allen Edmonds.

Look's like Sebago beat them to it:

1g.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics