• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

American Gods

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's a couple of years old, but damn... what a fantastic book! Makes me want to go back and re-read Sandman (for the nth time)..

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you share what you liked about it?

I thought it was terrible compared to his Sandman stuff.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I will rep any thread about a Gaiman book.

+1

If you're on a long road trip, I highly recommend listening to Anansi Boys. Neverwhere was also a good one to listen to but couldn't say much about the BBC series they did on it, as I've never seen it.

It may sound childish, but I also immensely enjoyed the Graveyard Book.

For any Doctor Who fans out there, Neil reported at a book-signing I went to a while back that he has written an episode that will appear in early 2011.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Can you share what you liked about it?

I thought it was terrible compared to his Sandman stuff.

I liked everything about it. The concept was very good, I thought. I liked the style as well - the various vignettes of different "gods" being brought to and abandoned in the new world. I thought it was very original. I liked his writing style as well. As far as comparing to Sandman, I think it is very difficult to compare a graphic novel to a conventional one - the technique is so different.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only Gaiman book I really enjoyed was Good Omens, where he collaborated with Terry Pratchett.

Are the graphic novels better?

mgoose

Reaction score
I have to say I wasn't a big fan of either Anansi Boys or American Gods, but of the two I liked American Gods better.

Rambo

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
The only Gaiman book I really enjoyed was Good Omens, where he collaborated with Terry Pratchett. Are the graphic novels better?
I don't know about better but Sandman is one of the best comics ever written. If you can get a hold of the Absolute version then that's where you should start.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.