• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I violating the "Matchy Matchy" rule?

oxfordamerican

Reaction score
I know it's a faux pas to match your tie exactly to your pocket square, but I was wondering if the same is true for matching your tie to your socks. I am going to a wedding in January, and I was planning on wearing a light grey nailhead suit, white dress shirt, white pocket square, burgundy wingtips, navy tie with small white dots, and socks of the same color and pattern. If this is no good, I have solid navy socks as well as navy socks with a white windowpane pattern lined up as alternatives.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Too foppish in my opinion as well. I also wouldn't wear burgundy shoes to a wedding.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore matching tie and socks on the last Election Day. Matching tie and socks are the sort of thing that nobody would notice, unless you call attention to it. I don't see anything wrong with it. Who makes up all these "rules" that no one ever heard of before the internet?

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No plain navy would not be foppish, nor would the others you mentioned. Bear in my mind these are my opinions and I mean no offense.
Not to speak for someone else, but generally speaking a wedding calls for black shoes, the same way it does a white shirt. I guess exceptions exist (outdoor summer wedding for example).

oxfordamerican

Reaction score
No plain navy would not be foppish, nor would the others you mentioned. Bear in my mind these are my opinions and I mean no offense.
Not to speak for someone else, but generally speaking a wedding calls for black shoes, the same way it does a white shirt. I guess exceptions exist (outdoor summer wedding for example).
No offense taken. After all, I asked for your opinion. The only reason I was going to match the socks and tie in the first place was because I wanted to wear the burgundy shoes and I thought they wouldn't look good with black socks, but if black shoes are the more appropriate choice, I suppose that solves that problem. Also, I was going to wear a blue wool/cashmere topcoat. Would that be alright or should I stick with black there too? I have the same one in black so it wouldn't be a problem.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't wear black socks if you switch shoes.
Blue is a better choice than black for the coat too, though I never think about a coat in relation to the rest of an outfit as long as the formalities of both match.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear black shoes, unless it was formal hosiery. Navy socks is ok, but it does lean on the fashionable side with a grey suit. Of all of your choices for the wedding I would go with the solid grey socks with the grey suit. As for burgundy shoes, it is a wedding and burgundy shoes are getting close to the casual side of traditional business attire. Furthermore, I think the only shoes that should be burgundy are shell shoes, so if your burgundy shoes aren't shell get rid of them. I mean, it is a wedding, you have a sleek white shirt, a sleek pocket square, why break that line with something like burgundy shoes? Go with classic black shoes. There is a school of people, myself included that asserts that white shirts call for black shoes anyway.

The whole "fun socks" thing while you think it is only for you and nobody notices, trust me, people notice.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too much grey violates the so called "matchy-Matchy rule" as does a white p.s,with a white shirt. well, if such a thing existed.

try your options in front of a mirror, and decide what works for you, the wedding groom would not be offended if you put in the effort.
after all, a friend wore blue nike's with a suit to my wedding, i was just grateful he wore a suit and tried his best. - but the shoes?
facepalm.gif
at least he tried. bless him.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Offending people is probably at the bottom of my priority list in almost all situations in life and weddings are no different honestly. I just think what looks good looks good. Fun socks, when I see them (almost daily) I just can't help but think it is somebody trying too hard to be stylish. It isn't personal flare, which is the rationalization for it, because 95% of people are doing "fun" socks these days. It is just as tacky as Ugg boots and a $2,000 handbag that's commonplace on college campuses around the country.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ agree with you for the most of it. "fun" socks remind me of "Fun" Doctor's ties. ugg boots are fashion -not style, which i see as 2 different things.
(stylish people ignore fashion)
that said, there are no objections here to wearing socks that are colored, but not "Fun" .
there are plenty of nice socks in many colors. and yes, they can co-ordinate with your tie. or shirt(which i prefer). just learn to do it well, before any major events.

not trying to argue P.B. just clarifying that i like colors but not "Fun"

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics