• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to Church's

anonomouse

Reaction score
I don't mind spending 500 to 600 usd on shoes, but I want quality and have heard that Church's has been slipping since it was bought out by prada. Who does better quality around this price range or lower? ( I really don't care about the brand I just want high quality shoes that will last many many yeas)

cgo

Reaction score
You can find some Vass shoes on the B&S thread for a bit more than $600

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones, Cheaney, Tricker's, GJ Cleverley (Re-badged C&J), Fosters & Son (Re-badged C&J)...List goes on.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
join "operation paprika", see my signature

bbhewee

Reaction score
If you can stretch to 700 euros with the current exchange rate, you could get some Edward Greens from London...

Having said that, some recent posts actually compliment the quality of recent Church's.

zorglubb

Reaction score
How is the quality of Herring shoes? I've seen them online and they are alot cheaper than church's

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zorglubb
How is the quality of Herring shoes? I've seen them online and they are alot cheaper than church's

Their 'Premier' range is excellent.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who actually has experience with post-Prada Church, I can vouch that the leather and construction quality is at least on par with my C&J handgrades. Re: the 'post-Prada Church quality slip', think about it - have you actually read about anyone who has actual experience with a faulty or poor quality pair, or is it just something that noobs with no experience with the actual product but an irrational hate of Prada keep repeating? Seriously, do a search and look at all the SF threads from a few years back fresh in the aftermath of the Prada takeover - everyone just repeats what they've 'heard from someone', but when anyone asks whether anyone has any actual experience the conversation dies. That said, apparently the MSRP did take a hike once Prada took over which translates of course into a serious dip in value for money - but seriously, who pays MSRP? e.g. I picked up a pair of first grade Custom Grades for $290 shipped - so, there all you folk who say that there are no deals to be found on eBay.

swinnerton

Reaction score
Hi...I have been wearing Church shoes for the last twenty five years and I bought two new pairs last year.I have not noticed any dimunition in quality and find their quiet rather understated styling to be comforting and reassuring.I always send them back to the factory for soling and heeling and find this service excellent and relatively modestly priced.
My total footwear collection consists of five pairs of Church's ,one pair of Sperry topsiders,one pair of Dunlop wellingtons and a pair of Birkenstock clogs which I use as slippers.
Regards

my_alias

Reaction score
I have three pairs of Churches I purchased in the last 18 months and they quality is outstanding

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^^+100 I agree. I have worn Church's shoes for twenty years, and just bought a new pair of Diplomats on the 173 and a pair of Chetwyns on the 173 this past week--I have about 15 pairs. They are very well made. I own Lobb, Green, C&J, AS, and Church's mainly and frequently find myself going back to the Church's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads