• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alter to make the suit silhouette slimmer

Banker94

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Here's my situation. I bought a suit (from SS) half a year ago, when I was at 210lbs, during my "bulking phase" of working out.

I've since gone into my "cutting phase," cutting down on my diet and doing more aerobic exercises. I am currently 180lbs (with most of the weight loss around the mid-section/belly), my waist size went from a 36 to a 32, and my body fat percentage is probably around 15%. I plan on continuing to cut to a 10% body fat and stay in that physique -- no more bulking and cutting.

The suit I bought used to, and still fits me very well in the chest/shoulders, but the mid-section has become looser since I've lost weight. The waist has already been altered and suppressed when I initially bought the suit, so I don't think any more waist suppression is necessary or desirable. However, I'd like the entire silhouette to be just slimmer (right now I can very comfortably fit a fist in between my belly and the jacket). I feel like the effect can be achieved by getting rid of some fabrics on the back, but I don't know anything about tailoring.

So my question is this: can the slimming of the entire silhouette be done, and if so, how/how much would it cost?

I've attached some before and after pictures. The first two are from the 210lb me, and the next two are me right now. Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, slimming is easy on the proper hands but a side effect sometimes are out of pitch sleeves.

Not an deep defect compared to throw out the suit by being big so worths it if alteration is not expensive.

I would recommend better fitting trousers. Those look strange. I am using a mobile phone so can't see itvery well.

Banker94

Reaction score
Yes, slimming is easy on the proper hands but a side effect sometimes are out of pitch sleeves.

Not an deep defect compared to throw out the suit by being big so worths it if alteration is not expensive.

I would recommend better fitting trousers. Those look strange. I am using a mobile phone so can't see itvery well.
My arms are still quite big, so I don't think they would fit into smaller sleeves...

How much should the alterations cost me? And are there any good and affordable tailors in the Chicago area? My suit was initially altered by the in-house tailors at the Suit Supply store in Chicago, should I go with them again?

Thanks for the advice.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My arms are still quite big, so I don't think they would fit into smaller sleeves...

How much should the alterations cost me? And are there any good and affordable tailors in the Chicago area? My suit was initially altered by the in-house tailors at the Suit Supply store in Chicago, should I go with them again?

Thanks for the advice.

Usually, the sleeves do maintain their diameter as there are no left fabric on the armhole to reduce it to fit smaller size sleeves, so this continue same, also to save hours of work as might be barely appreciable to reduce sleeves.

The important are shoulder width and breast, waist, when reduce.

I don't know the USA price since i am European, but i used to pay 60 euros on a Corneliani shop to reduce my jackets 10 years ago.

I guess in USA will be way more, but always cheaper than throwing away a big suit.

Last edited:

Banker94

Reaction score
Usually, the sleeves do maintain their diameter as there are no left fabric on the armhole to reduce it to fit smaller size sleeves, so this continue same, also to save hours of work as might be barely appreciable to reduce sleeves.

The important are shoulder width and breast, waist, when reduce.

I don't know the USA price since i am European, but i used to pay 60 euros on a Corneliani shop to reduce my jackets 10 years ago.

I guess in USA will be way more, but always cheaper than throwing away a big suit.

Thanks for the info!

Would love to hear a few more opinions on this!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor would probably do an excellent job, although I've never had him
reduce a suit several sizes. He's done some complicated shoulder work
for me with good results. My guess is that he'd charge you $150+ for your
suit.

Banker94

Reaction score
My tailor would probably do an excellent job, although I've never had him
reduce a suit several sizes. He's done some complicated shoulder work
for me with good results. My guess is that he'd charge you $150+ for your
suit.
I'm not sure if I need to "reduce a suit several sizes," since my shoulder and chest sizes haven't changed.

In other words, I needed a 42R 6 months ago, and I still need a 42R now -- It's just that the overall fit has become a little too loose for my liking, and I wish I had bought a slimmer fit/style. I can achieve this desired effect by pinching in the cloth on the back (I'd imagine that putting a pin on the back ought to do the job), but I'm not sure how/if this can be done by a tailor.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you need a new suit mate.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to have a few jackets taken in through the body. In general, can you take a 42 and make it close to a 40 without recutting, moving pockets, etc.? My fear is the waist will have to be taken in so much that the jacket will start to have a hourglass shape.

Tank1990

Reaction score
Why can't you just get the jacket's waist pinched in a little... since your going to maintain it would make the most sense because the only thing getting smaller is your waist? Im sure the average tailor can do this?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
None of the pictures are helpful. You don't have many options except to find the right tailor that will alter the suit properly.

The jacket can be reduced at the side seams and the proper way to do this is to open the side seams and reduce the front parts more than the back. You don't want to fool around with the chest and shoulders and as you have said the chest and shoulders fit properly. You will reach a limit point of taking in the side seams when you see diagonal pulling from the chest to the waist along the sides. When you see the pulling you are at the max for reducing the front parts.

You will have this problem with any new purchase because of your new proportion of chest size to waist size. Slim fits won't work for your body proportions, you want to look for athletic cuts that have a larger drop sizing from chest to waist.

The trouser is more of an issue when reducing from 36 to 32 waist. The trouser needs to be reduced on the front part as much as the back part which requires removing the waistband and recutting the fronts. Probably will have to remake the front pockets. This is so time consuming it will be hard to find a tailor for this and will be much more expensive.
If you don't do it right the side seams will be too far to the back and back pockets will be too close to each other. The fronts will have weird looking fullness.

MTM is a more practical way for you to buy suits in the future but highly recommend you work with a tailor who understands the MTM process and your fitting needs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads