• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alter to make the suit silhouette slimmer

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure if I need to "reduce a suit several sizes," since my shoulder and chest sizes haven't changed.

In other words, I needed a 42R 6 months ago, and I still need a 42R now -- It's just that the overall fit has become a little too loose for my liking, and I wish I had bought a slimmer fit/style. I can achieve this desired effect by pinching in the cloth on the back (I'd imagine that putting a pin on the back ought to do the job), but I'm not sure how/if this can be done by a tailor.

OK, Here's a suggestion. Go to the best mens' shops in you area, Chicago,
if I recall, and ask them who their "outside tailor" is. Many mens shops use
outside tailors for special or extra alteration work. This is true of Men's Depts in
retailers like Niemans, Saks, etc. You'll probably find very competent
tailors this way. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why can't you just get the jacket's waist pinched in a little... since your going to maintain it would make the most sense because the only thing getting smaller is your waist? Im sure the average tailor can do this?

Not just at the waist. It's big through the body, ie. chest but yes, they are especially roomy the waist. I think they would have to be taken a few inches to get them to where I wanted but short of that, I'm curious to see what a tailor could do to get them close. I'll be taking one to a respected tailor near me to get his thoughts on getting it to fit better w/ out rebuilding the whole jacket. It's been the only downside to losing weight.

Tank1990

Reaction score
ahhh... Completely understand where your coming from. Hard to maintain the size on a cut... Yes, I would suggest a tailor and just getting thoughts. (I can't give professional advice of course) but I would imagine as long as the shoulders aren't touched a good tailor can do something about it. I would possibly leave a smidge, smidge and half just in case your body decides the cut isn't as natural year around (IMO). other than that I think a MTM is the best option if you really want that "Fits like a glove" feeling.

Banker94

Reaction score
None of the pictures are helpful. You don't have many options except to find the right tailor that will alter the suit properly.

The jacket can be reduced at the side seams and the proper way to do this is to open the side seams and reduce the front parts more than the back. You don't want to fool around with the chest and shoulders and as you have said the chest and shoulders fit properly. You will reach a limit point of taking in the side seams when you see diagonal pulling from the chest to the waist along the sides. When you see the pulling you are at the max for reducing the front parts.

You will have this problem with any new purchase because of your new proportion of chest size to waist size. Slim fits won't work for your body proportions, you want to look for athletic cuts that have a larger drop sizing from chest to waist.

The trouser is more of an issue when reducing from 36 to 32 waist. The trouser needs to be reduced on the front part as much as the back part which requires removing the waistband and recutting the fronts. Probably will have to remake the front pockets. This is so time consuming it will be hard to find a tailor for this and will be much more expensive.
If you don't do it right the side seams will be too far to the back and back pockets will be too close to each other. The fronts will have weird looking fullness.

MTM is a more practical way for you to buy suits in the future but highly recommend you work with a tailor who understands the MTM process and your fitting needs.
Thank you very much, sir. This was very helpful.

Banker94

Reaction score
OK, Here's a suggestion. Go to the best mens' shops in you area, Chicago,
if I recall, and ask them who their "outside tailor" is. Many mens shops use
outside tailors for special or extra alteration work. This is true of Men's Depts in
retailers like Niemans, Saks, etc. You'll probably find very competent
tailors this way. Good Luck.
Will do. Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads