• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWFII, how does croc or gator hold up in the long run? My pair hasn't creased like calf does and the tiles can't be compared to any other skin I've seen.

Depends on the tannage.

The old bombe' finished croc was a pure veg, as I understand it, and dry. It would crack out fairly readily. A lot of bootmakers...cutting the entire foot/vamp without any piecing...resorted to cutting the vamp "on the bias," so to speak--so the creases in the shoe/boot wouldn't be running in the spaces between the tiles.

The newer tannage (30 yeas since I first saw it?) has a much finer hand. I wouldn't hesitate to make any shoe or boot from it and i would expect it to last as long, or longer, than the best calf. If kept clean and conditioned..

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWF which shoemaker(s) do you think source the best croc hides?

No idea really...sorry.

I don't think sourcing is the issue, however. As I mentioned it's more a matter of cutting and utilization of the resource. If you're cutting pieces from the margins, it's never gonna be prime. If you're cutting from dinosaurs or in the tail, it's never going to look as refined as the smaller...and most importantly--younger animals.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Modern tanning can make crocodile/alligator leather as soft as fabric.

Here is the famous (infamous) Hermès "t-shirt", selling at a cool 91.5k dollars.

http://www.divahair.ro/uploads/articole/original/articole_9057.jpg

Consider the leather comes from really old and big animals (front and back are a single hide each), see how the material moves with the guy.

I wonder if the thing is washable. :)

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is anyone interested in doing an Alligator MTO through Carmina or Vass? Style is still up in the air:

Couple of options

Wholecut (this is chobochobo's alligator wholecut on Rain last by Carmina)

Dual-material boot (French Oxford boot found here)

Anyway, PM me if you are interested (and what style of shoe you would be in for) and if I get enough interest (6+), I will start pricing it out with Epaulet here in NY.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So is anyone interested in doing an Alligator MTO Style is still up in the air:

Dual-material boot (French Oxford boot

Bottom photo--the leather is caiman...not good.

Last edited:

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is anyone interested in doing an Alligator MTO through Carmina or Vass? Style is still up in the air:

Couple of options

Wholecut (this is chobochobo's alligator wholecut on Rain last by Carmina)

Dual-material boot (French Oxford boot found here)

Anyway, PM me if you are interested (and what style of shoe you would be in for) and if I get enough interest (6+), I will start pricing it out with Epaulet here in NY.
The boots is a real cool.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Depends on the tannage.

The old bombe' finished croc was a pure veg, as I understand it, and dry. It would crack out fairly readily. A lot of bootmakers...cutting the entire foot/vamp without any piecing...resorted to cutting the vamp "on the bias," so to speak--so the creases in the shoe/boot wouldn't be running in the spaces between the tiles.

The newer tannage (30 yeas since I first saw it?) has a much finer hand. I wouldn't hesitate to make any shoe or boot from it and i would expect it to last as long, or longer, than the best calf. If kept clean and conditioned..

In that cable channel program Swamp Men one sees the gator gathering guys getting (small) gators - though they love to get the big suckers - it probably is the meat and extra amount of skin they fetch that encourages them along with the skill needed.

Working on the DWFII theory those smaller gators are choice for boot leather?

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In that cable channel program Swamp Men one sees the gator gathering guys getting (small) gators - though they love to get the big suckers - it probably is the meat and extra amount of skin they fetch that encourages them along with the skill needed.

Working on the DWFII theory those smaller gators are choice for boot leather?

In my opinion, they are the choice for shoe leathers as well.

In any species, the younger animals will be yield the better leather. the fiber mat will be denser and finer. And there will be less scarring, less chance of the skins having been damaged by parasites (such as warbles and botflies in land animals and leeches in gators), and, of course, the travails of living.

Nismoredlegs

Reaction score
Long time browser, first time poster. I really only browse shoes and watches. My only vices besides good beer. Here are my first pair of nice loafers. Grail loafers to be exact. Just buy Bass loafers for bar nights and other activities where damage may occur.

Brooks Brothers size 11D...fit true to size, maybe a little loose on the heel. Nothing a thicker sock can't fix.

Pretty stoked on the actual product, didn't match the stock photo when it came to tiles. But hey still satisfying when I slip these on

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time browser, first time poster. I really only browse shoes and watches. My only vices besides good beer. Here are my first pair of nice loafers. Grail loafers to be exact. Just buy Bass loafers for bar nights and other activities where damage may occur.

Brooks Brothers size 11D...fit true to size, maybe a little loose on the heel. Nothing a thicker sock can't fix.

Pretty stoked on the actual product, didn't match the stock photo when it came to tiles. But hey still satisfying when I slip these on
Very cool ... compliments ... I really like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads