• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds = What English shoemaker in quality?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I might have an unworn pair in either 9 or 9.5 (can't remember) heading to B&S.

Moras look great. Unfortunately, they're a very poor fit in my usual size. Otherwise, I'd have taken them off your hands!

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Sator did a thread a while back (maybe on AAAC, I don't remember) that showed AE's side by side with EG's and other brands that made you rethink their "clunky" image.

That was great thread.

Originally Posted by The Louche
My father has worn the same pair of Park Avenues to work everyday for the past 11 years. They still look great. No rotation of other work shoes. 1 pair, no joke.

You should snap a pic and post it in the `well worn shoe thread` or whatever it's called.

I picked up a pair of brown Park Aves from chorse a while back and usually wear them once a week. They take a good shine and the color keeps getting better. I hope they last me as long! My other AEs are an unworn pair of black PAs, a pair of brown suede Façonnable split-toe bluchers (AE Colfax?) with Gumlite soles and a pair of black AE Chester wingtips.

I wonder if AE can reshape my Chesters over the #5 last when I eventually send them in for recrafting...As for my PAs, I'm thinking of getting them recrafted elsewhere to see if they can do without the 360 welt and trim the heels closer to the uppers. Actually, I wouldn't mind if the rest of the welt was also trimmed closer.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Can you find the link? It would be a great read. Thanks in advance.

See post 75.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Originally Posted by furo
Even at full retail, could you beat the quality with another brand?

Yes, quite a few brands make better finished, higher-quality shoes. But that doesn't necessarily translate to greater longevity. So the answer depends on your barometer.

So what brand is "better finished, higher quality" for ~325-350 bucks?

I think longevity is the essential variable when measuring quality, so that is definitely my barometer. When you think about it, that's what primarily drives most people in this world to select one brand over another, and I'm one of those people! I buy Honda due to longevity over Chevy, I buy Dell over Alienware due to longevity, I buy LCD over Plasma, Bose to Sony, etc etc etc ... all decisions highly based on longevity.

And most times, longevity isn't exclusive nor independent of other things like looks and material.

If I had to use a weighted matrix to judge a shoe's value, I'd put longevity as having 2x or 3x the weight as "elegance." Second up in my matrix would be comfort, third being looks and fourth being other stuff like detail, handwork, and elegance.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=79950

bigstar[1].gif

Very interesting thread.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E's plastic sockliner they switched to a while ago is so awful, that alone aside from the rest would keep me away from them

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sutor's posts are interesting, but a major flaw is that he looked from the top down angle. Clunkiness of AE last is from the side where the vamp is too full/straight, it does not have a necessary curve (Vox also showed this in his picture).

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Sutor's posts are interesting, but a major flaw is that he looked from the top down angle. Clunkiness of AE last is from the side where the vamp is too full/straight, it does not have a necessary curve (Vox also showed this in his picture).

Good point. Missed what Vox was talking about.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
From the wearer's perspective or when holding the shoe, it does look a bit chunky. But I quite like the way they look on other people, particularly dressed down.

I prefer Italian last, and for CJ I like 348 or 352, it's not necessary the chunkiness that botheres me, it's the general shape (the same reason why I can't appreciate most EG and good portion of Lobb). Also, from the side AE looks rather... unpleasing for whatever reason, maybe the instep is sloped too low?

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The thing to remember is that AE's stock photos are terrible - anyone interested in the brand should really search on this forum, or AAAC, to find amateur photos. They are truer to life and (generally) look twice as good.

I was searching for something else and came across this post. You know, 3 years later and it's still true. Worst shoe photos out there. Hell... ebay photos are better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads