• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds = What English shoemaker in quality?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think there's as much love here for the best stuff from, say, Loake and Grenson as there is for AE. Lots of members own Loake 1880 stuff. And the Grenson Masterpieces for Paul Stuart are some of the best-loved shoes on SF.

The lower-end English brands often suffer in discussions because of their lesser lines. I wouldn't consider buying a non-1880 Loake, and would pause before buying an 1880. But I'm also not in the market for most AEs, either.

I'd argue your concern about design is beside the point. We were discussing quality, and adding personal aesthetic tastes only muddies the waters. I like the shape of my Loake shoes better than most of AE's stuff, but I still think the AE is better made.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
If one is selective about model selection AE could supply virtually all of one's shoes quite satisfactorily. I'm not saying folks here want to do that, but I'd much rather someone wear AEs than Kenneth Cole, et al.

I think at least one of us here has already done that! (Although I'm actually wearing a pair of my Ferragamos today.)

Someone needs to post the comparison pics Sator did between AE and EG.
Yes, that was very illustrative, wasn't it?

The Brooks-Peals, C&J Benchgrades and the C&J Polos I've examined never impressed me as substantially superior to A-Es--certainly not so much so as to be worth the hefty premium usually demanded over A-E. I could maybe see opting for C&Js from Plal over A-Es at full retail, but then I've never come even close to paying full retail for any of the many A-Es I bought for myself and my stepson. In fairness, though, I haven't owned any of the aforementioned Northampton-made shoes and given them hard use. That would make a more valid comparison. Maybe then I'd rate them a good deal higher than A-Es, but I rather doubt it.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'd argue your concern about design is beside the point. We were discussing quality, and adding personal aesthetic tastes only muddies the waters. I like the shape of my Loake shoes better than most of AE's stuff, but I still think the AE is better made.

Yes and no. I think it depends on your definition of quality. I didn't mean to muddy the waters so much as to say that my definition was different, and perhaps I should have qualified myself from the start.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
Yes and no. I think it depends on your definition of quality. I didn't mean to muddy the waters so much as to say that my definition was different, and perhaps I should have qualified myself from the start.

I think you're confusing quality and personal preference. I don't like Lobbs, but I recognize they're much nicer than AEs. Objectively, they are a better quality shoe, though I don't choose to wear them.

atct86

Reaction score
I have a pair of my fathers AE's from the 80's which are in incredible shape, and have lasted through many wearings.

How would you compare Alden into the mix?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atct86
I have a pair of my fathers AE's from the 80's which are in incredible shape, and have lasted through many wearings.

How would you compare Alden into the mix?

That's a whole nother flame war, but IME Aldens are no better made than AEs. Nor do they use better materials.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Who ranked them with handgrade? I think the consensus is with benchgrade.

I'll rank Alden about the same. Not gonna get into the whole Alden v. AE thing all over again; suffice to say, they're both very good and both have their partisans.

Oops, meant benchgrade, must have been a Portnoyian slip.

Ed Sullivan

Reaction score
Went through this thread for the first time. Better than watching baseball.
smile.gif

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
That's a whole nother flame war, but IME Aldens are no better made than AEs. Nor do they use better materials.

I don't doubt your experience in this matter and I greatly respect your opinion yet my near new shell Macneils don't compare to my near new Alden shell longwings. Flatter feel, less substantial sole.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aldens feel sturdier, it doesnt mean theyre better necessarily.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

I think that this used to be true, but is no longer the case for many shoes made in the last year or so.

The shells are still nice, insole notwithstanding.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I have an old pair of AE penny loafers that are not 360 welt. The model was discontinued at least 5 years ago. Too bad.. I love them.

I think I've got the same shoes, bought around 2000 in Italy. They're in a grainy kind of leather, right? They are quite nice, and very American (in a good way, and I'm not American).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
E Quality: great at its price, almost unbeatable actually
AE last: sinfully ugly, I will look 40 years older as soon as I put one on... ok, maybe not that bad, but I just can't stand it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads