• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds store exchange

JamesBill

Reaction score
I bought some Allen Edmond PA on Amazon and they are the wrong size. Do you think the local store would be willing to take them in trade for the same shoe of a different size?

I can send them back to Amazon but I have to dress up tomorrow and need something for that.

nmamazon

Reaction score
Yes. I've done that few times. Bought from Bloomingdales when they were on sale. I was told by my friend at first who did the same as well.

Just say you received as a gift, say it was from a AE store and obviously you don't have the receipt.

This was at their madison ave store up at 54st in nyc.

Snedley

Reaction score
Yes. I've done that few times. Bought from Bloomingdales when they were on sale. I was told by my friend at first who did the same as well.

Just say you received as a gift, say it was from a AE store and obviously you don't have the receipt.

This was at their madison ave store up at 54st in nyc.
You bought them at Bloomingdales on sale on 59th St. but instead of returning them there you went down to 54th St and pulled a scam at AE and returnrd them for full price.And then you come on here and brag about committing fraud. A litle cheese eating peasant like you shouldn't even be permitted in Bloomingdales or AE. You belong in Walmart.
And I've sent your comment to every AE store in the area.They'll be more careful in the future.
sneaky2.gif

iheartangels

Reaction score

You bought them at Bloomingdales on sale on 59th St. but instead of returning them there you went down to 54th St and pulled a scam at AE and returnrd them for full price.And then you come on here and brag about committing fraud. A litle cheese eating peasant like you shouldn't even be permitted in Bloomingdales or AE. You belong in Walmart.
And I've sent your comment to every AE store in the area.They'll be more careful in the future.:sneaky2:

He never said he returned them for full price, unless i'm reading incorrectly.

Sounds like he just exchanged for a different size. I still think its fraudulent to lie about where he purchased them, but I don't believe it warrants your reaction.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought some Allen Edmond PA on Amazon and they are the wrong size. Do you think the local store would be willing to take them in trade for the same shoe of a different size?  

I can send them back to Amazon but I have to dress up tomorrow and need something for that. 

A good solution is to ask them - I would just be honest and not pretend that you bought them there. I think we all hate to get screwed by stores in which case we also should not attempt to screw any of them.

nmamazon

Reaction score
yup, just exchanged them cuz bloomingdales doesnt run under 8, no other menace done. anyways, found a new source for AE, dont care if u report brah...

Snedley

Reaction score
He never said he returned them for full price, unless i'm reading incorrectly.
Sounds like he just exchanged for a different size. I still think its fraudulent to lie about where he purchased them, but I don't believe it warrants your reaction.
You're just trying to rationalise his fraudulent behaviour and make excuses. A shoe bought on sale is likely one that has been laying around for awhile because it didn't sell and is terefore an older shoe and not worth the same as a brand new one from the factory. Also, many items put on sale have minor (or not so minor) imperfections that the salesmen who are around this stuff all day notice and mark for the items that are put in a sale which also makes the items worth less.
Manyitemson sale are also odd sizes that few men wear like smalls or xxxlarge or size 8eee shoes which is why they are on sale.
Many of these "bargain" hunters on SF see a shoe 1/2 off and think they can squeeze their size 10 into a 9 . They don't want to rturn it at the store because they know the store doesn't have their size and the only reason the shoe was on sale is because it was an odd size.Instead of just getting a refund from the store they try to palm it off on a legitimate full price AE store.
It's fraud and the guy who did it knows it's fraud.

nmamazon

Reaction score
You're just trying to rationalise his fraudulent behaviour and make excuses. A shoe bought on sale is likely one that has been laying around for awhile because it didn't sell and is terefore an older shoe and not worth the same as a brand new one from the factory. Also, many items put on sale have minor (or not so minor) imperfections that the salesmen who are around this stuff all day notice and mark for the items that are put in a sale which also makes the items worth less.
Manyitemson sale are also odd sizes that few men wear like smalls or xxxlarge or size 8eee shoes which is why they are on sale.
Many of these "bargain" hunters on SF see a shoe 1/2 off and think they can squeeze their size 10 into a 9 . They don't want to rturn it at the store because they know the store doesn't have their size and the only reason the shoe was on sale is because it was an odd size.Instead of just getting a refund from the store they try to palm it off on a legitimate full price AE store.
It's fraud and the guy who did it knows it's fraud.

man, so much for helping out a brah out here..

Not trying to legitimize what I did, but at least want to get a kick out out of shooting down Mr. Law-Abiding-Citizen here. Two shoes exchanged are: AE McAllister and AE Fifth (not bloomingdales). Neither were on sale per item, got sale via dept. wide sale. What you got to say about this..want to take your rationalization further?

imanewbie

Reaction score
one could of just returned them at bloomingdales got your cash back and then went to AE to get the shoe you really wanted. Too many variables in the story and too odd to believe thats why folks are giving this person a hard time.

other than that its hard to believe, but hey its the internet right...

Snedley

Reaction score
one could of just returned them at bloomingdales got your cash back and then went to AE to get the shoe you really wanted. Too many variables in the story and too odd to believe thats why folks are giving this person a hard time.

other than that its hard to believe, but hey its the internet right...
He's still trying to justify his criminality which makes him a pusillanimous pipsqueak pissant punk. Wy would he go around to places like Bloomingdales and any other place he could pick up something cheap knowing that it doesn't fit? The loser apparently has a lot of time on is hands too and is likely some kid or dummy with a min. wage job (if he even has one) He's buying stuff on sale (it's on sale because only the odd sizes are left or he'd buy his correct size)cheap that doesn't fit and then tries to exchange it at AE for the right size which he can't find on sale.
Now he can go impress his little friends in the "hood but he's still not getting laid
lol8[1].gif

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be better to explain the situation to a SA at the AE store and politely ask for assistance. Unless the SA is having a bad day, s/he will likely help you out. I recognize that you can save money by ordering from Amazon, but please consider going to Nordstrom or an AE store first for a fitting before ordering online.

Best of luck.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps there are reasons for AE stores allowing such exchanges without receipts. Maybe whatever AE you purchase from any (dept.) store ultimately profits them, and they're willing to give you an exchange as long as the shoes you brought in are new. This would make sense if the dept. store pre-purchased AE shoes at a certain wholesale price, and their own sale is priced so that there is at least some marginal profit. AE is not stupid and I don't think they would do an exchange if the shoes were not in re-sellable quality. Correspondingly, I doubt they would allow no-receipt returns. If this is true, there should be no problem being truthful with the SA.

Last edited:

imanewbie

Reaction score
Well AE is like sears crafstman store where only sears makes craftsman tools so they carry a lifetime warranty no matter who you got them from. My grand daddy broke flat heads and phillips many times he walks into any sears and show them and he gets a new one even if its upgraded looking handle he gets it. AE im assuming is the same way no one makes AE and only AE makes AE stuff. Thats why they carry a premium which I dont mind paying due to customer service and only AE stuff is sold made by AE no 3rd parties probably why they could take some new looking shoes even if bought from a 2nd party dept store.

heck I think there are serial numbers on each shoe they make.....to track them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads