• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it a pipedream to ever get Mcallisters (or anything) in cappuccino shell again?

Afraid so. Both Horween and AE had issues with color variance. Even wider than usual, if you can believe.

The closest colors out there are Carmina's cognac (readily available) and Alden Revello (good luck getting some of that).

MichaelKnight

Reaction score
Picked up these truffle cordovan Dundee's from the ShoeBank during the RA sale, $297. These are my first shell. Is the creasing acceptable? There is no wear on the soles. From what I've read this is normal with future wear anyways. I've ordered some of their cordovan cream.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

.... I was also considering a brown pair of McGreggors on clearance. Any thoughts about brown long-wings with odd trousers and jacket? I'm on the fence with since the color is so dark. I'll probably just wait and get a dark brown FA. I would prefer the Thomastown if they came in brown.

I think a brown LWB is generally thought of as a sold choice for many OJ/OT combos. I sure enjoy mine. What is your concern about going dark brown and why would an FA - a punch cap Oxford - in the same color work better for you? Because it is a great suit shoe?

Last edited:

FaRKle

Reaction score
Picked up these truffle cordovan Dundee's from the ShoeBank during the RA sale, $297. These are my first shell. Is the creasing acceptable? There is no wear on the soles. From what I've read this is normal with future wear anyways. I've ordered some of their cordovan cream.

Perfectly fine. I had a pair of come like that too.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I vacillated on picking up shell Dundee's during the RA sale, then my size was gone. So much for living my life without regrets. Maybe I'll get redemption next Fall.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If those are 10.5E then those creases are absolutely unacceptable and you would do well to ditch them quickly to avoid needless embarrassment. However, I would ease your burden as a personal favor.
1f60e.png

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in love with the Allen Edmonds Hardwick mode. Unfortunately, there is a real dearth of information about them online. I want to know more about the shoe (e.g. care, leather, etc.) and to buy more of them, but Google gives me close to nothing. Does anyone have info? Please tell me everything you know about this show and please, please, please tell me where I can buy it. Thank you!

Buster Brown

Reaction score
Got to wear my Fifth Street balmoral boots tonight. I don't get to wear suits enough so I started cheating and wearing these with coat and tie.

I wish AE would do more with balmoral boots. Perhaps something in oxblood, dark chili or even suede.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up these truffle cordovan Dundee's from the ShoeBank during the RA sale, $297.  These are my first shell.  Is the creasing acceptable?  There is no wear on the soles.  From what I've read this is normal with future wear anyways.  I've ordered some of their cordovan cream.

If these are truly truffle cordovan I would not use the AE brown cordovan cream. It will cover up the beauty of the truffle shell color. I recommend saphir neutral cordovan cream as needed.

Dan08

Reaction score
Thought I'd add some pics to show the good and bad.

First, the color is nice:

Those scratches show in real life, not just due to the flash. This finish seems more prone to it than the dark Chili or Walnut.

Now for the bad, you can see the throats bowed even without my feet in them:

And the heel is 3/8" shorter on one than the other! The lack of a bevel will fool your eye, but note the base of the heel is forward of the brogueing on one, and aft on the other. Very disappointing lack of attention to detail. I realize they're $90 cheaper than comparable non-sale shoes, but this is just sloppy:

Any update on this? I received my pair of City's and I'm having the exact same issue as yourself (throats bowed out and uneven heel).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads