• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Got my new pair of Cognac Dublin McTavish's in the mail. Love the color and leather.

On the bottom of one of the shoes, they fully missed the channel for a few inches in two places when they stitched the soles onto the shoes. Wondering if you guys think this warrants exchanging them? Note that these are firsts, not seconds.

The channel is there to submerge the stitch below the level of the leather so the stitching doesn't directly wear on the ground, so ordinarily I would think it'd be a bigger deal. But as you can see in the pic, this is on the back of the sole where it arches up to the heel, which hardly ever has the chance to come into contact with the ground.

Would you send these back or just wear them?

Cheers,
Kevin

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got my new pair of Cognac Dublin McTavish's in the mail. Love the color and leather. On the bottom of one of the shoes, they fully missed the channel for a few inches in two places when they stitched the soles onto the shoes. Wondering if you guys think this warrants exchanging them? Note that these are firsts, not seconds. The channel is there to submerge the stitch below the level of the leather so the stitching doesn't directly wear on the ground, so ordinarily I would think it'd be a bigger deal. But as you can see in the pic, this is on the back of the sole where it arches up to the heel, which hardly ever has the chance to come into contact with the ground. Would you send these back or just wear them? Cheers, Kevin
I wouldn't worry. One of my shoes has this, and it hasn't been a problem. That part of the sole doesn't get as much contact with ground as the toe and ball.

shoelover

Reaction score

shoenoobie

Reaction score

Just received my CAVANAUGH SNUFF SUEDE.

Certainly better color than the bitter chocolate suede. Much lighter and anything darker is probably too dark for suede loafers.

Last edited:

velvel87

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds Hillsborough's online new in box, but something is off with the heel. Is this normal/can it be easily fixed through just wearing them? The heel only touches the ground at its most forward point. It will lay flat-ish if I put the shoes on, but I feel the added pressure by the most forward point of the heel. Any thoughts?

misterellington

Reaction score
I think those have gotta go back.

I've seen a touch of heel-raise, but that looks a bit excessive, and if you're feeling that bit of pressure towards the middle of your foot...call me crazy, but excessive walking in that situation just seems to be a setup for foot pain. Which NO ONE needs.

BKBridge

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds Hillsborough's online new in box, but something is off with the heel. Is this normal/can it be easily fixed through just wearing them?

The heel only touches the ground at its most forward point. It will lay flat-ish if I put the shoes on, but I feel the added pressure by the most forward point of the heel. Any thoughts?

Send those back for sure. I have to be honest, those are a really ugly shoe.

shoelover

Reaction score

shoenoobie

Reaction score
Send those back for sure. I have to be honest, those are a really ugly shoe.
I am in no place to dis anyone's style, but I agree with the comment. Man that pair is ugly..

shoenoobie

Reaction score
Anyone else dye the the sole's edge/heel into the regular brown for the Bourbon colored shoes?

Not a huge fan of black soles at all, and I sent away all of my bourbons to dye them into the natural brown that AE offers to Walnut, Chili, etc. Cobbler did a great job previously with dying my Navy Suede Cavanaugh. But now it's all about the question of style.

Will post pictures when I receive them next week, but was wondering if anyone else thought of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads