• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi Peppercorn, is your statement on corrected grain based on a personal knowledge of the shoe or do you have a source? If it is from an accessible source, please share the link as more information is always useful. Many thanks.

Last fall AE reissued McClain and Weybridge in "polished" leather as a Black Friday special for under $200.

In AEspeak, "polished leather" = corrected grain.

You can believe me, or not. :)

Oh, I believed you the whole time. I was just trying to learn new sources of information.
1f600.png

garland

Reaction score
The so-called "classic" Weybridges (Not the reissue or the "new" golf shoe variant NOW available on the site) were listed as being made of "Ungaro Kork Leather". These were the Walnut, Dark Chili and Black colors. Now "Ungaro Kork" may well be a fancy-pants way of describing an exotic technique of correcting "not great" hides, but...that's what they were listed as. I've seen a few pairs of these and they don't crinkle like most CG stuff. It's a weird, buttery soft variant.

"Ungaro Kork" is what walnut is still made with for Strands, Daltons, Fifth Ave, etc. Its just the designation for the calf that is used. More than likely it comes from whichever tannery it's sourced from. It's definitely not corrected grain of any kind.

BKBridge

Reaction score
Flatirons in bourbon today with a blue pinstripe suit.

Between this post and the post the other day about bourbon I think I'm starting to develop a drinking problem
lol8[1].gif

My last purchase was between bourbon strands and oxblood daltons, I'm starting to regret the decision of the boots. Okay not really, but I think some bourbon Mcgregors may make their way into my closet by the end of the year.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not being a "boot guy" I will throw this out to the forum. I found some new blue Cronmoks with the red laces for $119. I forgot to look to see if they are firsts or seconds, so assume they are second quality. What is the reputation on the boot and is this price good, bad, about right or "crazy good?" All opinions are welcome.

ironfist1906

Reaction score
HELP!!! I recently purchased a pair of AE shell Leeds seconds they were refinished due to one shoe being lighter than the other. As you can see below they also had a couple scratches which I hoped the AE cordovan shoe cream would alleviate.

I followed all directions however once I began to buff of the cream this was the result. It appears to have stripped the finish off the shell. I'm not sure if this is the refinish that was applied and I've simply gotten down to the bare shell or if i've ruined the shoe. Any guidance is appreciated.

evilWagon

Reaction score
Maybe someone could help me out as I would like to grab a pair before the sale ends;

Does the Dundee 2.0 have more volume than the original or is the volume the same and the pattern is just different?
Thanks!

billikenman

Reaction score

Between this post and the post the other day about bourbon I think I'm starting to develop a drinking problem 
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

My last purchase was between bourbon strands and oxblood daltons, I'm starting to regret the decision of the boots. Okay not really, but I think some bourbon Mcgregors may make their way into my closet by the end of the year.
I'm pleased I could help feed your addiction. :)

billikenman

Reaction score
Polishing a few of my balmorals. Clockwise from top left:
AE Chester in burgundy
Meermin plum museum calf cap toe on Olfe last
AE walnut strands
AE fifth ave in Bob's chili

Last edited:

_C350_

Reaction score
I am debating either dark brown burnished or oxblood in strand with dainite sole. Which one should I go for?

shoenoobie

Reaction score
Polishing a few of my balmorals. Clockwise from top left:
AE Chester in burgundy
Meermin plum museum calf cap toe on Olfe last
AE walnut strands
AE fifth ave in Bob's chili

Dude. Your Fifth Ave in Chili is SAVAGE.

Did you get high shine on them? I am trying to get some burnished effect + high shine. Would you recommend???

misterellington

Reaction score
My first “PCC” shot (“PepperCorn & Coffee)

The weather is turning here in NYC, so the maiden voyage of the Nutmeg “Big Surs”. Broke in about halfway through the day and I got compliments throughout.

The late afternoon sun light these suckers up like fire. :)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HELP!!! I recently purchased a pair of AE shell Leeds seconds they were refinished due to one shoe being lighter than the other. As you can see below they also had a couple scratches which I hoped the AE cordovan shoe cream would alleviate.

I followed all directions however once I began to buff of the cream this was the result. It appears to have stripped the finish off the shell. I'm not sure if this is the refinish that was applied and I've simply gotten down to the bare shell or if i've ruined the shoe. Any guidance is appreciated.

I'm no expert, especially when it comes to shell cordovan, but I doubt you've ruined it. I would definitely post in the Shoe Care thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

Also, the general recommendation I've seen for shell is wipe with a damp cloth and brush for a while. Creams, etc. are a rarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members