• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been a 10.5 D for about 25 years in other shoes. I came to AE this year, and all of my pairs are 10.5 D, five last Strand, McAllister, Shreveport, and also other lasts including Gobi and Hale. I confess I don't understand all these sizing posts.

I'm a 7.5c-8b on the Brannock, and I take one of those two sizes in just about everything (besides egregiously mislabeled lasts like Alden's Barrie) including the 5 last.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is an effort to put together a group MTO by Monday, with the following specs:

Bob's Chili Heritage MTO

Bob's Chili/Dark Burnished Chili
Tone on tone stitching
Chili flat welt
Dark Brown welt stitch
Wheeling and fudging
Dainite outsole (possible leather midsole)
Independence insole and lining
Dark brown transparent edge dressing
$199 shipped CONUS -GMTO price

More details are available on the Allen Edmonds MTO thread. This would be a nice balmoral wingtip, for an unbeatable price. Check it out if you are interested.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the Philly AE store today to look around. I'm always reminded of how much better the shoes look in person and how god awful the photographs on AE's site are.

Looked at a pair of oxblood Daltons but decided the color is too purple for me. A Bob's Chili Dalton may be in my future.

I also rekindled my love affair with the brown Vernon. What a beautiful shoe on a great last.

Also, I was at the Ralph Lauren store in the city yesterday and although I already own a few of them, the AE made for RL shoes look so beautiful when they're brand new.

No pics, so I guess this post is mostly useless. But up until now the only time I've been able to browse different AE models in person was at a Nordstom Rack elsewhere. Seeing all these shoes together in person made me wish I was a billionaire.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
Goodbye, Park Aves... Hello, Harrisons...

7ogUCVPh.jpg

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I confess I don't understand all these sizing posts.

My personal opinion is that some people get a little obsessive over sizing and fit. I won't wear shoes that hurt, but otherwise not all of my shoes fit me the same way and I don't mind that a bit. I'll wear thicker or thinner socks depending; I'll also avoid certain shoes if I know I'll have to do a lot of walking that day. I also don't obsess over whether my shoes are creasing or rolling in the "right" places. It may be easier for me to have this attitude when my rotation is as big as it is.

Josh Savage

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a pair of Leeds in brown calf with a Vibram Gumlite
00ae.png
sole. It is supposed to pour tomorrow during church. As these are my only rain shoes, could I get away with pairing them with a light gray suit? I am currently polishing them using the shoe snob method. If I can get a shine on them, what do you think?

BTW, I am the minister, so I will be up in front of everyone.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of Leeds in brown calf with a Vibram Gumlite
00ae.png
sole. It is supposed to pour tomorrow during church. As these are my only rain shoes, could I get away with pairing them with a light gray suit? I am currently polishing them using the shoe snob method. If I can get a shine on them, what do you think? 

BTW, I am the minister, so I will be up in front of everyone.

I think you'll be fine.

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/pants/what-color-shoes-to-wear-with-what-color-pants/

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It isn't so much the color combo I'm worried about as the casual nature of Leeds with a suit. Are they too casual for formal attire?

Technically yes, but it's in dark brown smooth dress calf, which is way up there on the dressy scale. Plus, it's a plain toe dress shoe.

We obsess quite a bit about the "rules," but at the end of the day, the fornality of leather and simplicity of adornment (ie no broguing etc) will win out over the blucher vs bal conundrum.

Plus, you'll be wearing a robe, right?

Methinks thou wilst be fine.

Last edited:

iamelroberto

Reaction score
Question for you guys if you would be so kind. I have the following;

Park Ave. black
Strand. Walnut
Kenilworth. Bourbon
Lasalle. Chili
Dalton. Oxblood

I'm thinking of getting another pair and am thinking daltons in walnut but I already have the Dalton and a shoe in walnut. I'm wondering if this is the best solution if I want to expand on versatility. I'm not much into penny loafers or tassels. Thoughts? Thanks!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question for you guys if you would be so kind. I have the following;

Park Ave. black
Strand. Walnut
Kenilworth. Bourbon
Lasalle. Chili
Dalton. Oxblood

I'm thinking of getting another pair and am thinking daltons in walnut but I already have the Dalton and a shoe in walnut. I'm wondering if this is the best solution if I want to expand on versatility. I'm not much into penny loafers or tassels. Thoughts? Thanks!

I think you need a wingtip.
How about that chili Heritage design they're putting together as a group MTO? Check out the Allen Edmonds MTO thread if you're interested in a first-quality short-wing design for $199.

Josh Savage

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Technically yes, but it's in dark brown smooth dress calf, which is way up there on the dressy scale. Plus, it's a plain toe dress shoe.

We obsess quite a bit about the "rules," but at the end of the day, the fornality of leather and simplicity of adornment (ie no broguing etc) will win out over the blucher vs bal conundrum.

Plus, you'll be wearing a robe, right?

Methinks thou wilst be fine.

Ha! No robe, but they took a shine much better than I expected. Here is the finished product.

danwatts2005

Reaction score
If I had that collection and your preferences, I would add a McAllister. Chili would be good. I would also jump on that MTO mentioned above, if I didnt have a wingtip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads