• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubik1014

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on the Carlyle, or waiting to see if the Fifth Ave goes on sale during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale? I like the look of the Park Ave, but it seems a little too formal.

Would the McAllister in Bourbon be too similar to the walnut Strands?
My Oxblood Carlyles just arrived today. I have leaned toward stuff with more of a design element to it, and the sleek look of the Carlyle seemed like a good variety to me.

I also realized I like the black Warwicks because of the smooth, flat, shiny surface they provide...just when I thought I was "set" I'm realizing I'm developing a sleek shoe desire...what is wrong with me?

CMT1

Reaction score
@tradbrah sorry to hear it. I would definitely buy another pair.

It's always cool when something you have is immortalized in song, lol. I looked up that song. No one had an EPMD tape, so that's a group I totally missed.

Definitely one of my favorites from that era. So What Cha Sayin' is another of theirs - the only single released from the second album - that hit hard in 1989.

I'll stop now before we get too deep into the OG. :fistbump:

Al Dente

Reaction score
@tradbrah sorry to hear it. I would definitely buy another pair.
Definitely one of my favorites from that era. So What Cha Sayin' is another of theirs - the only single released from the second album - that hit hard in 1989.

I'll stop now before we get too deep into the OG.
fistbump.gif

Missed that song too, (which is too bad, because I would have liked them) but there are some chocolate brown Strands at the 1:45 mark in the video, no joke.

CMT1

Reaction score

Missed that song too, (which is too bad, because I would have liked them) but there are some chocolate brown Strands at the 1:45 mark in the video, no joke.

I am seriously sitting here laughing.

They really do look like Strands! Not even Stetsasonic had gear that fresh. :booya:

RR347

Reaction score

Significantly more casual. Very cool shoes, but not dress shoes. They come on rubber red or black Dainite soles, which are great. If your job is casual, then there's no need to go into a more formal dress shoe (although the McAllister is on the less-formal side of formal because it's a full brogue/wingtip). The Strandmok is also only partially lined on the inside, rather than fully lined. The Strandmok also has a split-reverse welt, which makes the shoe more casual.

The Tan Strandmok leather is more of a nubuck/suede-style leather, sort of like a "finished" napped leather. Smooth but doesn't really take a shine and shouldn't be polished. My personal favorite. Also quite casual because of the red Dainite sole.

The Brown Strandmok is "reverse" burnished - i.e. the toe and heel are lighter than the rest of the shoe. I think this looks incredibly weird, in person. The AE stock photos don't really show just how much lighter the heel and toe are. Don't buy this model without seeing it in person. Also very casual.

The Black Strandmok is a bit of a contradiction. On the one hand, it's black, which is a formal color. On the other hand, it has a split-reverse welt and "rough" black leather, which makes it very casual.

My opinion: if you want a solid casual shoe, look at the Strandmok in Tan, or the Clark Street (also $229) in Natural or Dark Brown Chromexcel leather. Both shoes will work with jeans or khakis, but neither will be appropriate with slacks or dress pants. If you want something a little more formal that you can wear with dress pants or slacks, or a suit, you should consider the McAllister or University (both $279). My personal favorite colors are Bob's Chili (also called Dark Chili), Bourbon, and Brown Burnished. Walnut is cool but can be hard to pull off, especially on the dressier end of the spectrum.

You should really try to go to an AE store to check out the models, if you can.

I went to a store and tried some McAllisters on. The Bourbon ones look gorgeous. Trouble was the fit. I have wide feet. I could go with my size in E width or a half size smaller in EEE. It's a bit tight around the sides in the former but my feet slip in the latter. How's the break-in for AE shoes?

They didn't have it in the store but their site offers EE width. It would be a bit of a gamble as I haven't actually tried them on but those are probably my best bet.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went to a store and tried some McAllisters on. The Bourbon ones look gorgeous. Trouble was the fit. I have wide feet. I could go with my size in E width or a half size smaller in EEE. It's a bit tight around the sides in the former but my feet slip in the latter. How's the break-in for AE shoes?

They didn't have it in the store but their site offers EE width. It would be a bit of a gamble as I haven't actually tried them on but those are probably my best bet.

They can order the EE into the store for you to try. I generally buy them on the snug side and they break in nicely.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the McAllister's in merlot since it's highly versatile, indicated by the aforementioned reasons. The Jeffersons are exquisite and they are a step-up in almost every way: JR-quality soles, softer leather, full-sock liner and lamb inner-lining. However, you can probably score them better than the $389 price point (I paid $325 for first quality) and second quality is below $200 based on the recent price of the Harrisons in the Shoebank.

Where are you getting those prices for firsts? Lowest I've seen is $349 during last year's anniversary sale, and full retail was $445 vs $495 now. I agree though, the Jefferson is so solid. For $389, probably a good price.

Re: Seconds pricing, the reason the Harrisons went for $177 was because they were close out, and had been for quite a while. I think they were at $189 and then they dropped than to $177. Before $189 they were holding at $227 I think. The Jeffersons aren't on close out, and while they might be in the future, they seem to be a pretty popular model and likely won't be. Below $299 for seconds Jeffersons hasn't been seen. I think they were at $299 during last year's anniversary sale.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where are you getting those prices for firsts? Lowest I've seen is $349 during last year's anniversary sale, and full retail was $445 vs $495 now. I agree though, the Jefferson is so solid. For $389, probably a good price. 

Re: Seconds pricing, the reason the Harrisons went for $177 was because they were close out, and had been for quite a while. I think they were at $189 and then they dropped than to $177. Before $189 they were holding at $227 I think. The Jeffersons aren't on close out, and while they might be in the future, they seem to be a pretty popular model and likely won't be. Below $299 for seconds Jeffersons hasn't been seen. I think they were at $299 during last year's anniversary sale. 

I got my (all-leather) black Jeffersons for $186 from Amazon when my size was on freakishly low clearance. I also stacked the 20% off show code. :)

harlequin782

Reaction score

My Oxblood Carlyles just arrived today. I have leaned toward stuff with more of a design element to it, and the sleek look of the Carlyle seemed like a good variety to me.

I also realized I like the black Warwicks because of the smooth, flat, shiny surface they provide...just when I thought I was "set" I'm realizing I'm developing a sleek shoe desire...what is wrong with me?

To be honest, i have concluded today that im probably done with the 65 last, the 1 last and other less sleek lasts..i feel like its time to step into AE's interpretation of the new millennium and merge with the modern look that everyone else is embracing...so im probably going with the 2, 8, & 333 lasts from now on.

Last edited:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my (all-leather) black Jeffersons for $186 from Amazon when my size was on freakishly low clearance. I also stacked the 20% off show code.
smile.gif
Ahh yes... Amazon. Although the freakishly low prices are hard to come by in standard widths. You're a 3E right?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be honest, i have concluded today that im probably done with the 65 last, the 1 last and other less sleek lasts..i feel like its time to step into AE's interpretation of the new millennium and merge with the modern look that everyone else is embracing...so im probably going with the 2, 8, & 333 lasts from now on.

Have you looked into Carmina? You might prefer their lasts. Same price as AE right now that the Euro's depressed.
Ahh yes... Amazon. Although the freakishly low prices are hard to come by in standard widths. You're a 3E right? 

Yes. And granted, it was the black one. I've not work it much. Maybe 4 times. Really nice shoe, though.

Jhnkago

Reaction score
I need some advice since I'm sort of new to buying shoes. My entry level shoe was the Johnston & Murphy, which makes my feet hurt really bad. I want to buy a black shoe for formal events. Right now there is a sale on the Carlyle. But there seems to be more hype/popularity around the Park Ave. It's not on sale right now though and I have no idea when/if it will be.

Since I can only buy 1 shoe, should I go with the Park Ave. or the Carlyle? There's no urgency right now, would just like to make the best decision and need some advice.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recent comments about AE at Burlington made me stop by to see what i could see... And ran across these suede Macneils - $139. Should I kop or release back into the wild?

Edit: or would a sand suede chukka or LWB from Frye ($84 or $79, respectively) be more versatile? I have nothing in sand suede BTW...

Kop those MacNeils!

Another warm but slightly damp Wednesday, a perfect day for the Kenwood. These were $125 seconds that I purchased with the plan to wear and beat them into dust, and I did not expect them to become the most comfortable loafer that I have ever owned. They have been worn through just about everything and their original light tan color has darkened, but despite showing a few stubborn water spots here and there they still look great.

New:

Now:

I guess my one regret is failing to also choose the Kenwood for my burgundy loafer, and instead going with the Walden because I liked its color better. I like the Walden, but they haven't broken in anywhere nearly as comfortably as the Kenwood.

I think the type of leather paltes apart on why the Walden didn't freak in as comfortably as the kenwood. If I'm not mistaken the burgundy walden does not use full grain leather. I think it uses polished burgundy leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads