• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjr4884

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a pair of McAllisters (to take advantage of the upcoing sale) and pair of Dalton seconds.
I can't make up my mind on the color of the McA's, as I am torn between merlot, brown and bourbon. I currently work in a business casula environment, wearing chinos or wool trousers, but that can change anytime, requiring that I wear a suit 5days/week. I like the merlot, but I am just not sure if I'd wear it with anything other than navy and charcoal/grey suit, let alone wearing with chinos, etc. I kind of like the bourbon color (however, I was reserving it for Mora's or Daltons). I don't have any shoes in this color and it seems that it will work well with bus. casual (i.e. chinos) and slightly lighter colored. suits.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Go with the Merlot. One of my favorite shoes, they are gorgeous in Merlot.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are def the snuff. The color variability on AE's snuff suede is high depending on the lighting, which is one of my favorite things about that color. Chocolate is consistently a flat, dark brown that I personally feel has little depth to it. Brogue is in between - I have both brogue and snuff and think they each have their place.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

Browsing the AE website, it appears that my second-hand Ashtons are recraftable.  The generic recrafting form also offers the option of changing the sole type.  Does anyone know if they can replace the rubber soles with leather?  Thanks in advance.

Yes, you'll see an option for that on the recrafting form. It's $10 extra.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

Anyone have pictures of Walnut Harrisons?  I've been searching the thread and have seen Rutledge, but not Harrison.  On shoebank the Rutledge looks nicely burnished, the Harrison looks plain walnut.  I'm really interested at the price point.  

I wear a suit everyday and burnished i think is ok, plain walnut is too loud for work.

Promontory Point in brown, Bleecker Street in Bob's Chili, Harrison in walnut

Harrison in walnut, Mora 2.0 in bourbon, Fifth Street in brown, Bleecker Street in Bob's Chili

A few notes:
- My Harrisons are a little darker than stock, having been cared for with mid tan shoe polish.
- AE website pictures are notoriously bad. I've seen the Rutledge picture you're referring to and it looks nothing like what I saw in the store.
- My Harrisons came with minimal (but not unnoticeable) burnishing. You can always accentuate it with some dark brown polish if that's your preference.
- I wear mine with suits but I live in San Diego and work in biotech. Based on your avatar, I take it you work at a law firm and your standards of dress are probably higher.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merlot or Brown. Btw, Merlot is more versatile than you may think. J
I really like the McAllisters in Merlot. While I can see it go very well with wool pants of varous colors, how flexible is it to dress down, like with chinos, and, perhaps, jeans? I am having hard time picturing it dressed down.

Last edited:

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what specials the Shoebank will be running during Anniversary Sale (including AE's, BB's, etc)?

freakersea

Reaction score
fresh off ebay, marked Birmingham look like they have only been worn a handful of times

Last edited:

pudman43

Reaction score
Yes Merlot is flexible, I'm wearing some older AE (can't remember name, I got them via ebay) Merlot wingtips today with light tan khakis. J

bbouchard87

Reaction score
New AE customer...bought the first pair two months ago after receiving black Hanovers as a gift. Current collection:
Hanover black
McAlister walnut
Flatiron bourbon (great shoe...no love on this thread)
Warwick oxblood

With the upcoming sale in mind...any thoughts on the next pair or two? I'm 27 and wear suit every day...but am known to wear a pair with dark jeans out as well. Thanks in advance for the input.

garland

Reaction score
New AE customer...bought the first pair two months ago after receiving black Hanovers as a gift. Current collection:
Hanover black
McAlister walnut
Warwick oxblood

With the upcoming sale in mind...any thoughts on the next pair or two? I'm 27 and wear suit every day...but am known to wear a pair with dark jeans out as well. Thanks in advance for the input.

I would do something in dark brown. Lexington or Carlyle. Or a Mcallister in Merlot. You've got a pretty good mix of brogued and clean styles, and good color mix as well. Another good option for you might be the Randolph in Chili.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
Hanover black
McAlister walnut
Warwick oxblood

Grayson in merlot and/or Strand in dark chili.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hanover black
McAlister walnut
Warwick oxblood

Since you wear suits often, I would go for a dark brown "balmoral" (closed-lace) shoe like the strand or a conservative "blucher" like the lexington. Try dark chili as well. Your flatiron and Warwick could go with jeans.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hanover black
McAlister walnut
Warwick oxblood

Take the plunge now: get something in shell cordovan. I'd go burgundy Grayson tassel loafers if you can get away with them at work, or burgundy or brown shell Strands if you can't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads