• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, love this boot. Looks a lot like a Redwing Beckman. No idea why they'd put a leather sole on such a piece of footwear. If the MTV waiver was still around I'd order a pair with a mini lug sole in Bob's Chili... Alas.
And... add 2 eyelets per side.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, since I won the recrafting from AE I am going to send in these Leeds and finally get the welt and soles changed.

Open to suggestions (also praying they follow the instructions to not refinish them)

Congrats on the win! And to @ryden also, he has helped me spend my money before too LOL, always money very well spent though.

The reason I sent my shell Patriots to B. Nelson for a resole is I called AE recrafting about putting a mid brown edge on them and the lady at recrafting said that they usually only put the same exact sole on. When I questioned her about the usually part and what would it take to get it done with what I wanted she acted a bit put off about it and said I could send them in and they would call me about it then but don't count on it happening. So I am very interested in how your experience turns out.

Fingers crossed that they will do it with what ever you end up wanting, and also that they don't refinish them on you! When I ordered my MTO brown shell Leeds I wanted a mid brown sole edge but they said they couldn't do it so I went with the natural. It is quite a bit different than other natural sole edges and not quite what I expected

I thought they would be more like the walnut shell Dundee's.

Good luck and hope it works out well for you.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

A friend of mine that I turned onto AE sent me this pic today of his new purchase . I really can't find a place for these on any scale of formality. A black captoe Balmoral with a suede upper? Plain silly to me.

I didn't have the heart to talk him out of it as he was giddy as a schoolgirl about them.

Agreed. You can't wear a black captoe casually, but the suede insert kinda kills it as a business-y suit shoe. The only conceivable use I could possibly think of would be with a dinner jacket or tuxedo, but I would think anyone who owns formal wear already has a black captoe. Are people who already own the PA or FA really going to buy the same model, just with suede, for the one or two times per year they attend a black tie function? If I want something a little different for my formal footwear, I'm going with velvet opera pumps or something like that. AE's design dept continues to churn out shoes that are either not versatile or just plain ugly.

Meanwhile, they don't offer a suede tassel loafer, suede monks, or a single monk on a wearable last.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the win! And to @ryden also, he has helped me spend my money before too LOL, always money very well spent though.

The reason I sent my shell Patriots to B. Nelson for a resole is I called AE recrafting about putting a mid brown edge on them and the lady at recrafting said that they usually only put the same exact sole on. When I questioned her about the usually part and what would it take to get it done with what I wanted she acted a bit put off about it and said I could send them in and they would call me about it then but don't count on it happening. So I am very interested in how your experience turns out.

Fingers crossed that they will do it with what ever you end up wanting, and also that they don't refinish them on you! When I ordered my MTO brown shell Leeds I wanted a mid brown sole edge but they said they couldn't do it so I went with the natural. It is quite a bit different than other natural sole edges and not quite what I expected

I thought they would be more like the walnut shell Dundee's.

Good luck and hope it works out well for you.

We shall see, so far they have told me I need to use the recrafting within 6 months. Being that my collection is all under a year old I have no need for it unless they give me the option to change the sole/welt/edge trim.

Just going to take my time with some email inquiries for now and see what they say. I have inquired before and was told swapping to Dainite and changing the egde/ welt color would not be a problem. My biggest concern is the quality control as I have seen many MTO and recrafts gone wrong on here with AE not following the specs.

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score

Agreed. You can't wear a black captoe casually, but the suede insert kinda kills it as a business-y suit shoe.

This guy's only other AE's are black Franciscans and Walnut McAllisters. He has holes in his wardrobe aplenty but continues to purchase 'niche' shoes. However, he loves them and has yet to ask my advice on purchases. I won't squelch his happiness by poo-pooing his decisions. I'm just glad that he no longer wears Kenneth Cole.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
When I dropped my Dundee's off for a warranty on the sole I asked abotu changing the welt and edge color and the retail SA said it wouldn't be a problem. Mainly wanted to do a flat welt. However it appears you can't go from a split to a flat because of the stitching it appears and wouldn't line up right. Didn't quite follow but I didn't press. The following orders part is probably a waiting game to see what happens.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy's only other AE's are black Franciscans and Walnut McAllisters. He has holes in his wardrobe aplenty but continues to purchase 'niche' shoes. However, he loves them and has yet to ask my advice on purchases. I won't squelch his happiness by poo-pooing his decisions. I'm just glad that he no longer wears Kenneth Cole.

This is exactly the type of customer I imagine the typical AE customer to be. I turned my co-worker onto AEs and he ended up going with both the Walnut Strands and Walnut Daltons and nothing else. Obviously he has holes, but like your friend, probably doesn't realize that they are holes and probably doesn't care too much about the rules of classic business dress. For AE, this is probably the reason why they keep releasing funky niche shoes each season since most of their new and growing customer base is turned on by flash.

rostov

Reaction score
Received the Mojaves today... They must be the same pair that @peppercorn78 returned. The toe-cap is busted and they're impossible to wear.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
^agreed

It also has something to do with the 'peacock' theory. Women tend to notice and comment on items men wear that stand out from the crowd, even if they are entirely dreadful in a sartorial sense.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^agreed

It also has something to do with the 'peacock' theory. Women tend to notice and comment on items men wear that stand out from the crowd, even if they are entirely dreadful in a sartorial sense.
Hey, now.
I get compliments on my Alden 4060 boots all the time.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Received the Mojaves today... They must be the same pair that @peppercorn78
 returned. The toe-cap is busted and they're impossible to wear.

:(

I would press to get the restock fee waived if I were you. Say you're friends with the last owner, and he was told the shoes shouldn't have been in circulation.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We shall see, so far they have told me I need to use the recrafting within 6 months. Being that my collection is all under a year old I have no need for it unless they give me the option to change the sole/welt/edge trim.

Just going to take my time with some email inquiries for now and see what they say. I have inquired before and was told swapping to Dainite and changing the egde/ welt color would not be a problem. My biggest concern is the quality control as I have seen many MTO and recrafts gone wrong on here with AE not following the specs.

It depends on whom you reach. I spoke to a rep on the phone about changing the welt color of my MacNeil from black to toasted and she said not possible. But then I emailed them, and was told yes, it was.

I mailed the shoes in and then got a voicemail saying that they couldn't change the color and what did I mean by "Junior soles."

I didn't call back and two days later, someone different called me saying they would change the color no problem and did I mean "JR" soles.

So it depends on whom you can get to service you, I would say.

They ended up doing a great job on mine, as you've seen. :)

rostov

Reaction score
^agreed

I find this topic interesting because I'm probably somewhere in the middle of this range. I'm in my 30's, work in tech, and more importantly: work at home. I avoid many of AE's traditional offerings because they don't make sense for my lifestyle. The fact I even own a suit, let alone 3 semi-bespoke suits, surprises people considering I only ever wear them to weddings and funerals.

The reason I buy AE over any other brand is not because of their quality, workmanship, or customer service. It's because they shoes sell in EEE sizes that look nice and can be dressed down. I'm the guy that won't ever buy Shell Cordovan unless it's offered in Cigar, Whiskey, or Walnut because I won't wear black shell with my jeans.

I wear denim, chinos, and shorts. I buy my shoes accordingly. By some measure, I may have major gaps in my shoe wardrobe, but I don't have a need for Merlot or Burgundy shoes in my life. I'd rather spend the money on something odd like the Banchory, or more conservatively buy something in Bourbon that can be dressed-down.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Chemex today! What is your perfected technique?

(sorry to hijack the thread, feel free to answer with a PM... Or not answer at all if it's topsecret)

PM sent with my method and the precise link sent also for the exact instructions...either method is much more complicated to write about than execute.

BobbyHill

Reaction score
UPDATE: I just received my first Allen Edmonds ever from the shoe bank(seconds), and I have to say, I can't find much of anything wrong with them! I guess I was super nervous for nothing :) Only thing is, since i'm Canadian, I got raped by customs with duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members