• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe I'm just misreading it, but the 2014 spring catalog seems to suggest that cordovan shoes will be MTO from this point on (see pp. 18-20):

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/AECatalogView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

Pretty much every catalog number has an "MTO" attached to it.

My SA told me AE will only make cordovan shoes on demand now. Meaning in store stock will be extremely low from now on, but if you want to see a cordovan shoe in your size, you will have to wait for AE to make them. That is all, no MTO charge or anything extra...

Last edited:

luv2breformed

Reaction score
The versatility of brown. Bourbon Mora 2.0

Brown is the most versatile shoe color, period. Arguably here, in a derby or monkstrap styling, you have the most versatile shoe there is. Here I chose the shoes last of all the items. Going with trusty mid brown monk was a simple decision, I'll tell you why.

It's spring. I want to dress a bit more colorful and yet maintain a clean and sharp look. The jacket is in a significantly lighter shade of blue than the standard navy. As we have discussed before silk knits are home run casual spring/summer ties. Here I chose one that would pick up on the overcheck of the jacket. Navy would have been a great choice as well. Light blue shirt is standard. I chose a square that picked up the colors in the rest of the outfit without looking "matchy".

Next to the pants and this is where things get interesting. I feel light light gray pants would not contrast well with the jacket. Additionally, the tie is too severe (dark) for them. However the darker the pants the more we lose the spring/summer vibe. Mid gray is the perfect compromise.

This presents us with a shoe problem. It's spring/summer, tan/walnut is the color of the season. However it contrasts too much with the pants and tie. Dark brown is not s/s enough and too "business" for such fun pieces. Enter: mid brown in mid style. Bourbon monkstrap. It's not so much of a statement shoe as walnut, and doesn't draw near the attention. It is perfect for those times you've got other interesting pieces and bright shoes would just be a bit much. Further, dress it up or down. Monks can go tieless, they can do a casual suit. Dark pants? Mid brown will look fine. Light pants? Likewise. You can put this shoe in nearly any outfit and it will look pretty darn good. Further there will be times (like here), where it is nearly the only option.

Bourbon, Mora 2.0/Delray. Get yours TODAY.

BWV988

Reaction score
My SA told me AE will only make cordovan shoes on demand now. Meaning in store stock will be extremely low from now on, but if you want to see a cordovan shoe in your size, you will have to wait for AE to make them. That is all, no MTO charge for anything extra...

Thanks for the confirmation on that.

helius0

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just misreading it, but the 2014 spring catalog seems to suggest that cordovan shoes will be MTO from this point on (see pp. 18-20):

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/AECatalogView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

Pretty much every catalog number has an "MTO" attached to it.

I could've sworn they said something about doing this "shells are only MTO" thing a year or two ago.

Anyone else remember that? Or have I just inhaled too much of the new shoe vapours?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I could've sworn they said something about doing this "shells are only MTO" thing a year or two ago.

Anyone else remember that?  Or have I just inhaled too much of the new shoe vapours?

They have been MTO now for a while yes. Probably about a year. They do seem to have some sitting around, but I am not sure if that is just old stock or if they do an occasional run of them.

-Mike

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shell has been MTO for the better part of a year at least. All orders in store and online say 8 week lead time. That is basically MTO

BWV988

Reaction score

Anyone else remember that? Or have I just inhaled too much of the new shoe vapours?
They have been MTO now for a while yes. Probably about a year. They do seem to have some sitting around, but I am not sure if that is just old stock or if they do an occasional run of them.

-Mike
Shell has been MTO for the better part of a year at least. All orders in store and online say 8 week lead time. That is basically MTO

Thank you. Looks like I need to follow this thread a little better.

zennypoo

Reaction score
Excellent post with great pictures luv2breformed, I've always enjoyed your sartorial comments and tips on this thread. Great to see an entire outfit with the finer points explained, please keep them coming! -D
Brown is the most versatile shoe color, period. Arguably here, in a derby or monkstrap styling, you have the most versatile shoe there is. Here I chose the shoes last of all the items. Going with trusty mid brown monk was a simple decision, I'll tell you why. It's spring. I want to dress a bit more colorful and yet maintain a clean and sharp look. The jacket is in a significantly lighter shade of blue than the standard navy. As we have discussed before silk knits are home run casual spring/summer ties. Here I chose one that would pick up on the overcheck of the jacket. Navy would have been a great choice as well. Light blue shirt is standard. I chose a square that picked up the colors in the rest of the outfit without looking "matchy". Next to the pants and this is where things get interesting. I feel light light gray pants would not contrast well with the jacket. Additionally, the tie is too severe (dark) for them. However the darker the pants the more we lose the spring/summer vibe. Mid gray is the perfect compromise. This presents us with a shoe problem. It's spring/summer, tan/walnut is the color of the season. However it contrasts too much with the pants and tie. Dark brown is not s/s enough and too "business" for such fun pieces. Enter: mid brown in mid style. Bourbon monkstrap. It's not so much of a statement shoe as walnut, and doesn't draw near the attention. It is perfect for those times you've got other interesting pieces and bright shoes would just be a bit much. Further, dress it up or down. Monks can go tieless, they can do a casual suit. Dark pants? Mid brown will look fine. Light pants? Likewise. You can put this shoe in nearly any outfit and it will look pretty darn good. Further there will be times (like here), where it is nearly the only option. Bourbon, Mora 2.0/Delray. Get yours TODAY.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brown is the most versatile shoe color, period. Arguably here, in a derby or monkstrap styling, you have the most versatile shoe there is. Here I chose the shoes last of all the items. Going with trusty mid brown monk was a simple decision, I'll tell you why. It's spring. I want to dress a bit more colorful and yet maintain a clean and sharp look. The jacket is in a significantly lighter shade of blue than the standard navy. As we have discussed before silk knits are home run casual spring/summer ties. Here I chose one that would pick up on the overcheck of the jacket. Navy would have been a great choice as well. Light blue shirt is standard. I chose a square that picked up the colors in the rest of the outfit without looking "matchy". Next to the pants and this is where things get interesting. I feel light light gray pants would not contrast well with the jacket. Additionally, the tie is too severe (dark) for them. However the darker the pants the more we lose the spring/summer vibe. Mid gray is the perfect compromise. This presents us with a shoe problem. It's spring/summer, tan/walnut is the color of the season. However it contrasts too much with the pants and tie. Dark brown is not s/s enough and too "business" for such fun pieces. Enter: mid brown in mid style. Bourbon monkstrap. It's not so much of a statement shoe as walnut, and doesn't draw near the attention. It is perfect for those times you've got other interesting pieces and bright shoes would just be a bit much. Further, dress it up or down. Monks can go tieless, they can do a casual suit. Dark pants? Mid brown will look fine. Light pants? Likewise. You can put this shoe in nearly any outfit and it will look pretty darn good. Further there will be times (like here), where it is nearly the only option. Bourbon, Mora 2.0/Delray. Get yours TODAY.
Excellent outfit and explanation. I learned a fair bit reading it. Understood why a belt is not needed, both for those trousers and for the informality of the season, but I think my eye still wants to see one in this ensemble for some reason. Maybe it has to do with the buckle motif with the shoes. But anyway, many compliments!

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Looking good! I think I need to get a similar jacket one of these days. I agree that bourbon Mora 2.0's work well here. If I was wearing a similar outfit, I think I'd try my navy single monks to see how it looks. Probably doesn't work better than bourbon, but I try to work my navy monks in every chance I get.:D

luv2breformed

Reaction score
Excellent post with great pictures luv2breformed, I've always enjoyed your sartorial comments and tips on this thread. Great to see an entire outfit with the finer points explained, please keep them coming!

-D

Thanks for the encouragement! Will do.

Excellent outfit and explanation. I learned a fair bit reading it.

Understood why a belt is not needed, both for those trousers and for the informality of the season, but I think my eye still wants to see one in this ensemble for some reason. Maybe it has to do with the buckle motif with the shoes.

But anyway, many compliments!

You know, I really like matching belt and shoes like 95% of the time. I just looks nice and clean. I actually would have preferred it here as well, except these pants don't have belt loops! They're side tab adjustable only. If I had them made up I would definitely have thrown belt loops on them and matched the belt here. I'm with you!

[/SPOILER]

Looking good! I think I need to get a similar jacket one of these days. I agree that bourbon Mora 2.0's work well here. If I was wearing a similar outfit, I think I'd try my navy single monks to see how it looks. Probably doesn't work better than bourbon, but I try to work my navy monks in every chance I get.
biggrin.gif

You know, I struggle with navy, but this is the PERFECT application for them. They are decidedly s/s, they don't contrast too much with the pants as they are already a bit dark to begin with. Good eye! I don't have any navy shoes yet, but you are making want to get some!
smile.gif

Last edited:

RevisIsland

Reaction score

Quick sizing question,

How do you guys size the 7 last vs 5 last , looking at getting a pair of PA from the JAB deal , I wear 10E in the 5 last.

Thanks.

I looked into this and learned that the 7 runs a bit wider, almost one size in width. So I would think you should be a 10D. If you find your 5 last 10E's to be a very snug fit, i may stick with that size rather than sizing down.

I wear 11.5C and ordered 11.5B. I'm hoping they work for me.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/SPOILER]

Looking good! I think I need to get a similar jacket one of these days. I agree that bourbon Mora 2.0's work well here. If I was wearing a similar outfit, I think I'd try my navy single monks to see how it looks. Probably doesn't work better than bourbon, but I try to work my navy monks in every chance I get.
biggrin.gif

I like the color and the pattern on the jacket, but its three button hard roll configuration is really throwing off the fit to my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads