• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last Friday I bought a pair of grey black hills @ AE store for $ 149. Saturday found out Amazon has them for $ 99. Email AE CS and the response was they don't monitor amazon and they don't match prices, and they are not first quality

I'm not surprised that AE won't price-match Amazon - in fact I'm not sure AE price-matches anybody. Can you just return the ones you bought last week?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, contrary to what I said a few pages ago, my first Allison MTO turned out to be not a brown shell Leeds but instead a brown shell MacNeil. My rationale is, (1) after resisting them for a long time, I've decided I'm totally into LWBs; and (2) my brown shell Norwiches are plain toe and can therefore serve as a proxy of sorts for the Leeds.

I'll post the specs as soon as Allison emails them to me, but basically I'm going with exactly what their off-the-rack MacNeil would be if they sold it in brown shell, if that makes any sense. They will have the regular lining and leather insole because the 9 E in the 7 last fits me like a dream and I don't want to do anything that might wonk that up. However, I'm open to any other suggestions people might make as to how the makeup could be improved, preferably with illustrative pics. (Of course, they will have the JR outsole.)

On another note, Allison gave me a tip that I'm not sure others here are using: If when you call her you get the recording, just press 2 and someone will page her for you. I had no trouble at all getting her on the phone that way.

Has it been 8-10 weeks yet?

chris45

Reaction score
I felt very guilty today . . . some may recall a discussion in the thread a couple of weeks ago where two of us received what purported to be brown shell Dundees but were burgundy shell instead. I just got around to returning mine to the New Orleans AE store, and I won't be re-ordering them because in the meantime I had found truffle (cappuccino) shells. Maybe this is silly of me but I hate taking a commission out of my go-to local guy's pocket. OTOH, I do give him my business when I buy other non-custom firsts, which I do do from time to time . . . .
Not silly at all... I'm usually the kind of guy to always pick their local establishments to help support them (especially when commission based); however, I have been doing pretty much all my orders via the Shoe Bank.

I have gone into the New Orleans store a couple times, and while I got some help, it could have been better... granted I look a bit out of place compared to the others guys since I'm younger; but that doesn't mean to overlook me and not give me the same service. I was hoping my first time in the store to get sized would be a bit more informative/helpful than it truly was... in their defense, it did get pretty hectic when I was in there, but I got pushed to the side (despite being in there before everyone else). On that trip, I ended up getting sold a display model at first quality price .. I didn't notice it was the display model until I got home (and should have been sold at seconds price).

My second experience at the NOLA store was much better -- I went in to return the 'display model' from first visit and also went to get fit on a different last. During the return process, I was asked if I wanted to go ahead and place an order for the shoes I returned... I made the mistake and mentioned I had picked up the same shoe via Shoe Bank (seconds) and got in trouble for ordering through Port Washington instead of NOLA (and taking money out of their pocket, as was described)
uhoh.gif

I haven't given up on the NOLA store but will definitely be reserving it for non-custom firsts, belts/misc items, etc. -- especially since it is an hour away.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

So, contrary to what I said a few pages ago, my first Allison MTO turned out to be not a brown shell Leeds but instead a brown shell MacNeil.  My rationale is, (1) after resisting them for a long time, I've decided I'm totally into LWBs; and (2) my brown shell Norwiches are plain toe and can therefore serve as a proxy of sorts for the Leeds.

I'll post the specs as soon as Allison emails them to me, but basically I'm going with exactly what their off-the-rack MacNeil would be if they sold it in brown shell, if that makes any sense. They will have the regular lining and leather insole because the 9 E in the 7 last fits me like a dream and I don't want to do anything that might wonk that up. However, I'm open to any other suggestions people might make as to how the makeup could be improved, preferably with illustrative pics.  (Of course, they will have the JR outsole.)

On another note, Allison gave me a tip that I'm not sure others here are using:  If when you call her you get the recording, just press 2 and someone will page her for you.  I had no trouble at all getting her on the phone that way.

Has it been 8-10 weeks yet?

I love LWBs also...

Probably too much.

I hope that yours turn out awesome. How dark of edging are you going with?

-Mike

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried on the Banchory's today in light tan. Fought the urge to pick them up. They were very comfortable and the uppers were super soft leather. You could feel a little cap support, though. The leather softness felt like the Neumoks, which I own. Also, I generally wear a 9.5D but the 10ds fit me like a glove. I decided against them b/c:

-light colored leather is kinda offputting to me.
-I already own the neumoks, which are casualish and unlined.
-I also own the macneils and the RL sandersons (longwings), which can work casually as well.

If they came in a darker shade of brown, I would have pounced. I thought about darkening them with obenaufs (?) but was wary of any bleeding that would transfer onto socks. It was hard walking away, though.

Vidal

Reaction score
Guess I could, but I don't want to go to the trouble of going to the store and then place another order. I guess I'll just keep them

Real nice and comfortable by the way

jd13jd13

Reaction score

No, they won't make custom lasts.  Whatever their smallest size in any given last is, that will be the smallest they will make.

Well, there are shoes in the 5 last that are made in 6D (for example the Park Avenue), but not all shoes on the 5 last (for example, the McTavish) are made in 6D. I was wondering more along the lines if they would adjust the pattern to fit a smaller size on the same last for a shoe not normally made that small.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I really need to jump on a MTO for something now that they have the new CXL offerings. A MacNeil in the golden brown would be amazing.

Is golden brown the same as brown CXL with a marketing twist to the name? Or is it a different color?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess I could, but I don't want to go to the trouble of going to the store and then place another order. I guess I'll just keep them

Real nice and comfortable by the way

Definitely. A pair of black Black Hills was one of my early AE pickups and they have served me well.

Subutai

Reaction score
Is golden brown the same as brown CXL with a marketing twist to the name? Or is it a different color?
I had Allison sent me samples because I had the same question. Golden brown is a bit lighter, but not much.

Definitely interested in seeing your MTO, what are the specs?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads