• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is as good a time as any to quit lurking and make a post.

Just pulled the trigger on some shell Leeds and MacNeils, you enabling sonsabitches.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

One of us! One of us!
fistbump.gif

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@halfnhalfnhalf you know I've been on standby for a grey Long Branch -- how do you personally like that color in comparison to your current pair, even considering you haven't seen that particular shade of grey in person?

Aye, there's the rub. No way to tell without seeing them side-by-side. I say order both and keep the one you like better.

chris45

Reaction score
Aye, there's the rub. No way to tell without seeing them side-by-side. I say order both and keep the one you like better.
I had a feeling you were going to say get them both
fistbump.gif

I sent you a PM on size advice -- maybe you can shed some light there for me
decisions.gif

Since everyone here is so damn helpful and all part 'enablers', I want to say THANK YOU -- and if anyone needs IT/computer/electronic related help/advice/etc.. don't hesitate to ask... at least I can help others there!

WICaniac

Reaction score
Still so tempted to do a shaker heights mto in blackkkkk!

So does AE, albeit not on their website. The pair Allison sent me to size my MTOs are black. If you call her to have a pair made in black, you might just find that they have a pair in stock (they'll have 11.5Es once I send mine back, at least).

For the silent few of you who, like me, prefer to wear lightweight boot socks with boots (especially in winter) and are perhaps considering a Shaker Heights MTO: I find a half size up is perfect. I wear an 11E in all AE lasts that fit me, and I'm having these done in 11.5E.

I, too, suspected that the days of clearance prices for MTOs were numbered. My wife thought it was too good to be true; unfortunately, AE agreed. (BTW, I don't begrudge a corporate spy for lurking in this forum and taking notes--I do wish we had all been a little more circumspect in our postings. Loose lips sink ships--and unbelievable deals).

Last edited:

WICaniac

Reaction score
New store in DC. Just received this:

Dear Mr. XXXX [Wonderful],
Thank you for being an Allen Edmonds loyal customer. I want to let you know that we have a new store in Washington DC City center and we would like you to pay us a visit. Moreover, We have a great promotion for our new store opening, you get free belt of your choice with the purchase of any welted full price shoes.Should you ever desire to be fitted by one of our Master Fitters or simply want to see a product in person before purchasing, we are here to help you. We carry a wide selection of styles in our store and a number of the accessories that you see online.
Thank you again for your support of Allen Edmonds and know that we are here to help you with any needs you may have.

Best regards,

Alex Elsakhawi
Allen Edmonds - Citycenterdc
1071 H Street Nw
Washington Dc District Of Columbia 20001
Telephone: 202-842-5163
E-mail: [email protected]

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, too, suspected that the days of clearance prices for MTOs were numbered. My wife thought it was too good to be true; unfortunately, AE agreed. (BTW, I don't begrudge a corporate spy for lurking in this forum and taking notes--I do wish we had all been a little more circumspect in our postings. Loose lips sink ships--and unbelievable deals).

I've been thinking for a while that the entire "Allison system"'s days are numbered. Whatever benefit AE has been getting from it is I'm sure being outweighed by the burdens. I also can't help but think that other SAs (many of whom know about the arrangement) are none-too-pleased about losing out on business (i.e., commissions).

I've thought a lot about various MTOs but have never actually pulled the trigger on any of them. I really want a pair of Leeds in brown shell and unless they offer it very soon as a WebGem or something that will probably be my first Allison order. I'm prepared for it to be my last.

chris45

Reaction score
@halfnhalfnhalf Currently have the regular grey's LB (6061) on the way from a different warehouse so they weren't able to personally inspect (but they haven't been tried on as with my other seconds)... so I'm hoping I get good luck with the seconds LB as I have with all my others.

Damn ENABLERS! =]

AIK1891

Reaction score

I've been thinking for a while that the entire "Allison system"'s days are numbered.  Whatever benefit AE has been getting from it is I'm sure being outweighed by the burdens.  I also can't help but think that other SAs (many of whom know about the arrangement) are none-too-pleased about losing out on business (i.e., commissions).

I've thought a lot about various MTOs but have never actually pulled the trigger on any of them.  I really want a pair of Leeds in brown shell and unless they offer it very soon as a WebGem or something that will probably be my first Allison order.  I'm prepared for it to be my last.

I am not so terribly distressed about not being able to MTO at deep discounts; most of the flippant ideas I brainstorm in any given week are stimulated by the potential low prices and not really needs. The full-price orders I have in the works are long-term staples, hence my willingness to pay the full price. If anything, the deep discounts would spur me to make purchases I otherwise wouldn't.

I wouldn't even be bothered by ordering through a store. My biggest priority is accommodating my particular fit requirements in desired footwear. So for me that can often mean it's necessary to special order because, e.g. I'm looking for a merlot and a shoe that fits me is only offered in black, while the many merlot shoes are in lasts that cause me pain, so I MTO the model that fits in the non-stock merlot color. And, admittedly, there are sometimes style choices like the above-mentioned sole dislikes.

A waiver of the custom fee is significant for me though as it at least makes up for some of the frustration in having to go the custom route in order to find something that I can wear and enjoy. If that waiver/discount went away my efforts would probably then go into just picking and choosing clearance items while finding a different company for most of my needs as only a small niche of stock AEs can meet my purposes no matter how much I might like them (note: I'm ordering the all-brown Strawfuts today at the clearance price. I already have the black, and they suit a purpose for use in the hot southwest Fla. summers. They will be the only 5-65 last dress shoes I will own, as they do cause me nerve pain. The vast 5-65 offerings, model/color options etc., compared to fewer options in other lasts is a great frustration for me ... MTO placates that frustration greatly for me).

LeviMay

Reaction score
I agree that the waiving of the MTO fee was pretty generous to begin with. I also think that being able to customize - no medallion, different sole, and so on - is a huge perk as well.

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but can a shoe simply be made on a different last? Could I order a Strand on the 1-511, for example?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree that the waiving of the MTO fee was pretty generous to begin with. I also think that being able to customize - no medallion, different sole, and so on - is a huge perk as well.

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but can a shoe simply be made on a different last? Could I order a Strand on the 1-511, for example?

I've been told by Allison that this is not possible in most cases due to patterns only fitting the last they're designed for. Once you start talking about new patterns getting drawn up for a custom order, you're getting into bespoke territory.

I do believe, though that in some isolated cases (such as one forum member getting a McNeil on the 5 last), it may be possible, but I think that's mostly do to a discontinued model's pattern being easily modified. In this case, there had been a defunct LWB on the 5 last.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Brooks Brothers Park Ave's in Brown just came in today from the bank. I thoroughly reviewed them to look for any defects and I simply cannot find anything. I know PAs sometimes get lambasted for being too conservative or not interesting enough, but these shoes are remarkably elegant in person, especially in this color. I couldn't be more thrilled for the 149$ I paid.

On a side note, I also ordered 3 pairs of shoe trees from the SB because the SA offered them to me for about 15$ each. The recommended size for 11.5E (my size) is XL in the shoe tree; it is a "borderline size." However, they sent me 3 pairs in L. I put them in my shoes and they fit perfectly. I can't imagine why I would need XL for this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads