• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIK1891

Reaction score

what do you guys think about the new shreveport woven shoe?

I own the New Orleans in walnut (not interested in the shreveport) and I love the fact that the woven part is impervious to creasing after several months of wear.

What do you guys think of the woven styles?

Right now the New Orleans (in black) is the only cap-toe in my growing collection (my other black ones are Strawfut and Cordovan Dalton). I'm pleased with how the woven part behind the cap has resisted creasing, and I have received a number of complements on them from the natives around my south Fla. law school. All other things being equal, I might give a nod to the Shreveport over the New Orleans on the grounds of "if you're going to wear a partially woven shoe, then the more woven area the better."

In the right budgetary environment I could maybe go for a walnut Shreveport down the road. But I'm more likely right now though to expand my black dress shoe options for wear with suits (I can't wear 5-last dress shoes because of neuroma from too many years of wide feet in hockey skates, so most of the mainstay AE dress shoes are off limits to me) ... I think my limited funds will be better on a black leather/suede Mora MTO. :)

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE polish in a tube can take up some space.  I have all my shoe care in a shoe box and it's getting full pretty quickly.  With that said, you can get the brown polish from kiwi or meltonian in a can/jar.  It's a bit cheaper and doesn't take up too much space.  I don't think anyone from this forum will agree with you on using walnut polish on dark brown shoes, you'll ruin nice shoes that you work hard for.  Plus, who knows, they may ban you from this forum for doing so :D

Thanks for all the replies guys. The issue isn't buying the extra polish, but having to also buy and lug around another brush. Is it safe to use the same brush with two different polishes, or is that risking turning my walnut strands darker?

WICaniac

Reaction score

Thanks for all the replies guys. The issue isn't buying the extra polish, but having to also buy and lug around another brush. Is it safe to use the same brush with two different polishes, or is that risking turning my walnut strands darker?

You're supposed to use a different brush for every color, but I've been using one for my black boots with carnuba wax polish and another for all browns / burgundies and my black cordovans. I'm sure someone here will accuse me of committing a cardinal sin, but I've had good results (and with $8 Kiwi brushes to boot).

Owlbass

Reaction score
I wanted to share this information, a couple of years ago AE donated patent leather shoes to all the men in the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra. I searched for it in the thread but couldn't find anything. It's just another great reason why I should buy from AE. Professional orchestras need all the help they can get these days.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
My local cobbler noticed that I was buying more than one brush and he told me it was completely unnecessary. He said that he uses one brush for all of his shoes. I bought the two brushes anyways, I have one for light browns, and one for dark brown and black shoes. I don't currently own any burgundy but I suspect that if I did I would probably buy another brush (and my cobbler will probably look at me like I've got an extra head growing out of my neck like he did last time).

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Please make a note to never ask this cobbler to shine your shoes for you.
lol... Yeah, I suppose he could be right, or maybe he just doesn't own nice shoes. I don't know, I've never used him to repair anything, I just get my shoe care stuff from his place. I just don't see how using a brush with black polish on it couldn't effect a walnut shoe...

I once asked him what he would use to condition/clean shoes and he said polish is good enough
crazy.gif

Part of me thinks that if I asked him about goodyear welting he'd tell me they don't sell tires.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Anyone know how much seconds for cordovan dalton's are going for with the seconds sale? I emailed and called the shoebank but haven't been able to get an answer.

Pretty sure they're $299. Just call them. They're swamped by us weirdos sending them emails (me included).

esk8mw

Reaction score
Agree wholeheartedly. Thy shalt not use one brush for all thy shoes to avoid the color transfer from one pair to the other.
For what it's worth, I use one brush for all my shoes and have not noticed one iota of color transfer or other ill effects. All calf shoes; colors: black, brown, chocolate, bourbon, merlot, light brown, cognac; products: AE cleaner/conditioner, AE premium shoe polish in all the aforementioned colors, light brown AE shoe cream and caranuba wax polish in brown, black, burgundy and neutral. I try to use different sections of my polishing cloth for each color but that's it.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
I popped my shell cherry today...
wow.gif

Burgundy Cambridges; if it's as transformative an experience as I've been reading it is (or can be), I am ready.

Now... to read up on the Mac Method. (tips or tricks outside of Mac would be happily received, however!)

Of course, i'll be scouring the past posts for more info on care... VSC already on hand to greet them; got AE cordo cream for extra measure. I heard they are in good shape, so I am eager to see/feel in person.

Any owners of the Cambridge have thoughts to share on it? Very few reviews on the AE site - wondering if that's a sign.

supernsx

Reaction score
Just want to show the difference between the Russet Brown Krause Boots (size 9) and the 721 LTD Boots (size 8.5) side by side. The Krause is much softer but the shell looks really nice.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just want to show the difference between the Russet Brown Krause Boots (size 9) and the 721 LTD Boots (size 8.5) side by side. The Krause is much softer but the shell looks really nice.

Are those the 721s that just went on the 'bay?
Yes the 721s should be very nice and soft once you wear them, break them in, and brush them as required.
The Krause was something I had thought about a few times, but I couldn't bring myself to it.
I always felt that the Krause was a bit overpriced for what you are getting compared to other Wolverine 1Ks.
It isn't that it is too expensive in general. Just overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads