• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since new... I posted a pic of it a while back

Ahh, I see that now. So they were like that when you bought them, but you decided it was something you could live with I guess? It sounds like most (or all) of the cases have been present when the shoes are new. Hopefully then, it is safe to assume that if the shoe fits properly when purchased it won't develop bowing as long as it is properly maintained with shoe trees, etc. I was developing a fear that I would wake up one morning to find my shoes bowing for no apparent reason.
patch[1].gif

jns425

Reaction score
Agree. There seems to be a serious case of "Park Avenue bowing" going on here (it seems be happening often enough to have a name patented after it), which is a separate issue from the other fit problems described. Has this just been going on with the Park Avenue? There doesn't seem to be much mention of this with other 5-lasted balmorals (like the Fifth Avenue). I will say, while this problem keeps popping up, it has me nervous to buy any 5-lasted balmorals for myself.

I had the Kenilworth (on the 5 last) and they were bowing terribly. I took it back to the store and it turns out I was sold the wrong size. The more experienced salesperson told me I needed to go down half a size (but keep the same width).

Is it possible that those who have bowing have the wrong width/size? Once I got my correct size the bowing went away. One of the things about AE which is good (but at the same time - more complicated) is that a shoe like the Park Avenue had so many width options. Good in that you can find your correct size, but bad in the sense that it might take a while to find the correct size (and there is more of a chance of getting the incorrect size).

TheSizzle

Reaction score
I had the Kenilworth (on the 5 last) and they were bowing terribly. I took it back to the store and it turns out I was sold the wrong size. The more experienced salesperson told me I needed to go down half a size (but keep the same width).

Is it possible that those who have bowing have the wrong width/size? Once I got my correct size the bowing went away. One of the things about AE which is good (but at the same time - more complicated) is that a shoe like the Park Avenue had so many width options. Good in that you can find your correct size, but bad in the sense that it might take a while to find the correct size (and there is more of a chance of getting the incorrect size).

I've never had issues with bowing, but the wrong size would explain it, I guess.

Oh, I should include a picture (a crummy one though) for the sake of the thread. Well, the bourbon Strands arrived a little late for me to wear them today, but that doesn't mean I won't wear Strands!

Last edited:

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
With the Fifth Street on the discontinued/close-out list, is there any word on a new balmoral boot coming down the pike?

poena

Reaction score
As for my Strands I started off trying a 9 and 8.5 and then 8.

I ended up with a 8eee as it had the least bowing and the most comfortable if not a tad roomy in the toe box area. I really don't know which way to size to get rid of the bowing. I returned a pair of Park Ave's because of this and just received a pair of Clifton's and they still bow too.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, something screwy with sizing probably is to blame for the most part, but some have said that they tried numerous length/width combos and still had the problem. Of course, then one could argue that the 5-last just isn't good for their foot. Who knows. I'm not trying to over analyze it, I just wanted to know if I should look out for bowing on my shoes that currently look fine, or if they were bought that way. Frankly, I wouldn't buy a shoe that is already bowing from day one. All of mine look fine, so hopefully I've dodged the bullet.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the Fifth Street on the discontinued/close-out list, is there any word on a new balmoral boot coming down the pike?

I haven't heard. I am eager to see what the Spring 2013 collection will be comprised of. They have cleared out/discontinued alot of shoes in the last several months, so hopefully they have some awsome new options coming!

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for my Strands I started off trying a 9 and 8.5 and then 8.

I ended up with a 8eee as it had the least bowing and the most comfortable if not a tad roomy in the toe box area. I really don't know which way to size to get rid of the bowing. I returned a pair of Park Ave's because of this and just received a pair of Clifton's and they still bow too.

Case in point (see my post above).

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the crummy picture, but the Fedex man just showed up with my new bourbon Strands.

Fantastic looking. Damn it you are going to cost me some money if you keep posting pictures like that....

I bought a pair of Park Avenues last week and used them for a convention for a week. I used AE's print out guide to gauge my sizing and went with a 7.5D.
They were tight. If i wore thin socks, they were bearable but if the socks were a little thicker, my right pinkie toe would hurt as well as the midsole. The uppers have stretched out as below (this looks extremely unnatural to me)- is this a terribly sized shoe for me? Length actually seems right but width is too narrow.

I am going to have to go to the Alden store but any opinions would be appreciated.

I have put them up on eBay to anyone who is interested. Will having stretched the uppers like this destroy the resale value of the shoe?

If you call AE customer service they will have you send those in and I'd bet that QA will say they are "out of specifications and can not be repaired" and allow you a new pair in exchange.

I tried every combination of the Clifton even close to my size and one pair of those bowed, but didn't fit anyhow. On the shell Bradley's I had ordered both shoes on the first pair bowed badly so I sent them back and the quote above is what I was told. On the second pair one shoe bowed badly and the other did not, I returned them for a third try. After 9 months from the time I had placed the original order I still had not received a pair that wasn't defective and AE allowed me to purchase the Dundee in all 5 colors of shell that they offer without any custom charges, so I'm not complaining....
smile.gif

Some SA's will say that the bowing is caused by lack of volume caused by flat feet. My feet are so flat that even foot doctors say I have the flattest feet they have ever seen. If it wasn't for the end of Nam I would never had made it into the service. Most all of my AE shoes fit perfectly however so I'm not buying it. If they bow and bother you, return them. If you can live with it and it doesn't bother you then keep them.

My shell Cambridge were a little loose across the topline when I got them. Not bad but a little bit different from my other 5 lasted shoes. They now bow sometimes but it is usually very slight compared to the others that bowed and I returned. I wore them today, they are still one of my favorite shoes.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ack!
crazy.gif
That's a blucher. I hope that is not their only upcoming boot offering.

No, but the others are no better. Chukkas with velcro straps and a split toe with velcro straps . . it's unbelievable. They've been introducing crazy shoes lately, but this goes too far.

images

images

shoes_iaec1272501.jpg

reidrothchild

Reaction score
It is. I got a sneak peak at the upcoming s/s 2013 offerings. Thankfully, they did not include any of those shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads