• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2011Six

Reaction score
Question... Does anyone have pictures of a burnished brown pair of AEs next to a pair of bourban? I'm on the fence between my next purchase. Most likely will be a park avenue or fifth in one of the two colors mentioned above but would love to see a comparison picture or any SF opinions to help me decide.

If it matters, I have a pair of black hales, walnut strands and a random pair of cordovan (colored) cap toes. Any advice is appreciated.

Berob

Reaction score
So I've got a modest collection of AE going and would like to add a wingtip to it. My current line-up consists of black PA, merlot PA, brown Fifth Avenue, walnut Strands, and burgandy shell Randolphs. I have seen the McAllister, MacNeil, Jefferson, and Cambridge (shell only?) mentioned frequently, but I'd like to know what model you prefer/recommend and why, as well as what color you think would be most appropriate for me given my current inventory. If it matters, I'm in commercial banking and wear a suit 4 - 5 days per week. Thank you.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've got a modest collection of AE going and would like to add a wingtip to it. My current line-up consists of black PA, merlot PA, brown Fifth Avenue, walnut strands, and burgandy shell Randolphs. I have seen the McAllister, MacNeil, Jefferson, and Cambridge (shell only?) mentioned frequently, but I'd like to know what model you prefer/recommend and why, as well as what color would be most appropriate for me given my current inventory. If it matters, I'm in commercial banking and wear a suit 4 - 5 days per week. Thank you.
Since you plan on wearing this with a suit, I would skip the McNeil, as it is a more casual shoe (longwing blucher).

I believe the McAllister, Cambridge and Jefferson are all basically the same design. The Cambridge is the shell version of the McAllister, and the Jefferson is the upgraded version of the McAllister in the independence collection (better leather and a few details basically). To further complicate things, I believe a bourbon version of the McAllister is available (called the Amsterdam), though I can't seem to fnd it on the AE site.

The McAllister in merlot is my recommendation, and is your cheapest option. I would skip black (save it for the PA) and walnut (you already have walnut strands). The merlot color works well with gray and charcoal suits, and possibly navy, though I haven't tried this. Shell, as nice as it is, is a less formal leather, as is the double leather sole of the Cambridge. They could still work with suits, though.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you plan on wearing this with a suit, I would skip the McNeil, as it is a more casual shoe (longwing blucher).

I believe the McAllister, Cambridge and Jefferson are all basically the same design. The Cambridge is the shell version of the McAllister, and the Jefferson is the upgraded version of the McAllister in the independence collection (better leather and a few details basically). To further complicate things, I believe a bourbon version of the McAllister is available (called the Amsterdam), though I can't seem to fnd it on the AE site.

The McAllister in merlot is my recommendation, and is your cheapest option. I would skip black (save it for the PA) and walnut (you already have walnut strands). The merlot color works well with gray and charcoal suits, and possibly navy, though I haven't tried this. Shell, as nice as it is, is a less formal leather, as is the double leather sole of the Cambridge. They could still work with suits, though.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't think I've heard that shell itself is considered less formal. Is that a personal belief or a mainstream "rule"?

TheSizzle

Reaction score

The bourbon version of the McAllister was released through Urban Daddy as a limited run, using the name of Amsterdam. However, I've been lead to believe that it will appear on the AE website under the McAllister's color options within the next month.

As far as recommendations, I'd agree with msulinski.
- The McNeil is a longwing blucher, which makes it absolutely casual in nature.
- The McAllister is a beautiful, wingtip balmoral that comes in at a relatively low price point (relative to the following two). Picking it up in a merlot color would probably work quite nicely, and you could still dress it up. Going for a walnut or bourbon will push it more in the casual direction.
- The Jefferson is an interesting design with a lower wing and some different accents near the eyelets. It looks great in person, and I'd consider it a bit more formal than the McAllister, but choosing it over the McAllister would be just personal preference.
- The Cambridge would be a fantastic addition to your shell game, but there would be a definite price jump.

Looking at your current collection and circumstances, berob, I would probably back msulinski's merlot McAllister recommendation.

allysan1027

Reaction score
anybody have experience buying from Ebay? There's a seller "hitch n post" which has a number of used styles under $100.

would that be a good idea? or should I stick to clearance/sales

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anybody have experience buying from Ebay? There's a seller "hitch n post" which has a number of used styles under $100.
would that be a good idea? or should I stick to clearance/sales

Hitch n Post is reputable and easy to work with. They also accept returns on most models.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't think I've heard that shell itself is considered less formal. Is that a personal belief or a mainstream "rule"?
My understanding is that it is a mainstream rule, or at least one widely adhered to on this forum. That doesn't mean you can't wear the Cambridges with suits, but I think the McAllister has the edge on formality with a combination of the single leather sole and calf.

Here are a few links I dug up on the formality of shell vs. calf:
http://putthison.com/post/28843198980/the-navy-sport-coat-of-shoes-in-my-opinion
http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=304&doing_wp_cron=1357766101.9037210941314697265625
http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/106lx6/renalans_visual_guide_to_dress_shoes/

Edit: It appears the reasoning behind shell being less formal than calf is that it does not shine as well, as well as being more rugged.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that it is a mainstream rule, or at least one widely adhered to on this forum. That doesn't mean you can't wear the Cambridges with suits, but I think the McAllister has the edge on formality with a combination of the single leather sole and calf.

http://putthison.com/post/28843198980/the-navy-sport-coat-of-shoes-in-my-opinion
http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=304&doing_wp_cron=1357766101.9037210941314697265625
http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/106lx6/renalans_visual_guide_to_dress_shoes/

Edit: It appears the reasoning behind shell being less formal than calf is that it does not shine as well, as well as being more rugged.

Well, you learn something new every day... I have to admit that this "rule" doesn't seem as obvious to me as all the others, but they people who write that stuff know their stuff.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is decent advice.

However, many men - and I mean many - wear MacNeils with suits. But I am not one of them.

The shell v. calf debate - as to the issue of formality - is an interesting one. I have two black captoe Bals: (1) Edward Green Chelsea (black calf), and (2) Alden black shell. If each pair was well taken care of, and shined nicely, and a survey was taken, say, of men (or women) who had any clue how to dress, one of two results would be produced: (1) a tie, or (2) the Alden black shell would be deemed more formal. And the smart money would be on option 2. There is no black calf, at any price point, that shines like Alden's black shell.

As an aside, IMO, AE has taken a step in the right direction with its new finish on its black shell.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE's shell - at least before they changed their finishes - was many times dull, almost opaque. Indeed, it was what kept me for the most part from buying its shell (although I still did from time to time).

So my commnets below do not include AE's "old" shell.

I have dozens of calf models and dozens of shell models, from various makers, shoes and boots. This is demonstrably false on both accounts. Nothing personal, it's just not true.

Last edited:

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Now that I've thought about it a little bit more, I'm leaning towards the Lombard as well. I already have a few boots as it is (Krause/Timberland/Clarks DB). Though if I find a black or brown Bayfield in CXL, I'll pounce on that.

I think I'll let Edward know that I want the Lombard. Thanks again for the help, gentlemen.

I had a tough time with the Lombard. It fit noticeably tighter than my other 9D AEs. Had to send mine back.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question... Does anyone have pictures of a burnished brown pair of AEs next to a pair of bourban? I'm on the fence between my next purchase. Most likely will be a park avenue or fifth in one of the two colors mentioned above but would love to see a comparison picture or any SF opinions to help me decide.

If it matters, I have a pair of black hales, walnut strands and a random pair of cordovan (colored) cap toes. Any advice is appreciated.

Not the greatest photo, but here is a photo of my Bourbon Flatirons between Brown Parkway and Walnut McAllister

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads