• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I think that's the deal with mine too. There seemed to be a few loose hairs just by looking at the brush initially. I think the shedding will reduce to a lesser extent eventually then.

kconant

Reaction score
I work for the Allen Edmonds outlet in Charleston, SC and just wanted to reassure you that the horsehair brush you purchased is the same quality as the brushes sold online. A slight amount of shedding is expected. Let me know if you have any other questions.

kconant

Reaction score
I work for the Allen Edmonds outlet in Charleston, SC and just wanted to reassure you that the horsehair brushes sold at our outlets are the same quality as those sold online. A slight amount of shedding is expected. Let me know if you have any other questions.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I work for the Allen Edmonds outlet in Charleston, SC and just wanted to reassure you that the horsehair brushes sold at our outlets are the same quality as those sold online. A slight amount of shedding is expected. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you sir!

kconant

Reaction score
I'm a miss, actually.
smile.gif
You're quite welcome.

Willin

Reaction score
I recently purchased the new Bourbon Calf strands in the 5 last with an E width. I have Strands in a EE width that fit like a glove but unfortunately the Bourbon Calf's aren't yet available in that size. EEE felt too wide on my feet at the store.

Long story short the E width I received seems a bit too small for my (hobbit-like) feet. Does anyone here have experience with getting their shoes professionally stretched at a cobbler? Is it effective or not worth trying? I am a bit concerned these are too small all around so I may resell them anyhow but I'm curious about stretching.

Thanks!

2011Six

Reaction score
How do the Brooks Brothers AEs differ from the regular Allen Edmonds? I remember this being discussed in this thread but did not fully understand the answer. I know they have the dovetail heel and the combination sole, but is that it? Also, do people generally like the combination sole compared to a full leather one? Also, is the inside of the shoe more padded for comfort?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of BB Walnut Strand seconds and wanted your guys' input. Thanks in advance.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the Brooks Brothers AEs differ from the regular Allen Edmonds? I remember this being discussed in this thread but did not fully understand the answer. I know they have the dovetail heel and the combination sole, but is that it? Also, do people generally like the combination sole compared to a full leather one? Also, is the inside of the shoe more padded for comfort?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of BB Walnut Strand seconds and wanted your guys' input. Thanks in advance.

Here is my post (below in bold) from several weeks ago talking about the differences between the Brooks Brothers vs. regular AE's. The poron insole is the difference in addition to the combination sole you already talked about. Let me know if you still have questions concerning the insole difference. I'll let others address their preferences on the combination sole. I like the look of the traditional leather, but recognize the value of the combination sole. I'm not opposed to it, and nearly bought a shoe with it a couple of weeks ago. The general opinion seems to be positive on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent

The BB Strands are definitely on the same last, so no worries there. As for the Poron insole, there are implications. In the end it likely comes down to personal preference. The Poron is a high-density foam that was actually developed by NASA. The shoe still has the cork filling just like the natural leather insoled versions do. They will still form to your foot, etc. They still have AE's exemplary customer service and recrafting standing behind them.

I think the implications of using Poron rather than the natural leather insole come down to potential implications in the long term durability of the shoe. Don't take this as gospel, because it is hard to find anything online that is definitive. That said, in goodyear-welting, the canvas rib (gemming) is bonded to the underside of a natural leather insole, to which the welt and upper are stitched. The natural leather insole and the cork underneath form to your foot. Leather is a very durable and resilient material, and if your shoes get wet during a downpour one day, they will dry, and if properly cared for they should be good to go a few days later. With the Poron insoles, they are not using the natural leather insole. The canvas gemming is bonded to the bottom of a fiberboard insole, and the Poron insole is glued on top. Therefore, the foundation of the shoe is fiberboard rather than a nice thick piece of natural leather. This may never matter, but bear in mind that fiberboard is a composite of paper and fiberglass that is formed into a thin, stiff, but flexible board. Paper isn't exactly made to get wet, so the consequences of the shoes getting wet could be worse than the consequences of a shoe with a natural leather insole getting wet. Take that for what it is worth, and don't read too much into it. I'm not saying that an AE with a natural leather insole will last you X amount of time and an AE with a Poron insole with last you X amount of time. I just think that if you like to buy shoes with as few "weak links" as possible then the natural leather insole is better.

Last edited:

supernsx

Reaction score

I tried on both the BB and AE Strands and the Poron sole on BB is so much more comfortable than the AE. Because of that, I went with BB on both Strand and FA. They are most comfortable dress shoes that I have in my rotation.

2011Six

Reaction score
Thank you for the very indepth breakdown. I am with you in the fact that I like the appearance of leather soles better but I'm a big fan of the dovetail heel and I wear through my soles so quickly that maybe the rubber top would be a good move. Thanks again.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys I recently bought 3 AE horsehair brushes through the Outlet and have used all three. Unfortunately all of them shed a lot of hair. Is this normal? Will it go away after a few more uses? I've only used each once so far. Wondering if the quality of the brushes from the outlet are different? I didn't think so though as they're the same price as on the AE website.

The first time I used the couple brushes I have, I thought all the bristles were coming off, it was that much. After the second or third time, none really come off. They're from Moneysworth and Best, not AE, but I don't imagine there's a lot of variation in the source of brushes at that price range. So don't worry about it.

ajmanouk

Reaction score

I recently purchased the new Bourbon Calf strands in the 5 last with an E width. I have Strands in a EE width that fit like a glove but unfortunately the Bourbon Calf's aren't yet available in that size. EEE felt too wide on my feet at the store.
Long story short the E width I received seems a bit too small for my (hobbit-like) feet. Does anyone here have experience with getting their shoes professionally stretched at a cobbler? Is it effective or not worth trying? I am a bit concerned these are too small all around so I may resell them anyhow but I'm curious about stretching.
Thanks!

if theyre a size 13 maybe i can take em off your hands ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads