• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.michael

Reaction score

:D A WORD OF ENCOURAGEMENT TO MANY:
I have literally dozens of shell models from various makers - shoes and boots. I am honestly baffled by this talk of constant extensive brushing. I have never done that (constant extensive brushing), and don't plan to start. Do I brush - sure - but mostly only before and after a treatment; and from time to time inbetween treatments. And a good brushing right out of the box is a good idea. Beyond that, a damp soft cloth (or even dry cloth) before wearing (and quick buff) and damp cloth after wearing does the trick for me. And I'd like to think my shoes and boots look pretty good. :nodding:
On my feet today: Alden Saddles (cigar shell/snuff suede) from Leffot. Were they brushed this morning? No. Will they be brushed tonight? No.
This is not a criticism of anyone - if you like to brush, then keep doing it. But I fear that many that are new to the Shell game have this idea that keeping shell shoes/boots looking nice takes alot of never-ending work. It doesn't.
A good weekend to one and all.

I second all of this. No need to overcomplicate it. In addition, after your brushing, always, Always, ALWAYS buff with either a 100% cotton cloth/t-shirt or a nylon sock/stocking in order to get the shine out. Brushing, especially on the non-Alden shell shoes, can leave a dull finish that needs a final buffing to get a good shine.

I wear mine, then about every other wearing, brush the creases for about 20-30 seconds to spread any waxes that have been squeexed out, and then buff for a few seconds and they look awesome. Go easy on the Reno and wax as well. 15 minutes of brushing is unnecessary and physically taxing--I personally do not have the time for it anyway.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of years ago someone that is a regular poster on here posted on another site a pair of his 15 year Leeds that he treated with Sno-Seal to handle foul weather. A little research yielded that others have done the same with shell and it looks pretty decent and also works well. That set into motion the idea of me doing the same for a pair of shell boots, but I wouldn't want to do it to a pair of good dress boots. Last year I missed out on a pair of Ron Rider gunmetal shell boots that would have been perfect, they were on clearance for less $500. By the time I filled out my CC info they gone. Hopefully the 744 will fit the bill, If not no hurry and nothing lost except time. Hopefully it will be time well spent
smile.gif

I SnoSealed my 721's and then Kiwi-ed them this week. I need to get unlazy and post pics. It shined them up significantly more than how they left new from AE.

kentyman

Reaction score
Agreed - the Strands are great. I am now torn between the Walnut Strand and the new Bourbon Strand.
Chris

While I kinda feel left out for not having the practically mandatory Walnut Strand, I also kinda like switching it up by having the Bourbon. That said, the Walnut really is beautiful. Maybe I'll get Walnut McAllisters one day...

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While I kinda feel left out for not having the practically mandatory Walnut Strand, I also kinda like switching it up by having the Bourbon. That said, the Walnut really is beautiful. Maybe I'll get Walnut McAllisters one day...

Here's a little something to push you towards the Walnut McAllister

Chris

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second all of this. No need to overcomplicate it. In addition, after your brushing, always, Always, ALWAYS buff with either a 100% cotton cloth/t-shirt or a nylon sock/stocking in order to get the shine out. Brushing, especially on the non-Alden shell shoes, can leave a dull finish that needs a final buffing to get a good shine.
I wear mine, then about every other wearing, brush the creases for about 20-30 seconds to spread any waxes that have been squeexed out, and then buff for a few seconds and they look awesome. Go easy on the Reno and wax as well. 15 minutes of brushing is unnecessary and physically taxing--I personally do not have the time for it anyway.

I use a nylon stocking for all my shoes shell and calf, before I put them away and when I pull them out again. It only takes a few seconds for each shoe. It was my secret weapon in the military for 20 years. I would tell my men that how they obtained the stocking was up to them. But asking a lady for her stockings was not exactly the best pick up line out of the gate. at least a respectable and sober lady. As a closer after you talk for awhile, that is a different story...

Got my dark brown Dundee's just now. Actually 2 pair of dark brown, I think one belongs to bucksfan?? Picked one of the pair out and waiting for a shipping label on the other. Still to come are the truffle and walnut but so far extremely pleased with my decision.

bucksfan

Reaction score
^^ Nice - they weren't 12D were they?

Those look great. Congratulations again!

Last edited:

johnnyletrois

Reaction score

This has been my experience. I'm an 11.5 D on the 5 last, and I think most say you should be the same size on the 1 last. Both 11.5 D and 12 D Malverns were too tight in the toe box for me, and I gave up after that.

I'm 11D on the 5 last. Tried 11D in Malvern and way too tight. Tried 11E in Malvern and way too loose. WTF Malvern!!??!?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Nice - they weren't 12D were they?

Those look great. Congratulations again!

Thanks for your help, they do look great and no regrets!

If the others were a 12D I'd send them your way and sort it all out later LOL.

I'm 11D on the 5 last. Tried 11D in Malvern and way too tight. Tried 11E in Malvern and way too loose. WTF Malvern!!??!?

According to Barbra a CS rep who has been at AE for 30 years it is because the Malvern has memory foam in it. It is a strange fitting beast and I could not get it to work either.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the detailed information on the 744. I am afraid that we likely have a very strong similarity in boot style, but I will know for sure in a couple of weeks when I get back home. The shoebank did have a pair in my size for $399 so I ordered them. They are having a 20% off sale on all boots right now but not these unfortunately. I have a pair of AE Benton shoes and they are my least favorite AE shoe, the too short toe cap is part of the reason. But I also don't care for the elongated toe cap that many on SF seem to prefer. I am afraid the high toebox might also be a deal breaker as it would also add in to the blobby factor. Fingers crossed and by using the shoebank I can easily return them if I don't like them or defects are too much. At full price I would get a pair of NST boots in the same color shell instead.

Couple of years ago someone that is a regular poster on here posted on another site a pair of his 15 year Leeds that he treated with Sno-Seal to handle foul weather. A little research yielded that others have done the same with shell and it looks pretty decent and also works well. That set into motion the idea of me doing the same for a pair of shell boots, but I wouldn't want to do it to a pair of good dress boots. Last year I missed out on a pair of Ron Rider gunmetal shell boots that would have been perfect, they were on clearance for less $500. By the time I filled out my CC info they gone. Hopefully the 744 will fit the bill, If not no hurry and nothing lost except time. Hopefully it will be time well spent
smile.gif

What a score for $399!! I might have overlooked my concerns about the boot at that price. Hope they work out for you and please post pics IRL.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anybody has a coupon for AE firsts and would not mind sharing please PM me. I need to buy a Longbranch and they don't have seconds at my size. Help is appreciated.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I use a nylon stocking for all my shoes shell and calf, before I put them away and when I pull them out again. It only takes a few seconds for each shoe. It was my secret weapon in the military for 20 years. I would tell my men that how they obtained the stocking was up to them. But asking a lady for her stockings was not exactly the best pick up line out of the gate. at least a respectable and sober lady. As a closer after you talk for awhile, that is a different story...

Got my dark brown Dundee's just now. Actually 2 pair of dark brown, I think one belongs to bucksfan?? Picked one of the pair out and waiting for a shipping label on the other.
Still to come are the truffle and walnut but so far extremely pleased with my decision.

So truffle/cappuccino and walnut are both available for MTO?

bucksfan

Reaction score
Yes, typically something on black Friday. (definitely the outlets, maybe retail as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads