Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jch1

jch1 Senior member

These are the boxes you get with the independence collection.

2. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I own a pair of Bentons - no pictures though. I'm not crazy about them myself for two reasons. One, they look a little kludgy to me, and I'm not one who constantly hates on Allen Edmonds for not having sleek enough lasts. I just think this particular shoe (or perhaps the last it is on) is blobby.
    Second, the fit is not good for me. That may be just a sizing issue though.

More important observation: I think the last is a little long. I'm normally a 10.5 E in AE lasts, and a 10 on the 5. My Bentons are 10.5 E and I think I would have been better off with a 10 (not sure what width would have fit best). Make sure you compare to the correct 8 last for sizing (Benton is on the 678)

3. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

4. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

I posted a couple weeks ago. Following up just once with some pictures before I take these to B&S:

The Player's have minor issue with the stitch channeling on the leather sole. Pictures illustrate this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rush are part of the Independence Collection, one of AE's higher line of shoes. The only imperfection I notice is the minor cut on the right heel slip. The right shoe also appears slightly lighter in color. A few layers of polish will even this out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012

5. seer

seer Senior member

Thanks, great insight. I actually like the chunky look. I'm usually a 10E, I'm going to try a 9.5E. BTW - how was the leather?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

The Nordstrom Rack near me has a lot of Fairfaxes and they are definitely all chili. It is strange that the catalogs from when they were made seem to say that the color is merlot, but those look like chili to me as well. The box should have the color on it, did they not come with the box? There is nothing wrong with using neutral polish, but eventually you will probably want a colored polish to cover up the inevitable scuffs, etc.

7. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

I have the Fairfax and the Hale in Chili... both from Nordy Rack.
    The one consistent thing I can say about the Chili color at the Rack is that they are pretty inconsistent in tone. Some are light red, some are really red, and some are brickish in color.

I prefer my Chili to be more on the red side (but not too brown) to differentiate them from the truffle shell, burgundy calf/shell, walnut, and lighter browns.
    I use the AE Chili premium polish on mine, then follow it up with Kiwi Oxblood. The Oxblood is not the Cordovan color, but in fact called Oxblood; red in comparison to the dark Cordovan.
    Below is a comparison shot with a truffle shell, chili calf, chestnut calf, and walnut calf. With a color as dark as yours, I would definitely go with the Chili AE polish and Kiwi Oxblood combo.

8. lobox42

lobox42 Member

I enjoy this forum two months ago because I get my firts pair of shoes from AE the Webgems the Macneil Blue,White and Red they are a nice shoes and after that I get ttwo pairs of Players color White and sand and the last ones the Strawfut in Black, the only problem I have is I can't use this shoes and I need some help here because you guys the expertys in this brand the shoes, the Webgems came with rubber sole and the other I own not! I love to put the sole in my other shoes in that way I can't ruin my shoes, Thank you!!!

9. horsey shoes

Burgundy shell Fifth Streets came in while I was out last week. I was finally able to do some initial brushing and take a pic.
    In comparison to the Cambridge in burgundy shell I purchased about a year ago, they are darker in color... not sure if this is because of the new burnishing process or not.
    Very pleased with these and they almost look too good to wear!

Still waiting on the black shell Fifth Streets to land. The first make up, that should have arrived with these, was damaged during manufacturing. New make up should land late next week.
    If you are an 8E in the 5 last, may want to check the Shoebank to see if the first make up is available.

[​IMG]

10. horsey shoes

I have the Fairfax and the Hale in Chili... both from Nordy Rack.
    The one consistent thing I can say about the Chili color at the Rack is that they are pretty inconsistent in tone. Some are light red, some are really red, and some are brickish in color.

I prefer my Chili to be more on the red side (but not too brown) to differentiate them from the truffle shell, burgundy calf/shell, walnut, and lighter browns.
    I use the AE Chili premium polish on mine, then follow it up with Kiwi Oxblood. The Oxblood is not the Cordovan color, but in fact called Oxblood; red in comparison to the dark Cordovan.
    Below is a comparison shot with a truffle shell, chili calf, chestnut calf, and walnut calf. With a color as dark as yours, I would definitely go with the Chili AE polish and Kiwi Oxblood combo.

[​IMG]

11. khe86

khe86 Senior member

From the two fairfax you have there, mine is definitely the first one. I guess that's classified as chili rather than merlot? I talked with a more experienced AE salesperson today and she told me the fairfax only came in black, chili, and walnut, so I guess chili it is.

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I own the Benton in Chili. I really like the shoe - it is one of the most comfortable AE shoes I own with the padded insole. I feel the style works great for business casual, but I don't wear mine with suits. The leather is on par with my other AE's. I have the Benton in the same size as 95% of my other AE shoes (same size as all my non-Rough Collection AE's).
    [​IMG]

Chris

13. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

9.5D. The whole sole is the new "v sole" or whatever its called, right?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

14. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 Senior member

Coming up on week 6 with no Amsterdams still [​IMG]

15. lordjeebus

lordjeebus Well-Known Member

I'm about to enter week 9 with no cordovan Daltons...They say it'll be 2-3 more weeks.

I ordered in the first hour they became available, too. I suppose they didn't anticipate the response they got.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.