• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpag

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know all of this has probably been discussed ad nauseum on here, but can anyone give me some pointers on caring for the cognac McTavish? What color edge dressing should I apply? Also, what products do people use for the upper? I know what AE says, but I'm wondering if I can get some better advice here. Thanks!

bucksfan

Reaction score
Excellent collection, and they appear well maintained as others have pointed out. Depending on climate, perhaps another rubber soled shoe/boot? Or maybe a light brown loafer for summer/sockless wear?

Thanks! I appreciate the input. I really don't walk outside all that much during my daily commute, and if/when I do in bad weather, I've been known to use tingley overshoes. I do have my eye on a nice casual penny loafer.

Burgundy shell leeds today:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! I appreciate the input. I really don't walk outside all that much during my daily commute, and if/when I do in bad weather, I've been known to use tingley overshoes. I do have my eye on a nice casual penny loafer.

Yeah, if you do overshoes, then you likely don't need another rubber soled option.

Burgundy shell leeds today:

Nice combo.

Last edited:

dancingbear

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had the Allen Edmonds retail store stretch a loafer before? The Patriots are really tight across the vamp for me and they want to try stretching them out. I have never had a shoe stretched before. Any thoughts?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had the Allen Edmonds retail store stretch a loafer before? The Patriots are really tight across the vamp for me and they want to try stretching them out. I have never had a shoe stretched before. Any thoughts?

Is it too late to return them? Have you exhausted all size combinations to make sure there isn't a better fitting size? If you are stuck with a pair that you can't return and you consider them to be un-wearable without stretching, then go for it. Otherwise, I would be afraid of causing permanent distortion to the shoe, which is a bit of a gamble since it still may not be quite what you are looking for.

dancingbear

Reaction score
Is it too late to return them? Have you exhausted all size combinations to make sure there isn't a better fitting size? If you are stuck with a pair that you can't return and you consider them to be un-wearable without stretching, then go for it. Otherwise, I would be afraid of causing permanent distortion to the shoe, which is a bit of a gamble since it still may not be quite what you are looking for.

I haven't worn them outside so I could return them. But I do have a size problem. I am a 14/15 with a narrow heel. I cannot find a quality loafer that fits me well. I get heel slippage on most AE loafers. I really would like a shell loafer and am thinking that a 15 calf stretched might be close to the sizing on a shell Patriot. A bit of an experiment.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't worn them outside so I could return them. But I do have a size problem. I am a 14/15 with a narrow heel. I cannot find a quality loafer that fits me well. I get heel slippage on most AE loafers. I really would like a shell loafer and am thinking that a 15 calf stretched might be close to the sizing on a shell Patriot. A bit of an experiment.
Gotcha. Any chance that the AE store is willing to take the blame if the shoe still doesn't fit properly? If not that may be an expensive experiment.

0ShinAkuma0

Reaction score
I need some help, I'm looking for a pair of boots that is like ones in the below picture
Burgundy (or dark brown, I can't really tell), sleek, lace up, captoe or plaintoe (no chukkas). AE unfortunately doesn't offer this.
So if possible, could you suggest me something like this boot? Thanks!

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've read a couple of reviews complaining that the heels on Park Avenues have a tendency to fall off. I think this is happening to mine. Not quite sure what I should do about it. Wait for it to become even more undone then take it to a cobbler? Take it to a cobbler now (and with both, how good does the cobbler need to be)? Pull it off (is that even possible) and reattach it with some special shoe glue?

Beyond the basic shoe care, I know nothing of shoes. I posted here instead of the shoe care thread because I figured you guys have more experience with AE's.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some help, I'm looking for a pair of boots that is like ones in the below picture
Burgundy (or dark brown, I can't really tell), sleek, lace up, captoe or plaintoe (no chukkas). AE unfortunately doesn't offer this.

Hard to tell since the picture won't get any bigger and there isn't any detail, but they look like they could be a Color #8 plain-toe or cap-toe boot offered by Alden to me.

dancingbear

Reaction score
Gotcha. Any chance that the AE store is willing to take the blame if the shoe still doesn't fit properly? If not that may be an expensive experiment.

Good thought. I will ask them.

What kind of damage could stretching do? I am just not familiar with the process.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thought. I will ask them.

What kind of damage could stretching do? I am just not familiar with the process.

It is essentially using a wooden form to force the leather to stretch beyond what your foot would otherwise be able to do. In other words, the shoe is formed to it's shape on a specific last, and then it conforms to your foot to a certain degree through wear. The stretching form will force the leather to go beyond the original last size. The problem is that stretchers are not last or foot specific, so there can't be a guarantee that the area stretched will be the best area that you need it stretched. It is kinda like forcing an oversized shoe tree into your shoe. It may or may not have the effect that you want. Once the shoe is stretched, it can't be shrunk back. Also, during recrafting down the road, they re-last the shoe while replacing the welt, cork, sole, and heel. The shoe will be larger than the last after stretching, so part of the re-crafting process will not be quite as effective.

Michael Haines

Reaction score

I need some help, I'm looking for a pair of boots that is like ones in the below picture 

Hard to tell but would a shell Burgandy dalton not work

dancingbear

Reaction score
It is essentially using a wooden form to force the leather to stretch beyond what your foot would otherwise be able to do. In other words, the shoe is formed to it's shape on a specific last, and then it conforms to your foot to a certain degree through wear. The stretching form will force the leather to go beyond the original last size. The problem is that stretchers are not last or foot specific, so there can't be a guarantee that the area stretched will be the best area that you need it stretched. It is kinda like forcing an oversized shoe tree into your shoe. It may or may not have the effect that you want. Once the shoe is stretched, it can't be shrunk back. Also, during recrafting down the road, they re-last the shoe while replacing the welt, cork, sole, and heel. The shoe will be larger than the last after stretching, so part of the re-crafting process will not be quite as effective.

Great explanation. Thank you!

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read a couple of reviews complaining that the heels on Park Avenues have a tendency to fall off. I think this is happening to mine. Not quite sure what I should do about it. Wait for it to become even more undone then take it to a cobbler? Take it to a cobbler now (and with both, how good does the cobbler need to be)? Pull it off (is that even possible) and reattach it with some special shoe glue?

Beyond the basic shoe care, I know nothing of shoes. I posted here instead of the shoe care thread because I figured you guys have more experience with AE's.

I vote for the last option. Post pic's of your success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads