1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I do not like the full toe shoe trees for this reason. As a size 12, I'm supposed to use the XL shoe trees, and observed the same things you mention with the full toe shoe trees: shoe tree fully compressed and not fitting into the shoe very easily or extending into the toe much. I have a pair of full toe shoe trees in a pair of boots, but otherwise go exclusively with the combination trees for this reason.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I agree. Weybridge not my thing. I'm pretty sure the Quinton comes on a Dainite-type rubber sole, which makes it a good foul weather shoe, as well. Maybe confirm with AE that it's true. Also, the one I tried on felt a little narrow, but that's likely because it's an Oxford compared to my Clinton derby. But I like it, and for $125, can't go wrong.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

This depends on your shoe size. The Washburn in large happens to fit my shoe size perfectly, and it is not only full toe, but also has the ridge on it. On the other hand, the Woodlore Epic gives me the same problem as you cite here. If you're on the edge with one of the sizes, you're better off with split-toe.

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

They are a bit more casual though. What are everyone's thoughts on the Quinton with a suit? And does anyone know what type of sole it has?

5. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Interesting. Perhaps my instinct was correct, and the trees are indeed too tight. So you found that the correct size combination trees for you shoe according to AE fit less tightly than the full toe trees? Do you have any experience with the Cedarville/Kirby Allison Epic shoe trees? I've seen a lot of reference to them here on the forums.

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I just found out it has a rubber sole. I am not interested anymore.

7. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I just placed an order this morning for the 2 for $250 sale. I got a pair of walnut players and the red white and blue macneils (Just like George W's pair). When I first got the list it had 2 pairs of the Townley in brown cordovan, but by the time I called a half hour later, they were both sold to the same person... So I missed out on the cordovan.

8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

What size are you? Just curious, I just ordered a pair of walnut Players too.

9. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I'm a 12d. The list showed they had 2 pair in that size when I placed the order this morning.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I use the Woodlore shoe trees that are $14 at Nordstrom Rack. They work just fine for me.

11. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Anyone got a comparison of the dark brown and burgundy?
    Preferably for the Kenwood loafers but I think the colors should be the same on any other shoe, no?

12. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Senior member

Just received my Amoks. Ordered TTS and they fit me perfectly.

Here's a shot of all I got, sorry for the crappy iPhotography:
    L to R: Park Avenue, Lloyd, Pembrooke, (someone can help me out w/ the third pair, eBay'd them and no visible model name), and lastly the Amok.

[​IMG]

13. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

They kinda look like a LaSalle but I can't be sure.

14. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Yep. I ordered 3 mediums when I bought a couple pairs in Boston last year. Ended up returning them because they were significantly larger than the medium splits. 10D, medium splits fit perfect.

15. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Does anyone have a pair of brown shell Strands and a pair of dark brown shell Dundees? I would like to see a picture of them side-by-side so I can see the color difference.

16. mudmutt

mudmutt Member

Looks like the Bradley's I have. That would be my guess.

17. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

I just got phone call from AE factory store and they said brown cordovan townley is not part of 2 for $250 promotion...:fu:

Did anyone score cordovan during close out sale?

18. Aryeah

Aryeah Active Member

I finally went ahead and ordered 2 pairs of AE's from the shoe bank, I got the BB walnut Strand and the McTavish Tan. Both were seconds, so i'll take a look and see if I can tell the difference between 1st's when I get them.

I tried on a 8.5D in the mctavish, which was too tight around the ball of my foot(8.5 E will also be too small), going up to a 9E should do the trick, but since they run big, will the BB Strand be too small? I know they are on the same lasts, but fit very differently. The mcTavish runs around a 1/2 size larger than the strand.

I wer different sizes in J&M shoes depending on lasts 8.5W in dobson toe cap, and 9W in XC4 style casual.

19. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

No, I think those are the Brandywood (they only have 4 eyelets, whereas the Bradley's have 5). They were made from 1993-1996. Quite a vintage pair you have got there!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  20. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

So I have a burning question stemming from an observation: it seems when most people post pics of their AEs in this thread (or any other shoe pics posted elsewhere in the forum for that matter), the laces are always tied, even when the shoes are not being worn. Are people tying the laces simply because it looks better in the picture, or is there a legitimate reason for re-tying the laces when you're not wearing your shoes? Lol. Totally serious question. Okay, only 50% serious...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.