• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whoo!!! You're the @mdubs of the AE thread! And you both take great photos. I'd like to see @bl@ster list also, but it might break the Internet.

Happy New Year everyone!
Haha I need to make sure I load the list of bl@ster when I'm home enjoying wifi. I might hit my cellular data limit and it's only Jan 1st :)

Seriously though looking at my list I realized if I had consolidated a few purchases I might have been able to afford one or two higher end shoes... But then I tried to imagine what I would be willing to part with and I can only really say the grey Aberdeens. But then that's my only grey shoes. Bottomline is, as much as I'd like to try the higher end makers, AE really is my sweet spot and is good enough for me to enjoy quantity and (good enough for me) quality.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will bite. My lists are simpler here.

Purchases of 2014:
-Brown Shell Strand MTO (x2)
-Walnut Shell Dundee MTO

Expecting Shortly:
-Natty Shell Strand MTO
-Natty Shell/Snuff Eagle County MTO
-Navy Shell Shell Grayson MTO
-Navy Shell Cap Toe Boot MTO (first avenue or something like that?)

Want list:
-Green Shell Tassel (keep waivering on these)
-Natty Shell Tassel
-Creativity still pending more...

I think that's about it!

-Mike

Another great list Mike. I cannot wait to see this one done up, it's going to be amazing.

Last edited:

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great list Mike. I cannot wait to see this one done up, it's going to be amazing.

Agreed, I played with some different leather ideas for the 6 standard makeups but couldn't come up with much.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Agreed, I played with some different leather ideas for the 6 standard makeups but couldn't come up with much. 

HaHa. I was keeping this one on the down low until I got them. I really wanted a pair of Edward Green Galways in Whisky Crup (Shell Cordovan) and Suede, but they won't do the Galway in Shell (plus the price would be absorbanant), so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to get this design. It took a while to get them to do it as Shell and Suede have different lasting lengths, but I put all the Suede on the shaft, which doesn't get lasted anyways! :)

-Mike

Last edited:

jubu

Reaction score
Seems like a very merry xmas C!

Well that answers that!

Before the holidays I'd been dropping subtle hints to the wife in order to facilitate this year's gift-choosing experience.

We sadly spent Christmas apart this year at our respective family homes out of respect for elderly frailty on both sides, and I cannot say that I was surprised when this was delivered:

It was wrapped and placed under the tree. When we were finally back together and exchanged presents, I definitely did not expect this!

Very cool. I can source the Bleeckers myself later, I'm really digging the fun look of the Neumok with jeans, and the Flatiron reminds me of a Kenilworth with toe medallion. I find it to be a very sharp shoe.

I am also trying not to consider trading both shoes in on a pair of shell Dundees. I know, I know, I shouldn't be thinking such callous things, but I've had shell Dundee on the brain lately and this is my fastest way into a pair. Slime = me.

Happy New Year, all! May we all enjoy health, happiness and shell Dundees in 2015. :D

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Is there a way to get dull - rough shell to shine up? I picked these up on Shoe Bank and the right toe cap is dull compared to the left as you can see in the pic. Other than that they are pretty nice, but don't think I can live with the difference in shine....
Sorry to bump my own but ....for anyone who is 11 1/2D and is looking to get a burgundy shell PA, I did send these back to Riverhead NY. So if they look good to you, keep an eye out for them to show back up on Shoe Bank. Just FYI for those who might be interested....

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I'll play too, 2014 purchases plus those bought in 2013 but shipped only in 2014.

1. Navy suede Grayson MTO
2. Tan waxy saddle Eagle County MTO
3. Cayenne Carson City boots
4. Navy Eagle County MTO
5. Merlot Eagle County MTO
6. Natural CXL Walden MTO
7. Brogue suede Lakeshore Dr MTO
8. Sand suede Amok
9. Elgin
10. Stewart
11. Burgundy shell Grayson
12. Burgundy shell Leeds
13. Saratoga
14. Brown Grain San Marco
15. Chili grain MacNeil
17. Brown grain Eagle County MTO
18. Brown shell Bayfield MTO
19. Burgundy shell Strand MTO
20. Grey Aberdeen
21. Russet brown Clark St MTO
22. Walnut MacGregors x 2

Waiting for delivery in 2015
1. Natty shell MacNeil MTO
2. Navy shell Dundee MTO
3. Walnut Presidio
4. Black Park Ave
5. Bitter chocolate suede Badlands MTO
6. Brown CXL Long Branch
7. remake of merlot Eagle County MTO

It's going to be a great 2015!!!

Looks like you had a good 2014. Have a good and safe 2015.

CMT1

Reaction score

Seems like a very merry xmas C!

It was. I am very impressed that my wife would take the time to head to the AE store, speak with my SA for over an hour, and leave with these two killer shoes. While I also sourced her a present she loved, it took me less than five minutes to find and order it from Amazon.

For that reason there is no way that I can entertain the imbecilic idea of trading them for an awesome pair of sweet, wonderful, beautiful shell Dundees regardless of their blinding magnificence. It would be insultingly foolish, and I thank the good members of this forum for their sane and valued perspectives.

I tried them on this morning, and both went very well with my pajamas and dress socks:

I hope you are all enjoying this fine New Years Day, and again best wishes for 2015!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, CMT, that's one high instep you've got there.

CMT1

Reaction score

Taking a page from the Alden thread, I'd like to post my shoe year in review for 2014, and what I'm looking forward to in 2015!

Let's see, in 2014 I acquired:
Jefferson (black)
Rutledge (walnut)
Park Ave (burgundy shell)
Ardsley Park MTO (dark brown calf)
MacNeil (burg shell)
Voyager (brown)
McAllister MTO (navy suede)
Amok (snuff suede)
Long Branch (brown grain)
Shaker Heights MTO (chili)
Eagle County GMTO (navy calf)

Yikes.

Here's what I have incoming already in 2015:

Dundee MTO (natural shell)
Eagle River GMTO (oxblood calf)
Kenilworth MTO remake remake (brown shell)

And my non-AE wish list (both likely and unlikely):

Alden x Leffot unlined Dover (#8)
Alden plain toe boot or tanker boot on plaza last (#8)
Bonafe MTO suede or grain monkstrap on the 946 last
Any kind of shoe in olive or hunter green suede.

Very cool idea. In January 2014, my closet was empty of Allen Edmonds shoes.

In February I caught the bug with two shoes from their less-expensive AE line, and it all went downhill from there.

Feb - Sept

Chili Provo (AE line)
Black New Haven (AE line)
Bourbon Strand
Walnut Strand in Shell Cordovan
Tan Kenwood loafer
Merlot Walden loafer
White "Baseball" boat shoe
Burgundy Cambridge
Black Park Avenue
Chili Shaker Heights

After this came a pair of brown Shell Cordovan Strands, bringing my Strand total to 3:

My final purchase was an Oxblood Dalton:

And now the walnut Flatiron and blue Neumok, gifts from my wife for a total of 14 pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes in 2014.

I do not expect 2015 to yield anything close to this number. :D

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Heh. Thanks - it makes for an interesting shoe fitment at times, that's for sure.

Sounds like it's time for you to branch off into other brands in '15!

Enzo Bonafe has many lasts that cater to high insteps. Perhaps a good place to start?

Come to think of it, most AE lasts are relatively flat in the instep (which is why they fit me so well). Except maybe the 7 last. Have you tried the MacNeil or Jomoc? The eyestays on my MacNeil practically overlap.

Great haul (and photos) though!

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Last week I posted about the current sale Brooks Brothers was having, here's the selection I decided to take a look at-

Left to right:
Rancourt loafer with herringbone wool upper.
AE long wing with tartan wool
AE saddle with distressed tan leather
AE loafer with pop midsole ( burgundy and pebble brown)

Unfortunately loafers just don't fit me too well and being a 27 year old, look a bit too old-manish for me... Was thinking the herringbone and pop midsole would take care of that.

Interesting, the saddle shoes came in with a couple variances from the picture online. Missing the v-tread sole and split reverse welt, both were things I really wanted. By removing the split reverse welt the shoe becomes too formal looking for the type of leather.

Here's some addition detailed pics.

If anyone is interested in these shoes, let me know. I got them while BB was offering an additional discount on top of the sale prices, so these came about to be pretty low in cost. Sizes 10.5 and 11 for each of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michealhardy