1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoenoobie

shoenoobie Well-Known Member

I was fitted as 10.5D. I believed 10.5D was my size all along. Turns out, I fit into a 9.5 EEE. 9 EEE maybe with thin socks.

Try different width if you think you have wide feet. Going from 10.5D -> 9.5 EEE was a huge surprise, but in hindsight, it was worth knowing my correct size.

2. garland

garland Senior member

Timeline, I'm not sure. It's been in "the works" for a while. I would imagine that they should be dropping around mid November hopefully. It would be a shame to wait much longer than that from a demand stand point.

And I *think* I remember it being brown grain leather with the shearling lining, and dainite sole with a reverse welt. Who knows what it'll actually end up being though once it lands.

3. shoenoobie

Certainly, non black works so much better. your pair looks like it's closer to cloud walnut than bourbon?

4. garland

garland Senior member

The Thomastown should be a black friday shoe. It's the Kenilworth built on the 201 last, if I remember correctly.

2 people like this.
  5. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Did you refinish yourself or have a cobbler do it? If so, how did you do it?

6. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

agree - I'd buy those in a second

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Sounds like a winner to me!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

I emailed Allen Edmonds just to see if the issue was normal and they sent me a UPS shipping label and told me to send it in stating the issue and proof of purchase. I said in the email that I didn't purchase the shoes from Allen Edmonds. Do you think I can use an ebay receipt as a proof of purchase? Sound a little crazy but great if they honor it.

9. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I've always wondered what the motivation/thinking is behind these "new" models for Black Friday (I'm picturing the Carson City boot from a few years ago). Is it just a lot of extra leather lying around coupled with boredom? Is it a chance to "try out" a new idea as a sort of test market?

10. shoenoobie

My understanding is that they are sensitive with the price you paid. So if you paid like $80 for it, you might have issues.

11. garland

garland Senior member

Its probably a combination of all three, well maybe not boredom. Black Friday shoes are built on what's called a one and done. Basically they build a single run of them and when they're gone they're gone. Should be some other interesting styles for Black Friday as well.

1 person likes this.
  12. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Thanks. That makes sense to me so I guess I'll just send them back to the guy I bought them from for $75. Would be nice to get a comparable pair for AE but I don't think it's their responsibility to replace them.

13. shoenoobie

Yea that makes sense. LOL I nailed the price at $80 (roundedup!)

14. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Cross-posted:

So I bought a pair of older 'Lexington' cap-toe bluchers for the express purpose of experimentation.

I plan to:

1. Sand down sole edges and refinish antiqued
    2. Burnishing the heel and toe areas

My question is, what other things should I consider? Remember, these aren't shoes I wear and really don't ever have to be, so nothing is off the table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fox15

fox15 Well-Known Member

Have you thought about experimentation with dyeing? I thought about trying to make a "chili"-like red brown on a few seconds where the color wasn't offered

16. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

I hadn't, but dyeing them a little darker may help the burnish not be so extreme.

17. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I tried another pair in the same size in the store, and it seems the original pair was just a little bigger than normal. The salesperson was fairly brusque about it but they exchanged it for another pair in the same size.

18. fox15

fox15 Well-Known Member

If you want to do something less permanent, you can always strip it down and tint with a creme like I did with my strandmoks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Acetone to strip and then AE burgundy shoe cream to recolor

19. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

What about Renomat? That would strip, no?

20. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

How did you recolor the welt?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.